Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Let's be clear, a hard border at Gretna would be every bit as much of a disaster as a hard border in Ireland.

The whole technology argument is absolute bullshit. 

It wouldn't threaten the Good Friday Agreement and put the terrorism threat front and centre so as hard borders go, it's less of an issue. 

It would cause intra-UK issues but I don't suppose business in the North of England would be enthralled. Keep in mind that the hard border would be at England's behest as we'd support freedom of movement. In terms of supplies coming in from the EU, Scotland has enough about it to give England a bye. We've got plenty port and airport capacity. 

Edited by HTG

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

It wouldn't threaten the Good Friday Agreement and put the terrorism threat front and centre so as hard borders go, it's less of an issue. 

It would cause intra-UK issues but I don't suppose business in the North of England would be enthralled. Keep in mind that the hard border would be at England's behest as we'd support freedom of movement. In terms of supplies coming in from the EU, Scotland has enough about it to give England a bye. We've got plenty port and airport capacity. 

The problem is the many businesses in both Dumfries & Galloway and Cumbria that rely on the seamless transition between Scotland and England, the services that are shared between the area etc 

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

@The Skelpit Lug suggested it's not viable to give NI a special status without giving Scotland one.

For the sake of clarity here, you said in your argument NI would get special status. I asked if you were suggesting only NI would get this and not Scotland with highest remain vote. Never mentioned or suggested a hard border. Cheers.

Edited by The Skelpit Lug
Spelling

The problem is the many businesses in both Dumfries & Galloway and Cumbria that rely on the seamless transition between Scotland and England, the services that are shared between the area etc 

Tell that to the UK government who were almost onto building a wall rhetoric during the last referendum. It would hit the shitholes in the north England a whole lot more than it would Scotland.

52 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Tell that to the UK government who were almost onto building a wall rhetoric during the last referendum. It would hit the shitholes in the north England a whole lot more than it would Scotland.

Correct - military at the border. Utter bollocks when you see them twisting in the wind about "it won't be us that puts up a hard border with Ireland, it'll be the EU". UK is desperate to avoid a hard border but in 2014 were promoting the hardest of borders. 

The extension to Article 50 now likely to produce either a revocation of the aforesaid article or a 2nd Ref, which Remain are likely to win, based on a high proportion of Leave voters not bothering to turn out, thinking whats the point?

Can't see Brexit ever happening now. Tbh, as an ardent 'Remainer', it is still pretty shoddy that you can hold a vote where 17.5 million vote one way, and it just never gets implemented. Ultimately, it is better for the economy and the country to stay in, but what does it say about politics in the country?

It was still the case that, had Brexit actually happened, that in 5 or 10 years time we could have held another vote on reapplying for membership, once the full effects of it were felt. That in honesty would have been more democratic than just cancelling the whole show at this stage. 

Edited by Jedi

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The extension to Article 50 now likely to produce either a revocation of the aforesaid article or a 2nd Ref, which Remain are likely to win, based on a high proportion of Leave voters not bothering to turn out, thinking whats the point?

Wasn't the result of the first referendum expected to be a win for 'Remain'?

Indeed. However, few weeks ago I reckoned that Leavers would be so enraged by a 2nd Ref that they would turn out again, and swing it to their side. Now I think a lot of them won't bother, which could lead to a thumping Remain win...what happens after that (apart from staying in the EU obviously) who knows.

One thing I don't like about the EU tbh is their track record for re-voting until they get the result they want. I see a lot of plus points in the EU 'project' and still absolutely believe we are better off inside it, but the re-voting ain't one of them.

Also, surely the EU will come out and say 'okay, you can have an extension, but only to hold a 2nd Ref, otherwise whats the point'?

Edited by Jedi

45 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Indeed. However, few weeks ago I reckoned that Leavers would be so enraged by a 2nd Ref that they would turn out again, and swing it to their side. Now I think a lot of them won't bother, which could lead to a thumping Remain win...what happens after that (apart from staying in the EU obviously) who knows.

One thing I don't like about the EU tbh is their track record for re-voting until they get the result they want. I see a lot of plus points in the EU 'project' and still absolutely believe we are better off inside it, but the re-voting ain't one of them.

Also, surely the EU will come out and say 'okay, you can have an extension, but only to hold a 2nd Ref, otherwise whats the point'?

The Government have had 3 years to negotiate a deal with the EU and it's so shite, mainly because of May's red lines, that Parliament have thrown it out, twice and with record breaking majorities. When the Government is transparently incapable of doing the job it seems to me it would be quite honourable to ask the electorate to confirm or change their opinion. If the No Deal option had been the publicly advertised Leave position in the last referendum Remain would have won it at a stroll.

Edited by welshbairn