Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, welshbairn said:

Codpiece revealed, May's fucked unless the ERG and DUP ignore the back stop red herring and vote for it to avoid extending A50 and a likely softer brexit or public vote.

There was something last week suggesting that if it was a small defeat, they'd try again next week. Things have moved fast but you'd think though that they are done, I don't think the cabinet would let May do that again tbh.

Speculation this morning on Twitter that there's a lot of election chat as May would rather go to the electorate rather than allow the opposition to force her hand. I wonder if Corbyn will be prepared for a motion of no confidence after the vote. Not really sure why we had to wait the day last time, it was a bit later than 7pm but I think Bercow can give them the time to debate on it instantly and then vote the same evening.

1 minute ago, Sooky said:

I struggle to under the ERG position, surely this is going to be the hardest Brexit they get? Parliament will never allow no deal, so any future Brexit deal will surely be softer.

It doesn't really matter what the outcome is to them. It's more that they won't give their name to something like this and are 'principled'.

11 minutes ago, Paco said:

They walked back most of what they said in the referendum campaign, and have shown willingness to simply break treaty agreements before - ‘don’t pay the EU a penny’, and so on. They might vote it through and attempt to get an idiot like Johnson or Gove in charge to give them the Brexit they really want. Might be a better punt for them than risking an extension and possible GE/referendum.

The worst scenario would be a GE with May stepping down and Boris, who is by far the most popular amongst Tory members, becoming Prime Minister. That would complete the insanity of this decade, along with fascists taking over the European Parliament in May. I feel like I'm in a Star Trek style nightmare alternative universe.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, Londonwell said:

If May's deal is voted down and then a no deal scenario is rejected tomorrow does anyone know if that is even legally enforceable?

They can rule out No deal all they like, if we get to March 29th with the EU not in agreement it's No Deal by default.

13 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

If May's deal is voted down and then a no deal scenario is rejected tomorrow does anyone know if that is even legally enforceable?

If No Deal is voted down it triggers an extension of A50 vote, if that passes the EU would have to agree to avoid crashing out on March 29th.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Just watched JRM grilling the Brexit Sec. Going by that exchange you wouldn't think the ERG are going to back this.

If the ERG or DUP back this after Cox’s advice it would show them as a bunch of lying gutless c***s.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If the ERG or DUP back this after Cox’s advice it would show them as a bunch of lying gutless c***s.

They may feel they are still able to spin their way out of it but looks rather unlikely at the moment.

Edited by Londonwell

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

They may feel they are still able to spin there way out of it but looks rather unlikely at the moment.

They could argue it's the only way to guarantee respecting the referendum result and leaving the EU on March 29th. With a heavy heart of course. I don't really think they give a f**k about the backstop, if they think a hard brexit is ruled out they might cave.

Edited by welshbairn

I see the packages being sent London and Glasgow have been claimed by someone stating they are the IRA, worrying times ahead with the Irish situation.
Aye, I saw that, and whilst I don't condone bombs anywhere I'm struggling to understand why the IRA would countenance targeting Glasgow - it doesn't add up.

While I don't expect this shambles to change hardcore NO's to YES, I'd be very surprised if anyone with more than one brain cell now believes that Scotland couldn't run their own show better than this shower of shite, over the last 3 or 4 years they've shown the world that they couldn't put a pound coin in a shopping trolley without the help of civil servants, even then it would take quite a few of said civil servants to complete the task.

We can only hope that this disaster ends up tearing our main parties to shreds. 

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
35 minutes ago, Killie87 said:
I see the packages being sent London and Glasgow have been claimed by someone stating they are the IRA, worrying times ahead with the Irish situation.

Aye, I saw that, and whilst I don't condone bombs anywhere I'm struggling to understand why the IRA would countenance targeting Glasgow - it doesn't add up.

Glasgow Uni is a very strange choice.

Guest Bob Mahelp
47 minutes ago, Sooky said:

I struggle to under the ERG position, surely this is going to be the hardest Brexit they get? Parliament will never allow no deal, so any future Brexit deal will surely be softer.

When push comes to shove at the vote tonight, ^^^^^^^this is what will be going through many minds.

Over the last 3 years, the cabal of Tories and various right-wing extremists have proven that their statements on 'red lines' mean absolutely f*ck all. They'll bend whatever way it suits them and then lie, as if whatever they've stated loudly for tghe last 3 years never actually happened.

My (uneducated) guess is that enough arms will be severely twisted to get this half-arsed proposal through parliament tonight. Then May and the rest of them will release self-congratulary statements about how they defeated the EU. Spitfirres, Dunkirk, blue passports etc.

And the whole sickening nonsense will move on to the next stage.

7 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:
Government motion 12/03/2019 Re Withdrawal to pass (Void if no vote - Brexit Specials

No

1/18

Yes

11/2

Paddy Power thinks it's a cert to fail.

Might just bung a few quid on Yes.