Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

53 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If they don't vote for May's deal Brexit will probably never happen.

Their priority is getting out of the EU. Once they do they can start campaigning against the deal.

There is no deal, they just have to concede on the backstop to leave the EU on the 29th. Then it's an open contest. Which they'll lose.

Edited by welshbairn

I think that what we're witnessing is the sound of the Brexit can being kicked down the road.

The DUP and the ERG now realize that the Conservative Party won't allow themselves to continue

to be held hostage by them.  The people in the ERG are Conservative through and through, they have nowhere else

to go, and if they are seen to break the party , they are finished, individually and collectively.

So all the posturing , and 'softening', etc etc is political minds working to cover themselves, and amidst the verbosity,

the can going clunkety, clunk, clunk.

Naah.....
If they were to run with a campaign along the lines of :
"Scotland is effectively out of the EU because that's what England voted for"
The chances are that is how it will pan out, and will prove to be absolutely true. Don't you think a majority of Scots would consider that, and vote accordingly?

I think you’re making a bit of a ropey assumption that No/Remain voters felt more strongly about the latter and thus would now be willing to support independence in order to remain in the EU.

Whilst it’s true that an awful lot of the 55% who voted No would have also voted Remain (although not universal by any means, as I’d hazard a guess that the million Scots who voted Leave were almost exclusively No voters), it’s worth remembering that a lot of them will feel more strongly about the UK union than the EU, and thus upon realising that we can only have one or the other, would still vote to stay in the UK and accept Brexit as a consequence.

I think you’re making a bit of a ropey assumption that No/Remain voters felt more strongly about the latter and thus would now be willing to support independence in order to remain in the EU.

Whilst it’s true that an awful lot of the 55% who voted No would have also voted Remain (although not universal by any means, as I’d hazard a guess that the million Scots who voted Leave were almost exclusively No voters), it’s worth remembering that a lot of them will feel more strongly about the UK union than the EU, and thus upon realising that we can only have one or the other, would still vote to stay in the UK and accept Brexit as a consequence.
Apart from Granny Danger of course

Not quite so straight forward.  The changes the DUP and ERG want, in the way that they want, will not be forthcoming.
Caroline Flint speaks for herself and herself only.  Not many more of her colleagues have spoken out; certainly not the 30 she’s claiming.
On this issue, any Labour MPs who breaks a whip and supports May’s deal should be immediately kicked out of the Labour Party.

I have no choice but to agree on your last point here. If a handful of Labour MPs end up backing a fudged version of May’s deal and getting it over the line, then Corbyn absolutely must show a backbone and kick them out.

But he will be secretly happy to see Brexit through so he won’t do that, IMO.

44 minutes ago, Donathan said:

How many No voters in the Indyref do you think did so because of all the assertions and assurances that was the only way Scotland could continue to remain in the EU?

I wouldn't agree that many Scots feel more strongly about the UK union than the EU. I certainly feel very strongly about the UK union - strongly in that I would prefer to be out of it!

Always said, and you lot scoffed, the EU will come to a deal to get their 39 Billion.

It will happen, maybe Brexit will be delayed for a time though it should not be.

The EU is facing a recision and it needs the money.

We had the choice. Leave or remain.

Leave was the result and leave we will do.

30 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

Always said, and you lot scoffed, the EU will come to a deal to get their 39 Billion.

It will happen, maybe Brexit will be delayed for a time though it should not be.

"We". But  not Scotland eh.

45 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

We voted to remain.

2 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Is a recision a decision that needs to be thought out again ? If so I agree.

How many No voters in the Indyref do you think did so because of all the assertions and assurances that was the only way Scotland could continue to remain in the EU?
I wouldn't agree that many Scots feel more strongly about the UK union than the EU. I certainly feel very strongly about the UK union - strongly in that I would prefer to be out of it!

The respective turnout of the two referendums would show that most people care more about the UK Union, whether they want to be in or out of it.

7 hours ago, Donathan said:

Between the Alex Neil/ Jim Sillars Scottish nationalists, and the Yes voters voting leave so that England and Scotland would vote differently on the EU (and therefore signal a massive shift in the polls towards yes), the idea that Yes voters nearly exclusively voted Remain is ridiculous.

8 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

"We". But  not Scotland eh.

7 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

We voted to remain.

Unfortunately England voted Leave so we just have to accept that. That's what being in the Union is all about.

Eta...

What will Scotland's share of the 1.6billion bribe offered to areas in the north of England to create more prosperity amount to?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

Guest Bob Mahelp

Went to the cinema at the weekend to watch 'Vice'.....the (supposed) story of how Dick Cheney and a shadowy cabal of dodgy right-wing associates effectively took over the USA and little by little imposed their ideology on every aspect of governance, to the benefit of almost nobody except from Cheney himself and the shareholders of Halliburton.

I suspect that in 10 years time we're going to have a similar movie about Brexit.

It's a great film by the way. Masterful performance by Christian Bale.

Heard on the radio this morning that Cox is giving up trying to ‘persuade’ the EU on putting and end date on the backstop.  Finally reality is dawning.

Any Labour MP who facilitates May’s Brexit plan in exchange for a few pounds after his/her constituents have been forced to suffer years of austerity will be forever damned in the court of public opinion.