Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

12 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Don't know if this has been posted here before or even if I posted it here but I was listening to this again today and just wow.........

People like to talk about "small minorities" but this gives me the feeling that it's neither small or a minority of this country that are racist to the core.

Yeah, I've met quite a few people like that since I came to live in this area - the sooner England gets its independence the better.

They should be ashamed of these cretins.

Can't see Corbyn getting enough support in the Commons for another EU ref. Maybe he knows that too.
If it does come to a vote will the SNP insist on special arrangement if remain wins in Scotland but Leave wins in rUK?

I imagine they’ll get told to f**k off. What would the SNP feasibly do? Vote against it?

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They'd lose a bunch of leave constituencies and MPs if they did. Not much risk of that in the SNP.

Not if they look the Leave voters straight in the eye and communicate firmly but consensually to them why their original vote was mistaken.  Or are you seriously suggesting that they should shut up for fear of offending the Leave constituency ?  A right principled stance that would be, even by recent Labour standards.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Not if they look the Leave voters straight in the eye and communicate firmly but consensually to them why their original vote was mistaken.  Or are you seriously suggesting that they should shut up for fear of offending the Leave constituency ?  A right principled stance that would be, even by recent Labour standards.

How can you communicate with those who just want to see fewer foreigners in the UK? 

Sadly there are significant numbers who vehemently believe that was what they voted for - whatever the cost to the country's economy. They are not going to be easily placated.

Good policy there. Tell the voters they are stupid and should never have voted the way they did..... Then ask for their vote [emoji848]

25 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

10 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Good policy there. Tell the voters they are stupid and should never have voted the way they did..... Then ask for their vote emoji848.png

If that’s how you interpreted that post you need remedial reading classes.

38 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

How can you communicate with those who just want to see fewer foreigners in the UK? 

How scary is that to say out aloud,  and you have to think that ( + £350million/wk for the NHS) was the primary reason as literally  no one really knew what Brexit meant other those two easy slogans

Any referendum would have to be a binary choice. Leavers would split between the nuggets for the Rool Britannia exit and the save face as I'm not a racist softer brexit. Let the idiots take their skelping without excuses. 

If there was a 3 option referendum, I’d have to think it would use the alternative vote. I also think very few people would rank May’s deal as their 3rd option so it would probably end up winning

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

If there is a second referendum then the Brexiteers campaign will be hilarious. Is there a single valid argument for Brexit now other than “we voted in favour last time so we need to respect the result”?

There probably won’t be a “leave” type option this time but instead vote for May’s deal or Remain.

4 hours ago, zidane's child said:

There probably won’t be a “leave” type option this time but instead vote for May’s deal or Remain.

Given the fact that this would need to be approved by Parliament it would not surprise me if it were more complicated than that.  I think a Parliamentary majority could be secured for a second referendum but to achieve this it might be necessary to offer a ‘wider’ choice.

We also need to remind folk that at the start of the process people like Mogg and (I think) Farage supported a second referendum once the terms were known.

Any second referendum would have to be a two tiered question similar to the Scottish parliament referendum in 1997.

1. Do you wish to leave the EU?

2. Should we leave on the terms of the May deal?

That way no accusations of splitting the vote etc and a definite majority either way.

22 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Any second referendum would have to be a two tiered question similar to the Scottish parliament referendum in 1997.

1. Do you wish to leave the EU?

2. Should we leave on the terms of the May deal?

That way no accusations of splitting the vote etc and a definite majority either way.

I know you are just giving examples, but these two questions do not give a definitive outcome; that is something that is definitely needed.

Do you wish to Leave or Remain in the European Union?

If the country votes to leave, how should the government act when leaving? No deal, May’s deal, EEA.

Job done. There probably needs to be a fourth choice in part two to ‘split’ the Remain choice in the same way as the Leave. But I’m not sure what it would be.

I feel quite positive about this. Yes, it could be voted down by Tories/DUP, but bear in mind just how pissed off much of the party are with May for constantly pushing back her meaningful votes. Even the Cabinet are terrified of No Deal. She now essentially has to extend Brexit or her party will vote for another referendum.

Watching the BBC news at work this morning and they mentioned no-deal possibly being taken off the table, with other senior politicians campaigning for second vote.  Old guy at work (rangers fan) says this country will go to war if Brexit isn't delivered. 

I asked who exactly would be going the war, and inquired as to who they'd be doing battle with?

"The people will riot, you'll see" was his response. 

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Watching the BBC news at work this morning and they mentioned no-deal possibly being taken off the table, with other senior politicians campaigning for second vote.  Old guy at work (rangers fan) says this country will go to war if Brexit isn't delivered. 

I asked who exactly would be going the war, and inquired as to who they'd be doing battle with?

"The people will riot, you'll see" was his response. 

Pretty sure there was a regular poster on here suggesting the same thing.  There would be a lot of unhappy gammons, frantic headlines in the Mail & Express and a slight upsurge in support for the far right- mainly from disaffected Tories.  But that would be it.

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

If there is a second referendum then the Brexiteers campaign will be hilarious. Is there a single valid argument for Brexit now other than “we voted in favour last time so we need to respect the result”?

Make up more lies and write them in bigger letters on the side of a plane?

We send Brussels £800Bn a month. Let's spend that here making Britain great again.

Done.

Any extension to A50 should be an immediate resigning issue for the PM. No waiting until a new leader is elected, just resign and let someone else act as interim leader and PM.

There should also be a general election in the shortest period of time allowable.

This farce needs clarity and a conclusion swiftly. Every day without an agreed exit is stopping investment in this country and by actually doing the job properly this should have been sorted ages ago.