Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think all candidates from all parties should have to state their own stance on Brexit. The party manifestos will be pretty meaningless as the new MP's will ignore the whips if they're asked to vote the opposite of what they believe. It could be written on the ballot which could serve as a referendum on it's own. 

:lol:  what a lot of rubbish.  Any candidate that doesn’t want to stand by their party’s position shouldn’t stand for that party.

On a different note, heard reports about Brexit on Radio Scotland at two very different times today.  On both occasions there was a follow up by Umunna speaking; when did he become the default politician to quote about Brexit?  What about the SNP position; surely more legitimacy in Scotland to offer their spokesperson the follow up slot.

Corbyn still refusing to say whether Remain would be on the ballot paper in a public vote, apparently. Meeting with PLP right now. 

The absolute seethe this will cause if they propose a “no deal” vs “May’s deal” referendum will be quite something.

Not even Corbyn would be that incompetent, though, surely?

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

:lol:  what a lot of rubbish.  Any candidate that doesn’t want to stand by their party’s position shouldn’t stand for that party.

What Brexit policy could either big parties have in their manifestos that wouldn't create massive splits? Until Brexit is sorted either way, party politics is by the wayside.

Edited by welshbairn

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What Brexit policy could either big parties have in their manifestos that wouldn't create massive splits? Until Brexit is sorted either way, party politics is by the wayside.

I'm assuming that every SNP candidate is expected to believe in Scottish independence.  Why then couldn't any of the parties have it as a prerequisite that all candidates firmly adhere to the manifesto commitmnt on Brexit ?  And after the last two years it surely isn't too much to ask that Labour comes out firmly to Remain ?

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm assuming that every SNP candidate is expected to believe in Scottish independence.  Why then couldn't any of the parties have it as a prerequisite that all candidates firmly adhere to the manifesto commitmnt on Brexit ?  And after the last two years it surely isn't too much to ask that Labour comes out firmly to Remain ?

They'd lose a bunch of leave constituencies and MPs if they did. Not much risk of that in the SNP.

Polly Toynbee is well out of touch imo, if she wasn't always. Corbyn and McDonnell have always played the good cop/bad cop game, but they're joined at the hip.

A deepening divide between shadow chancellor John McDonnell and Corbyn over a range of issues has been brewing

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They'd lose a bunch of leave constituencies and MPs if they did. Not much risk of that in the SNP.

Don’t see it; there’s going to be few ‘hard’ leave constituencies given all that’s happened.

I reckon all SNP candidates could get behind a single policy on Brexit, other parties should too.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t see it; there’s going to be few ‘hard’ leave constituencies given all that’s happened.

I reckon all SNP candidates could get behind a single policy on Brexit, other parties should too.

The vast majority of Lancashire will still be "hard" leave..

Guest Bob Mahelp

Does this Labour policy make any difference ?

Given that some Labour MP's would vote against a second referendum proposal, it seems unlikely that there could ever be enough support in parliament for it to be succesful.

Corbyn still refusing to say whether Remain would be on the ballot paper in a public vote, apparently. Meeting with PLP right now. 
I wonder if they will try and find a way to avoid legislating on the question, in the hope they'd lose the vote and not need to take a position.

As said any 2nd Ref proposal can still be voted down by Tories/DUP as a block. It would have to be a 3 question ref...'May's deal', 'No Deal' or 'Remain' in any case. Labour's amendment for customs union etc will be shot down.

If it proposed as a choice this week, still expect it be ruled out in any case. Meanwhile the Maybot will reach March 12th with a 'did I say March 12th? actually meant March 27th (or whatever) for a meaningful vote, need more time to speak to the EU, blah blah'.....get as close to the wire as possible so that it is either her deal or no deal. 

Edited by Jedi

Corbyn been getting shit on here for ages for not backing a second referendum.  He’s now getting shit on here for backing a second referendum.  :lol:

I’m happy with his late conversion, however lukewarm it might be.  It’s the way to go and if Parliament don’t support it then so be it.

Don't know if this has been posted here before or even if I posted it here but I was listening to this again today and just wow.........

People like to talk about "small minorities" but this gives me the feeling that it's neither small or a minority of this country that are racist to the core.