Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Give me 10 within the last 20 years.

Jim Kilfedder and Lady Sylvia Hermon did it here, quitting the Ulster Unionists, both in North Down. Kilfedder held the seat for 18 years after quitting the Ulster Unionists and Lady Hermon has held it for 8. However only Lady Hermon comes under my "twenty year" rule!

It's fairly rare for anyone out with the three largest UK-wide parties, the SNP, Plaid Cymru and the four largest Northern Ireland parties to be elected, I only count nine such examples in the past twenty years.

Lady Sylvia Hermon

Richard Taylor

Peter Law

George Galloway

Dai Davies

Naomi Long

Caroline Lucas

Douglas Carswell

Mark Reckless

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It's fairly rare for anyone out with the three largest UK-wide parties, the SNP, Plaid Cymru and the four largest Northern Ireland parties to be elected, I only count nine such examples in the past twenty years.

Lady Sylvia Hermon

Richard Taylor

Peter Law

George Galloway

Dai Davies

Naomi Long

Caroline Lucas

Douglas Carswell

Mark Reckless

Naomi Long was always Alliance, she didn't quit another party while a sitting MP to become an Alliance MP.

Down to 8!

Edited by Jacksgranda
grammar, dear boy, grammar

57 minutes ago, Donathan said:

There are loads of examples of people leaving a party and being re-elected as an independent due to local popularity.

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Naomi Long was always Alliance, she didn't quit another party while a sitting MP to become an Alliance MP.

Down to 8!

All of those were examples of people being elected either as independents, or from minor parties.

Lucas was always a green, and I think Taylor was always an independent

59 minutes ago, Donathan said:

There are loads of examples of people leaving a party and being re-elected as an independent due to local popularity.

That's what you posted.

Just now, Donathan said:

All of those were examples of people being elected either as independents, or from minor parties.

Lucas was always a green, and I think Taylor was always an independent

Those are not examples of people leaving a party and being re-elected as an independent.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Down to 8!

And I don't think George Galloway should count either - he quit/got thrown out of Labour and then stood in another constituency as a Respect (what a misnomer that was) candidate, where he was elected, right enough.

8 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Martin Bell.

Albeit elected in 97. Served until 2001.

Wasn't he elected in Neil Hamilton's constituency after the "Cash for Questions" controversy? He used to cut about in a white jacket and stood on an anti-sleaze ticket. IIRC he was a long-standing BBC correspondent before going into politics

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Wasn't he elected in Neil Hamilton's constituency after the "Cash for Questions" controversy? He used to cut about in a white jacket and stood on an anti-sleaze ticket. IIRC he was a long-standing BBC correspondent before going into politics

Yes.  The local Labour Party and Liberal Democrats both agreed not to stand - although they hated each other so that meant he would go to a meeting for one party after which he would be driven to a neutral location where the other party would then come and collect him for their party meeting.

He only stood for one election.  George Osborne became the next MP - someone Martin Bell described as a fine chap.

Little did he know.

May should be forced to resign. She's an absolute disgrace. She'll return for a meaningful vote on exactly the same terms as before but 2 months further on in the process - which was already a month late. If there is a 2 year delay however, it will meet conditions equivalent to putting a time limit on the backstop and allow her to kick the can even further. I can't see the EU going anywhere near 2 years. In fact I doubt that swathes of England will either. 

It’s being suggested that the EU are not keen on a short extension and will insist that it will be be 21 months with, as I understand it, a transition after that that will still include a backstop.

So MPs will need to choose between May’s deal, No Deal and a 21 month extension.  

The third is the best option of the three but means a further period of uncertainty.

What a fucking shambles.

Can kicked down the road again with the "meaningful" vote delayed until March 12th.

Everyone knew this was TMs strategy once the first vote was pulled back in December. I'm speaking with hindsight here (well half&half) but really that was the time for a couple of the TIGgers to resign & fight a By-Election on a Second Vote platform, instead they have waited until it too late to do anything about it before March 29th. I suppose if A50 is delayed in a bid to get May's deal through they could resign en masse and still do this.

Providing we don't exit with a "No Deal" next month does a 21 month extension to A50 make any difference as I was under the impression that the time up till end 2020 (when the current EU Budget expires) was going to be a transition period with us complying to EU regulations anyway?

Edited by btb

8 minutes ago, btb said:

Providing we don't exit with a "No Deal" next month does a 21 month extension make any difference as I was under the impression that the time up till end 2020 (when the current EU Budget expires) was going to be a transition period with us complying to EU regulations anyway?

It means there would still be a transition period after the 21 month extension, does it not?

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It means there would still be a transition period after the 21 month extension, does it not?

Yes. A 21 month extension would only be there to enable a framework to be put in place for further negotations.

Then there would be another 21 months after that for the nuts and bolts to be sorted out.

In theory.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yes. A 21 month extension would only be there to enable a framework to be put in place for further negotations.

Then there would be another 21 months after that for the nuts and bolts to be sorted out.

In theory.

So would that mean the meeja will be talking about , and analysing this, every fucking day for the next 42 months?

I'm not sure if I can take much more.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

So would that mean the meeja will be talking about , and analysing this, every fucking day for the next 42 months?

On the bright side, half the bigoted, ignorant auld fuckers who voted for this chaos will have shuffled off to the big Alf Garnett living room in the sky.

Every cloud and all that.

I think the EU are beginning to regret refusing to negotiate on the final relationship before we withdraw. That's what caused the whole backstop problem. That and the UK declaring A50 before having a fucking clue what they wanted. And May's stupid red lines.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I suspect that's how many folk will feel - particularly Leave voters. 

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think the EU are beginning to regret refusing to negotiate on the final relationship before we withdraw. That's what caused the whole backdrop problem. That and the UK declaring A50 before having a fucking clue what they wanted. And May's stupid red lines.

I don't think they can really have any regrets tbh.

The deal they presented was always going to be the same and the idea that another few months would have prevented the backstop problem is fantasy. The backstop isn't a problem, it's a solution to a problem and right now, it's the only one there. If a better solution becomes available, it can be used.

I think the biggest thing that the EU will regret is if there were discussions (I know this is in the press but it does seem like it was briefed to point fingers and deflect blame) behind closed doors and they told May to go for the General Election in 2017. Had that not happened, the meaningful vote legislation would have likely failed (although it would be tight) and the government could have forced through the withdrawal agreement quite quickly. I think the consensus at the time was that the victory would have been too narrow to feel comfortable with but the general election would have given them a very very easy task as it was so sure that they would be returned with a working majority well upwards of 50.

Edited by harry94