Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The free tariff for vehicles doesn't kick in for seven years.

There's a transition, but why would Honda or Nissan make a decision to stop or close production lines years ahead, a few weeks before Brexit conditions will be much clearer? Doubts about Brexit would have been in their minds, but car manufacture is a long term game, and I think the shift from diesel and towards electric, plus eventual free trade from Japan to the EU would have been the crucial things that made their minds up. 

There's a transition, but why would Honda or Nissan make a decision to stop or close production lines years ahead, a few weeks before Brexit conditions will be much clearer? Doubts about Brexit would have been in their minds, but car manufacture is a long term game, and I think the shift from diesel and towards electric, plus eventual free trade from Japan to the EU would have been the crucial things that made their minds up. 
The lines are being stopped once the model run ends. There's no point building a new line in a country only to stop it a few years later. The end date of the models currently in production will be know years in advance.

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Having read some newspaper below the line stuff today, I think we can add Investment Appraisal 101 to the long list of classes that Leave justifiers didn't bother paying any attention to.

Do you have a list of any they did attend? Or even just walked past an open door and got some information by accident?

We can all breath a sigh of relief, a solution has been found.

Brexit backstop talks: Theresa May to present EU with new proposals

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/19/brexit-backstop-may-rules-out-malthouse-compromise

The new proposal is to seek a legal assurance that the backstop will not be indefinite.  I don’t think this has been suggested before, it will be interesting to see the EU response.

Katya Adler on the BBC exposing the myth of last minute capitulation by the EU that some posters on here seem to buy into.

Bottom line, the EU has compromised at the last minute in negotiations when it was in the interest of the bloc to do so.  It is not in their interests to capitulate on an issue that will ultimately weaken the EU27.

Katya Adler on the BBC exposing the myth of last minute capitulation by the EU that some posters on here seem to buy into.
Bottom line, the EU has compromised at the last minute in negotiations when it was in the interest of the bloc to do so.  It is not in their interests to capitulate on an issue that will ultimately weaken the EU27.

Spain will veto any extension due to Gibraltar

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Spain will veto any extension due to Gibraltar

I really hope so.

I wonder if the pending Spanish elections will make most/all parties in Spain take a tougher line on Gibraltar.  Again I really hope so.

I really hope so.
I wonder if the pending Spanish elections will make most/all parties in Spain take a tougher line on Gibraltar.  Again I really hope so.

It's a golden opportunity for Spain. Probably the best she's had for a long time. Gibraltar really is the forgotten territory in all this, Spanish elections are timed to perfection

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I really hope so.

Do you want a hard brexit? Otherwise I think you might be having another logic malfunction. An extension of A50 is the only way out of it other than May's deal.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you want a hard brexit? Otherwise I think you might be having another logic malfunction. An extension of A50 is the only way out of it other than May's deal.

No.  I am of the firm opinion that if Parliament end up with a binary choice of a Hard Brexit and revoking Article 50 they will go for the latter.

If May’s deal is rejected and an extension is denied then that binary choice will exist.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

No.  I am of the firm opinion that if Parliament end up with a binary choice of a Hard Brexit and revoking Article 50 they will go for the latter.

If May’s deal is rejected and an extension is denied then that binary choice will exist.

There is zero chance of Parliament voting for revoking A50. 

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There is zero chance of Parliament voting for revoking A50. 

You are entitled to your opinion.  If it were to come down to a choice of revocation or No Deal I am firmly convinced they would vote for revocation.