Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

If the protest voters felt ignored and neglected, voting to crater the economy and ensure public spending will be further consolidated on the southeast of England was a wacky way of fixing that...

That's the thing I find bizarre about this whole 'protest vote' idea, be it here with leaving the EU, or voting in Trump in the States. You've got a sizable number of people voting for things that are going to make them worse off financially, but we're supposed to believe that there's some rationality to it. We're cratering the economy here for a generation, but it's not due to xenophobia; people are fed up with the 'elite', and are practicing self-harm as a result (which anyone in a position of wealth and influence won't care about remotely). Trump voters aren't motivated by fear of 'the other'; they're fed up with the political classes running the country for themselves, and have voted in one of America's most self-centred men to go against an entire lifetime's track record and work for anyone's benefit but his own.

If any of this nonsense is genuinely true, democracy's up a sheuch.

Yes, there's no doubt that things are looking great and getting better by the day !!
I've been saying this for a while now but we are most definitely heading towards a major recession irrespective of Brexit but it's certainly not helping things and only accelerating the inevitable.
The one I can't get my head around is how unemployment is allegedly at an all time low, I'm just not seeing this as every day we seem to be greeted with another company failure and major redundancies, in fact it's very similar to 2008.
Is it the "gig" economy that's massaging the figures ? is it the amount of people in full time education ?? Is it people who are self employed and just not signing on ???
Who knows, but I do know that we're heading for economic disaster at a great rate of knots.........

Gigi said it better but you can google about how the Tories essentially tweak the employment figures by placing people in categories where they’re not classed as unemployed.

If the protest voters felt ignored and neglected, voting to crater the economy and ensure public spending will be further consolidated on the southeast of England was a wacky way of fixing that...

Large swathes of people in this country had a legitimate right to protest what they seen as the establishment consensus in general but the target they aimed it at definitely isn’t the primary cause of their problems. The 7 Labour MPs that shat the bed tonight (apart from maybe Berger) are just highlighting that they haven’t a clue how to act in a post Brexit landscape hence the bizarre Apprentice esque business pitch they’ve made.

27 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
52 minutes ago, strichener said:
You can be sure that 1m Scots didn't vote leave for the same reasons as Granny!  He was trying to be 'clever' in the usual moronic Dundee way.

LOL.... to quote Denis Healey, for any Dundonians watching you've just been savaged by a deid sheep.

A bit unfair to deid sheep.

36 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That's the thing I find bizarre about this whole 'protest vote' idea, be it here with leaving the EU, or voting in Trump in the States. You've got a sizable number of people voting for things that are going to make them worse off financially, but we're supposed to believe that there's some rationality to it. We're cratering the economy here for a generation, but it's not due to xenophobia; people are fed up with the 'elite', and are practicing self-harm as a result (which anyone in a position of wealth and influence won't care about remotely). Trump voters aren't motivated by fear of 'the other'; they're fed up with the political classes running the country for themselves, and have voted in one of America's most self-centred men to go against an entire lifetime's track record and work for anyone's benefit but his own.

A politician gets on stage and says "I'm angry".   Some people say "Hey I'm angry too.  We have something in common.  I'm going to vote for you".

It doesn't seem to matter that they might be angry about completely different things.

56 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

When people have lost hope they tend to do strange things, post versailles treaty Germany being one of the best examples in our recent history.

I might have missed this amidst the other political hilarity today, but: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47282603

Honda is set to announce the closure of its Swindon car plant in 2022, with the loss of about 3,500 jobs.

The Japanese company made 160,000 Honda Civics in Swindon last year, of which some 90% were exported to the EU.

Honda has yet to make a formal announcement, and the Prime Minister's spokesman said Theresa May would not comment until an official confirmation.

But local MP Justin Tomlinson said he had spoken to Honda, which confirmed it was consulting with "all staff".

"There is not expected to be any job losses, or changes in production until 2021," Mr Tomlinson said.

Yup. Swindon voted 54.7% to leave.

I've read that the EU removed import tariffs from Japan so Honda are closing the UK and Turkey plants and doing all their manufacturing from Japan now as they can export from their with no tarrif to pay.

If true this could just be the tip of the iceberg if Japan decides to take back manufacturing of its products from UK/EU bases.

This is P&B at its best.  Every single person who has emigrated to Spain hates the Spanish, reads the Daily Mail*, has a Sunday roast and does nothing to integrate.  [emoji38]
In fairness I’m sure there are many who fit that stereotype but I’m sure there are many who don’t.
* sadly when I am on holiday I notice far more copies of the Daily Heil on view than any other U.K. newspaper.

It's a stereotype that is miles from reality - the Costa Del Sol Cockney wideboys represent a very small percentage of the British who either have moved out to Spain or who winter there - a significant number are not even in mainland Spain.

23 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I've read that the EU removed import tariffs from Japan so Honda are closing the UK and Turkey plants and doing all their manufacturing from Japan now as they can export from their with no tarrif to pay.

If true this could just be the tip of the iceberg if Japan decides to take back manufacturing of its products from UK/EU bases.

As I understand it, Japanese car makers have 14 factories in the EU and it's only the UK ones that are under threat of closure/production scale back.  Funny that.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
Out of curiousity did you see a post where I said I voted for Brexit?

I'm sure we all saw posts from you in the run-up where you said you were going to vote Leave?

I seem to remember that, but I suspect he's probably deleted them all by now.