Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I didn't realise Swindon was Honda's only manufacturing plant in the EU. The damage doesn't end there as there will be lots of UK suppliers up shit creek as well as a result. 

One point of order before everyone gets excited : The EU/Japan FTA renders EU manufacturing less relevant in the future as tariffs gradually reduce from their current 10%. Undoubtedly Brexit has accelerated this, even if the headquarters appears to be staying. 

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The one I can't get my head around is how unemployment is allegedly at an all time low, I'm just not seeing this as every day we seem to be greeted with another company failure and major redundancies, in fact it's very similar to 2008.

Is it the "gig" economy that's massaging the figures ? is it the amount of people in full time education ?? Is it people who are self employed and just not signing on ???

Who knows, but I do know that we're heading for economic disaster at a great rate of knots.........

Employment figures include people on zero hours who may not actually be getting any work and people who work about 1 hour a fortnight. So they'll be including people as employed while still actually relying on state benefits, food banks etc which is clearly nonsensical but helps to come up with bullshit statements like "record levels of employment".

Only people who can live independently of universal credit etc should be included. Wonder how much that would unfudge the stats.

7 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Employment figures include people on zero hours who may not actually be getting any work and people who work about 1 hour a fortnight. So they'll be including people as employed while still actually relying on state benefits, food banks etc which is clearly nonsensical but helps to come up with bullshit statements like "record levels of employment".

Only people who can live independently of universal credit etc should be included. Wonder how much that would unfudge the stats.

Yes, that's true, it would certainly make for interesting reading.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I have to declare an interest in that my wife and I are thinking of retiring to Spain.  Brexit might make that more difficult if not impossible but hopefully any blame for this will be laid at the door of the U.K. government and not the Spanish.

Ditching the reciprocal healthcare agreement is crazy and will cost the U.K. more money but let’s remember economic logic is playing no part in the whole Brexit debate and this issue pales into insignificance compared to the wider economic chaos that could ensue.

Out of curiosity, what kind of Brexit did you vote for?

I've never really understood this idea of "winning" as regards to the Brexit referendum, we were basically asked a question do you wish the UK to leave or remain, I'm sure there were millions who didn't really have any view or care one way or another, however the way it's all portrayed in the media is that you're either a staunch Brexiteer who hates everyone outwith the "Empire" or you're a student from a middle class background who loves everything about Europe.

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between, and I'm sure there's millions who couldn't actually give a toss in regards to where the vote result sat in their list of priorities...........

Just now, MONKMAN said:

I'll rephrase. Did you vote for Brexit and if so, what kind of Brexit did you vote for?

Yes I did and I have subsequently posted many, many times about the misplaced logic.

I find it astounding the numbers of posters who pick up on the first part yet seem oblivious to the many subsequent posts.

35 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've never really understood this idea of "winning" as regards to the Brexit referendum, we were basically asked a question do you wish the UK to leave or remain, I'm sure there were millions who didn't really have any view or care one way or another, however the way it's all portrayed in the media is that you're either a staunch Brexiteer who hates everyone outwith the "Empire" or you're a student from a middle class background who loves everything about Europe.

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between, and I'm sure there's millions who couldn't actually give a toss in regards to where the vote result sat in their list of priorities...........

I agree.  I suspect there are people who didn't make up their mind until they were in the voting booth.

IMO: If the EU referendum never took place and there had never been a campaign to leave then we would probably be talking about everything that is wrong with the EU.

My view is that whatever is wrong with the EU is not going to be solved by leaving nor will leaving improve anything for the UK.

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I agree.  I suspect there are people who didn't make up their mind until they were in the voting booth.

IMO: If the EU referendum never took place and there had never been a campaign to leave then we would probably be talking about everything that is wrong with the EU.

My view is that whatever is wrong with the EU is not going to be solved by leaving nor will leaving improve anything for the UK.

Yes, agree with that. The real story here is the growing unrest with inequality as the gap between rich and poor continues to lengthen at great speed, despite all the rhetoric over the past few years.

It's not just here of course, we have our "Brexit", the French have their "gilets jaunes" situation, The USA have got Trump and there's far Left and far Right parties gaining in support throughout the developed world, however I'm of no doubt that it all stems from the peasants throughout simply calling time and enough is enough, which to be fair, has been coming for some time now...........

Yes I did and I have subsequently posted many, many times about the misplaced logic.
I find it astounding the numbers of posters who pick up on the first part yet seem oblivious to the many subsequent posts.
I've met a few folk who thought that somehow voting Leave was 'clever' in that educated, f**k the EU superstate sort of way.

They weren't being clever, and their self-indulgent orgasmic spasm is about to harm us all.

At least you have been honest about it .

8 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've met a few folk who thought that somehow voting Leave was 'clever' in that educated, f**k the EU superstate sort of way.

They weren't being clever, and their self-indulgent orgasmic spasm is about to harm us all.

I hear the term “protest vote” used when people talk about voting leave.

Whatever the f**k that’s supposed to mean.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I'd seen a couple of comments suggesting you'd voted for it, but haven't actually seen any of the subsequent posts explaining why.

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You can be sure that 1m Scots didn't vote leave for the same reasons as Granny!  He was trying to be 'clever' in the usual moronic Dundee way.

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

You can be sure that 1m Scots didn't vote leave for the same reasons as Granny!  He was trying to be 'clever' in the usual moronic Dundee way.

I'm sure there were hundreds of "reasons" why people voted to leave...... unfortunately for most of them, those reasons will turn out to have absolutely bugger all with what brexit actually looks like.
People invented their own personal visions and delusions of what things would look like, because no clear picture was offered before hand.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

If the protest voters felt ignored and neglected, voting to crater the economy and ensure public spending will be further consolidated on the southeast of England was a wacky way of fixing that...

Will the colour of the unicorns at least compliment the passports? Maybe a good British red to go with the white skin of all the people allowed in their post brexit utopia.