Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Warning!!!! sympathy level very low.

Apologies if posted before.

They were old enough to know what choice they were making when they went to Spain and now they want to return to the UK to claim benefits from the state? Sajid Javid should be revoking their citizenship.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

54 minutes ago, GAD said:

I don't know. For all that, it's a large population of aging and unhealthy people who probably cost the UK government a fair bit each year. I don't know if the Spanish would have any appetite to pick up that bill, and of they did I'm sure it wouldn't be very popular in Spain.

One of the news programmes last week outlined the cost of treating someone in a Spanish hospital as just over £2k per day whilst in the UK it's over £4k. The government won't want them back any time soon. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47270616

The Porsche I was never going to buy anyway is that much dearer now 'because Brexit'.

And dog food is fit for human consumption so it's not all bad news, chum.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-survival-course-weekend-prepper-tom-linden-food-shortages-power-outs-emergency-planning-a8778421.html

Edited by Suspect Device

16 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its a model that works with big airlines, hub systems make them more efficient. However virgin etc should be commended for increasing transatlantic offerings from Scotland.

To illustrate this:

Atlanta is the main hub airport for Delta Airlines.  It is the busiest airport in the world.  Atlanta is the 40th largest city in the USA.

Most passengers are flying on to somewhere else.  I don't blame them.

I have to declare an interest in that my wife and I are thinking of retiring to Spain.  Brexit might make that more difficult if not impossible but hopefully any blame for this will be laid at the door of the U.K. government and not the Spanish.

Ditching the reciprocal healthcare agreement is crazy and will cost the U.K. more money but let’s remember economic logic is playing no part in the whole Brexit debate and this issue pales into insignificance compared to the wider economic chaos that could ensue.

I have to declare an interest in that my wife and I are thinking of retiring to Spain.  Brexit might make that more difficult if not impossible but hopefully any blame for this will be laid at the door of the U.K. government and not the Spanish.
Ditching the reciprocal healthcare agreement is crazy and will cost the U.K. more money but let’s remember economic logic is playing no part in the whole Brexit debate and this issue pales into insignificance compared to the wider economic chaos that could ensue.
Maybe the blame will be laid at the door of the fucking morons who voted for Brexit, eh??

13 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Ex Pat's?

These the characters who live in Spain, but gather together round their British themed pubs rather than integrate?

Yes.

Ex-Pats who have lived in Spain for 3 years or more without returning to the UK are generally referred to as fugitives.

An ex pat for me is someone who maybe is seconded out to work, or has taken a specific contract to go and work abroad. Yer man that goes to do threw years in Singapore on an oil and gas project is an ex pat.

Fat Nigel and Val who go for their Sunday Roast in the Red Lion in Benidorm are immigrants.

Ex Pat's?
These the characters who live in Spain, but gather together round their British themed pubs rather than integrate?

They fucking hate Spain, and anything remotely Spanish. They're there for one very clear reason, the c***s.

I do think the economic stuff will start to bite in the end though, and a wee deal will be done at some point. It might be before or after the 29th march, but those making the big bucks will get it sorted for themselves.

This is P&B at its best.  Every single person who has emigrated to Spain hates the Spanish, reads the Daily Mail*, has a Sunday roast and does nothing to integrate.  :lol:

In fairness I’m sure there are many who fit that stereotype but I’m sure there are many who don’t.

* sadly when I am on holiday I notice far more copies of the Daily Heil on view than any other U.K. newspaper.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is P&B at its best.  Every single person who has emigrated to Spain hates the Spanish, reads the Daily Mail*, has a Sunday roast and does nothing to integrate.  :lol:

In fairness I’m sure there are many who fit that stereotype but I’m sure there are many who don’t.

* sadly when I am on holiday I notice far more copies of the Daily Heil on view than any other U.K. newspaper.

If you go to Spain and want to ensure that nobody even attempts to talk to you in Spanish, the obvious solution is to carry a copy of the Daily Mail.

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I use them quite regularly from Inverness to Birmingham for around £80 return, can't complain. Really hope they don't fold.

Yup.  A nice wee flight that one.  I use the Bristol Inverness route too.  Flybe are good guys.

The BA Inverness to Heathrow flight is another one I use a lot.  Anything to avoid Luton or Gatwick.

I live in Spain and have done for just a few months. I certainly consider myself an immigrant and have been treated wonderfully by everyone here - including great healthcare when breaking two bones in my foot. 

I'm here to work, as are all the British people I know here. For me, I guess living in Madrid and being in my thirties means I avoid the pensioner expat crew in the south. Most of the British people I know here are making every effort to learn the language and live a Madrid type lifestyle. 

My workplace is going along with the view that everything will carry on as normal at the moment but I get the idea that they genuinely don't have a clue what to do as everything is so uncertain. 

23 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Honda to close their Swindon factory, potentially costing 3,500 jobs.

https://news.sky.com/story/honda-to-stun-ministers-with-closure-of-swindon-factory-11641154

AT LEAST WE GET BLUE PASSPORTS THOUGH

Yes, there's no doubt that things are looking great and getting better by the day !!

I've been saying this for a while now but we are most definitely heading towards a major recession irrespective of Brexit but it's certainly not helping things and only accelerating the inevitable.

The one I can't get my head around is how unemployment is allegedly at an all time low, I'm just not seeing this as every day we seem to be greeted with another company failure and major redundancies, in fact it's very similar to 2008.

Is it the "gig" economy that's massaging the figures ? is it the amount of people in full time education ?? Is it people who are self employed and just not signing on ???

Who knows, but I do know that we're heading for economic disaster at a great rate of knots.........