Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

That is a good price - from Edinburgh it's always been outrageous.  I don't think they will fold - they have a couple of flights a day into heathrow which is good for connecting traffic and for getting to Southampton they are essential so I think a buyer will be found, depends on what they then do with the route network as they are faster than the train and there was always a good load on the Southampton flights.

I've flown from Edinburgh to Birmingham and Nottingham recently, both for around £60 return. 

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I've flown from Edinburgh to Birmingham and Nottingham recently, both for around £60 return. 

At peak time?  Prices have definitely came down then, that's good to know.  I was typically flying for business so booking quite close to departure - were your flights booked months out or quite close to departure?  I'm going to take another look at their website.

14 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

"We'll fly our own plane, how hard can it be? Two world wars and one world cup, we can handle a fackin plane!"

*The plane skids off the end of the runway and bursts into flames, killing everyone*

Michael Gove: "I think people in this country have had enough of experts."

Image result for out of touch pilots comic

16 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Definitely, The Embraer 145 is my all time favourite plane and that and the slightly smaller 135 were the planes used by bmi regional.  unfortunately when you have limited routes, small planes that are not fuel efficient even a drop of 1 passenger per flight can have a significant effect.

Fact of the matter is that easyJet and Ryanair continue to survive as they have a lot of route, lots of planes which are new and fuel efficient and can change their schedules to accommodate supply and demand quite easily.  They have the single trip routes sown up.

BA, Lufthansa, etc - they have traffic connecting into their hubs and are not as reliant on flights from a regional airport to another regional airport, hence why they concentrate of Gatwick and Heathrow.

There isn't really a place anymore for regional carriers unfortunately who don't have a big brother to keep them going during the bad times, Brexit uncertainty, global recessions, downturns, etc. 

Flybe are another good example, but with more planes, that are more fuel efficient and with more routes.  Hope a buyer can be found but they really need an owner like Virgin/Delta that was proposed recently as they are still struggling considerably (hardly surprising as their prices are eye watering).

"British" Airways has got to be the biggest joke around, they should be renamed "London" airways. Unless you're flying long haul and needing a connection or looking for a shuttle to London (that your company is paying for) then they have no coverage whatsoever for the rest of the country. The only airlines I would associate with Scotland nowadays are Ryanair, Easyjet and JET2 and even Ryanair and Easyjet are cutting back on their offerings. It's a pretty poor show to be honest.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

"British" Airways has got to be the biggest joke around, they should be renamed "London" airways. Unless you're flying long haul and needing a connection or looking for a shuttle to London (that your company is paying for) then they have no coverage whatsoever for the rest of the country. The only airlines I would associate with Scotland nowadays are Ryanair, Easyjet and JET2 and even Ryanair and Easyjet are cutting back on their offerings. It's a pretty poor show to be honest.

Loganair are good, free coffee and biscuit. Yum! 

7 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

At peak time?  Prices have definitely came down then, that's good to know.  I was typically flying for business so booking quite close to departure - were your flights booked months out or quite close to departure?  I'm going to take another look at their website.

I usually book months ahead.

So May has written to all Tory MPs asking them to unite over Brexit.  The text is quite interesting:

’Dear colleague

Over the past two years I have made a complete and utter c*nt of the Brexit negotiations and have kicked the can down the road as far as I can.  

I do not want to go down in history as the most incompetent Prime Minister ever so I appeal to you to support my shitty deal even though it is universally despised.

Help me see this through and we can get on with rolling out Universal Credit and handing out tax cuts.

Love and hugs

Maybot’ 

It will be interesting to see if this works.

24 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Generally peak out, non-peak return. Booked a month or so in advance.

Flying peak and booking close to departure will always cost more - that's the business model.

So May has written to all Tory MPs asking them to unite over Brexit.  The text is quite interesting:
’Dear colleague
Over the past two years I have made a complete and utter c*nt of the Brexit negotiations and have kicked the can down the road as far as I can.  
I do not want to go down in history as the most incompetent Prime Minister ever so I appeal to you to support my shitty deal even though it is universally despised.
Help me see this through and we can get on with rolling out Universal Credit and handing out tax cuts.
Love and hugs
Maybot’ 
I'm afraid Gordon Brown will always be the most incompetent PM.

I absolutely detest Gordon Brown as a politician, but that's a pretty bold statement you've made there, especially as Brown's tenure is fully on the record and we can still only begin to guess at what disasters are about to unfold in the wake of Cameron and May's spineless idiocies.

I'm surmising though that you won't let objectivity get in the way of your political prejudices.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:
’Dear colleague
Love and hugs
Maybot’ 

Honestly, the current PM makes Brown's tenure and the Con-Lib coalition seem like some sort of golden age.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I absolutely detest Gordon Brown as a politician, but that's a pretty bold statement you've made there, especially as Brown's tenure is fully on the record and we can still only begin to guess at what disasters are about to unfold in the wake of Cameron and May's spineless idiocies.

I'm surmising though that you won't let objectivity get in the way of your political prejudices.

It’s not a bold statement it’s a stupid one.  Not surprising really.

Definitely, The Embraer 145 is my all time favourite plane and that and the slightly smaller 135 were the planes used by bmi regional.  unfortunately when you have limited routes, small planes that are not fuel efficient even a drop of 1 passenger per flight can have a significant effect.
Fact of the matter is that easyJet and Ryanair continue to survive as they have a lot of route, lots of planes which are new and fuel efficient and can change their schedules to accommodate supply and demand quite easily.  They have the single trip routes sown up.
BA, Lufthansa, etc - they have traffic connecting into their hubs and are not as reliant on flights from a regional airport to another regional airport, hence why they concentrate of Gatwick and Heathrow.
There isn't really a place anymore for regional carriers unfortunately who don't have a big brother to keep them going during the bad times, Brexit uncertainty, global recessions, downturns, etc. 
Flybe are another good example, but with more planes, that are more fuel efficient and with more routes.  Hope a buyer can be found but they really need an owner like Virgin/Delta that was proposed recently as they are still struggling considerably (hardly surprising as their prices are eye watering).
Do you/did you work in aerospace or airline industry or an aircraft lover? This is maybe veering off the thread but would be interested to know why the Embraer 145 is your favourite all time plane.
Mine has always been the L1011 TriStar. I think mainly because they used to be very common at Prestwick airport when I was young when I used to get taken to the spectators gallery.

37 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

When it comes to stupid statements you're in a class of your own.

Don't know if he is, but to suggest that Gordon Brown is a worse PM than Theresa May is a statement that automatically leads to revoking of any right to be called a serious human being.

45 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Do you/did you work in aerospace or airline industry or an aircraft lover? This is maybe veering off the thread but would be interested to know why the Embraer 145 is your favourite all time plane.
Mine has always been the L1011 TriStar. I think mainly because they used to be very common at Prestwick airport when I was young when I used to get taken to the spectators gallery.

Back in the 80's I used to fly quite regularly to and from the Far East.  

Always 747's....., usually Cathay Pacific, or Singapore Airlines. Sometimes BA because there were quite good deals. But preferably

not as the service was a bit perfunctory.   

Anyway, on my last flight at the end of my contract, I decided to return via Kuala Lumpur.   The flight 

out of there was Malaysian Airlines.., a Tristar, my first time on one.   After take off, there was a huge clang...., as the undercarriage came up.

I just about sh*t myself.   

I just liked flying. Used to fly to/from Manchester on a weekly basis and it was a bmi 145. The 1-2 layout was nice, the take off was tremendous and the staff were great. Flying back from Copenhagen to Edinburgh at night over the north sea oil rigs was some sight as well.

I can't be bothered with flying any more though. It's not as much fun as it used to be.

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Don't know if he is, but to suggest that Gordon Brown is a worse PM than Theresa May is a statement that automatically leads to revoking of any right to be called a serious human being.

Most politicians leave mainstream political life with their reputations sullied in some way.  Brown

doesn't have anything sensible to say about independence, he made his working life in Westminster.

As a PM, I generally think he got his chance too late.  Labour had been in power for a long time, Blair had overstayed,

and Brown took the hit.  

My opinion of him went up several notches the day of ".... that bigoted woman.... " blooper. 

Just wish that when he had one of his arguments with Blair, he'd have lost it, and kicked the little rat out of the office window.