Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

12 hours ago, G_&_T said:

If they ever get unity, I hope the UK government does the right thing and quickly brings the civil service jobs in Northern Ireland back to the mainland - as I understand around 1/3 of them work as civil servants. 

Plus I'd be interested to see how they cope with East Belfast, and the loyalist communities over there. We would need observers to make sure their human rights are respected...though I'd imagine the Irish government would struggle to cope with 3/4 million people who are vehemently opposed to unification, many of whom would support the loyalist paramilitaries. For a nation of five million, it'd be an interesting to see how they'd cope. 

Ho ho!

The backward attitudes of the Loyalists in NI are killing their own community leaving behind, for the most part, only the underclass and men of violence. I've met a handful of NI 'Prods' in recent years who hate the place - not just the violent undertones but the whole backward reality of power there. A guy who came out of High School one day, at age 14 or so, to find Ian Paisley's lot handing out leaflets saying 'Save Ulster from Sodomy'. The gay-cake row. Fears over bilingal signs. Demanding that a plaque with a biblical explanation for Giants Causeway is erected FFS. Doubting the existence of dinosaurs. Controversy over abortion and contraception.

Agree that the crazies would stir up trouble but do we really want terrorists to dictate policy and undermine democracy in the year 2019?

Don't just take my word for it though.

Parades draw diminishing, aging crowds. Young, working-class Protestants once waved banners celebrating Ulster plantation lords, as though their lives were connected to such vicious men. Now they want out. Every year, more than a third of students flee Northern Ireland. More would if they could: A Belfast Telegraph survey of young people found that two-thirds want to leave.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/02/opinion/northern-ireland-brexit-unionism.html

It’s funny someone openly talks about loyalist paramilitaries reforming and resisting democratic expressions of unification and in the same breath demanding the British intervene to prevent a reaction from “an oppressive Dublin”.

44 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I just read that Grayling went to yooni with two of the dumped 'ghost' ferry  organisers. They'll probably get a pay off running into tens or hundreds of thousands.

It was the company that pulled the plug after their Irish backer pulled out so I don’t think they will get anything.

Watched the coverage of this at 11.00 on Sky and BBC (recorded one obviously!); the Sky coverage was far more objective whereas the BBC had the interviewer suggesting to the Shadow Transport Secretary that the current Brexit mess is all Labour’s fault for not supporting May’s Deal!

After Scottish Independence I’d bin the whole of the BBC in Scotland and start from scratch; a thoroughly discredited organisation.

While i'm not in favour of our current economic model the UK is currently the fifth largest economy in the world.
I doubt many people rank us top 4.

GDP was only slightly ahead of France for 2017. The collapse of the value of sterling means that we’re now the 6th largest economy

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-overtaken-by-france-in-list-of-worlds-largest-economies-a3699556.html

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

It’s funny someone openly talks about loyalist paramilitaries reforming and resisting democratic expressions of unification and in the same breath demanding the British intervene to prevent a reaction from “an oppressive Dublin”.

Please don't conflate predicting trouble with desiring it...

2 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I just read that Grayling went to yooni with two of the dumped 'ghost' ferry  organisers. They'll probably get a pay off running into tens or hundreds of thousands.

He's just about the most inept tory politician I can recall over the last 50 odd years - and by god I can recall quite a few.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Putting aside all the incoherent ranting by G+T last night the realisation is that the majority of people in ROI would not vote for a united Ireland due to economic and sectarian reasons.

SKY poll shows 64% of voters in the RoI would support Irish unity

Poll conducted 1-4 February 2019. 

23 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

SKY poll shows 64% of voters in the RoI would support Irish unity

Poll conducted 1-4 February 2019. 

They might changed their minds if they think they'd have to replace the £10.8 Billion subsidy NI gets from London. That's £5760 for every man, woman and child.  Plus cover increased security costs no doubt, even more so if they slash the subsidy.

7 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

It's "realise" that makes me so angry. They have been warned for years now.

Live transport even worse. Every box of langoustines will need a veterinary check.

Will that mean determining parentage?

I don't want to sound like a bigot or racist or whatever but I kind of think all langoustines look the same. 

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They might changed their minds if they think they'd have to replace the £10.8 Billion subsidy NI gets from London. That's £5760 for every man, woman and child.  Plus cover increased security costs no doubt, even more so if they slash the subsidy.

Are you Kevin Hague?