Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

I know what the Mainland is. I also know what Great Britain is. What point were you making?

How was that not clear from my original post? Irish reunification would be a huge problem:

- the Northern Irish economy is dependent on public sector jobs.

- there are a huge number of Unionists who would be reluctant to join with Eire against their will. 

- there would almost certainly be a resurrection of the Loyalist paramilitaries who would potentially bomb Dublin and make East Belfast a no go zone. 

In my opinion British observers will be required to ensure that her citizens are not mistreated by Irish authorities, meaning the imposition of curfews, and other totalitarian tactics would not be tolerated. I personally know ex- and current British servicemen who have told me they would join with Ulster paramilitaries to fight an oppressive Dublin regime. 

Overall, it would be a nightmare for Dublin, and one which the Irish would be wise to avoid. 

32 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

About whether Great Britain is the mainland? Well the six counties of Ulster that form Northern Ireland are a much smaller territory than the island of Great Britain - which encompasses the whole of England, Scotland and Wales - therefore I would consider that consistent with the definition a quick Google search provides which is thus:

mainland
/ˈmeɪnlənd,ˈmeɪnland/
noun
  1. a large continuous extent of land that includes the greater part of a country or territory, as opposed to offshore islands and detached territories.
    "the mainland of Europe"

You say that 'the island of Great Britain...encompasses the whole of England, Scotland and Wales"

I must have missed the Outer & Inner Hebrides, the Orkneys, the Shetlands, the Clyde Islands, Anglesey, the Scillies, the Isle of Wight and myriad others declaring UDI.

1 minute ago, G_&_T said:

How was that not clear from my original post? Irish reunification would be a huge problem:

- there are a huge number of Unionists who would be reluctant to join with Eire against their will. 

- there would almost certainly be a resurrection of the Loyalist paramilitaries who would potentially bomb Dublin and make East Belfast a no go zone. 

In my opinion British observers will be required to ensure that her citizens are not mistreated by Irish authorities, meaning the imposition of curfews, and other totalitarian tactics would not be tolerated. I personally know ex- and current British servicemen who have told me they would join with Ulster paramilitaries to fight an oppressive Dublin regime. 

Overall, it would be a nightmare for Dublin, and one which the Irish would be wise to avoid. 

I think you may being underestimating the the mind set of most of the Protestant population of Northern Ireland. The opinion polls indicate that they would be more angry about a hard brexit brought about by the DUP than a border poll. I doubt very much that a border poll would happen, mainly because Dublin would be arguing against it, but the idea of you and your ex and current military pals doing more than attending a TOMMEH! march is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think you may being underestimating the the mind set of most of the Protestant population of Northern Ireland. The opinion polls indicate that they would be more angry about a hard brexit brought about by the DUP than a border poll. I doubt very much that a border poll would happen, mainly because Dublin would be arguing against it, but the idea of you and your ex and current military pals doing more than attending a TOMMEH! march is laughable. 

You're up late and responding to this pish, get some structure in your life.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Really?! Care to substantiate that?! I know Northern Ireland voted against Brexit as a whole, but pretty sure the majority of Unionists were in favour of it. 

8 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

'Pretty sure'?  Like . . . Scientifically proven? 

You are the one who made the original assertion therefore it is for you to prove. The DUP are pro-Brexit, and they're the most popular Unionist party.  I believe Sinn Fein are pro-Remain...unsurprisingly. 

Edited by G_&_T

Fucking hell

You are a piece of shit

1 minute ago, G_&_T said:

Really?! Care to substantiate that?! I know Northern Ireland voted against Brexit as a whole, but pretty sure the majority of Unionists were in favour of it. 

The only party who want a hard brexit for the UK are Sinn Fein, because they know the DUP will get blamed for it, and everything will be up for play. Almost every organisation in Northern Ireland from Unions, Farmers, Retailers, Industrialists etc have said they're in favour of May's deal, but the DUP are fixated with the backstop which would give NI the best deal of any area in the EU, paying nothing, full tariff free access to both the EU and UK markets, and something which would likely never happen because it would be hugely costly to the EU if it did. The DUP  thinking they are playing a clever game by siding with the European Research Group and simultaneously flirting with May will fall apart when they've either succeeded in fucking it up for everyone, or May recognises she needs to talk to serious people with thoughts about the interests of the country rather than the likes of Sammy Wilson.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The only party who want a hard brexit for the UK are Sinn Fein, because they know the DUP will get blamed for it, and everything will be up for play. Almost every organisation in Northern Ireland from Unions, Farmers, Retailers, Industrialists etc have said they're in favour of May's deal, but the DUP are fixated with the backstop which would give NI the best deal of any area in the EU, paying nothing, full tariff free access to both the EU and UK markets, and something which would likely never happen because it would be hugely costly to the EU if it did. The DUP  thinking they are playing a clever game by siding with the European Research Group and simultaneously flirting with May will fall apart when they've either succeeded in fucking it up for everyone, or May recognises she needs to talk to serious people with thoughts about the interests of the country rather than the likes of Sammy Wilson.

And so called  'responsible adults' cast their votes for these dinosaurs. Isn't politics a fun and rewarding pastime. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy