Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Remind us their reason for this.

They're more interested in the Roi, and can't square the circle of opposing austerity in the RoI while implementing it in NI, so use the Irish Language Act and Gay Marriage  (both of which they were quite happy about not having prior to the Renewable Heat debacle) as a smokescreen to not get the Executive set up.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They're more interested in the Roi, and can't square the circle of opposing austerity in the RoI while implementing it in NI, so use the Irish Language Act and Gay Marriage  (both of which they were quite happy about not having prior to the Renewable Heat debacle) as a smokescreen to not get the Executive set up.

I was hoping for more objectivity...

Whodathunkit?

Japan is seeking tougher concessions from Britain in trade talks than it secured from the EU, while negotiations between London and Tokyo are also being slowed by the looming risk of no-deal Brexit.

Japanese trade negotiators are confident they can extract better terms, the Financial Times reported, in a sign of the mounting difficulties facing UK officials as they attempt to line up post-Brexit trade deals around the world.

49 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

The smooooooooooth operators of Westminster are doing a grand job of winning the Irish over to Brexit.

If they ever get unity, I hope the UK government does the right thing and quickly brings the civil service jobs in Northern Ireland back to the mainland - as I understand around 1/3 of them work as civil servants. 

Plus I'd be interested to see how they cope with East Belfast, and the loyalist communities over there. We would need observers to make sure their human rights are respected...though I'd imagine the Irish government would struggle to cope with 3/4 million people who are vehemently opposed to unification, many of whom would support the loyalist paramilitaries. For a nation of five million, it'd be an interesting to see how they'd cope. 

Edited by G_&_T

If they ever get unity, I hope the UK government does the right thing and quickly brings the civil service jobs in Northern Ireland back to the mainland - as I understand around 1/3 of them work as civil servants. 
Plus I'd be interested to see how they cope with East Belfast, and the loyalist communities over there. We would need observers to make sure their human rights are respected...though I'd imagine the Irish government would struggle to cope with 3/4 million people who are vehemently opposed to unification, many of whom would support the loyalist paramilitaries. For a nation of five million, it'd be an interesting to see how they'd cope. 
What in the name of f**k is this?

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
24 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

What in the name of f**k is this?

My thoughts on Irish reunification...

Heard we export more to Eire than China and Brazil put together. Nice as it is to get an early continuance deal with the Faroe Islands, I think our reps like Liam Fox should recognise geographical realities in trade and concentrate more on our European markets than galavanting off to the Caribbean and South Sea Islands. 

The fucking mainland!! Revoke your account

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

The fucking mainland!! Revoke your account

Aye. The 'fucking mainland'! What's your problem...?

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

Spread them around Lincolnshire and get them picking fruit and veg.

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

What, exactly, is your point?

About whether Great Britain is the mainland? Well the six counties of Ulster that form Northern Ireland are a much smaller territory than the island of Great Britain - which encompasses the whole of England, Scotland and Wales - therefore I would consider that consistent with the definition a quick Google search provides which is thus:

mainland
/ˈmeɪnlənd,ˈmeɪnland/
noun
  1. a large continuous extent of land that includes the greater part of a country or territory, as opposed to offshore islands and detached territories.
    "the mainland of Europe"

6 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

About whether Great Britain is the mainland? Well the six counties of Ulster that form Northern Ireland are a much smaller territory than the island of Great Britain - which encompasses the whole of England, Scotland and Wales - therefore I would consider that consistent with the definition a quick Google search provides which is thus:

mainland
/ˈmeɪnlənd,ˈmeɪnland/
noun
  1. a large continuous extent of land that includes the greater part of a country or territory, as opposed to offshore islands and detached territories.
    "the mainland of Europe"

I know what the Mainland is. I also know what Great Britain is. What point were you making?