Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

26 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

The stand-up comedian Jeremy Hardy died recently.

I recall one line he said:

"It must be wonderful being a Lib Dem politician.  You can promise anything - a giraffe in every garden - and it doesn't matter because you'll never form the government and you'll never have to deliver on any of these promises".

That was said long ago, before the Lib Dems went into coalition with the Tories.

However I find it relevant.  I feel with Brexit that the Tories are offering a giraffe in every garden, have absolutely no idea how to deliver on it, have not got hold of a single giraffe and are trying to blame the EU for all their difficulties.

Now if it had been duck billed platypuses then that might have been easier ...

Are these giraffes compulsory or optional?

In the last month or so I’ve lost count of the number of commentators and politicians who have come away with “the EU always take things to the last minute then concede”.  Donald Tusk’s attitude today hopefully nails that one on the head.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In the last month or so I’ve lost count of the number of commentators and politicians who have come away with “the EU always take things to the last minute then concede”.  Donald Tusk’s attitude today hopefully nails that one on the head.

Aye David Davis being one.

There would be no need for the last minute if he was a competent negotiator in his 2 years as Brexit secretary.

Don’t know if this has already been mention but the U.K. Transport Secretary is no longer welcome in Calais!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-chris-grayling-calais-port-no-deal-planning-ferries-ramsgate-ostend-a8765256.html

23 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

When is May's rehashed deal due for vote?
Also, serious question, when are the first blue passports set for issue?

I suspect the keenest Brexiteers will be able to show off their brand new blue passports on All Fools Day.

How appropriate.

I would love the EU to confirm today that the WA will not be renegotiated.  I am pretty sure that will happen.

I would also love it if they reaffirmed that an extension to A50 will only be agreed if their is good reason - a GE or second referendum.  Sadly I don’t see them doing this.

I am also delighted that Bercow is in the chair during this; it could make a massive difference to the outcome.

Edited by Granny Danger

I would love the EU to confirm today that the WA will not be renegotiated.  I am pretty sure that will happen.
I would also love it if they reaffirmed that an extension to A50 will only be agreed if their is good reason - a GE or second referendum.  Sadly I don’t see them doing this.
I am also delighted that Bercow is in the chair during this; it could make a massive difference to the outcome.

I'm actually now of the opinion that Tusk and pals want a no deal now as well to show their strength if anyone else gets the same idea. Either that or a cancellation (which can't happen).

Getting ever closer to no deal now.

6 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I'm actually now of the opinion that Tusk and pals want a no deal now as well to show their strength if anyone else gets the same idea. Either that or a cancellation (which can't happen).

It wouldn't surprise me, there was never any chance that they were going to buckle for the very reason mentioned plus of course they had no reason to do so, despite what many deluded Brexiteers believe.

Britain is a bankrupt mickey mouse country in the wider picture and being part of a huge trading group is obviously going to be of more benefit than being a lone wolf begging for scraps from the likes of the USA controlled by a lunatic like Trump.

Still, those at the top will undoubtedly make a fortune from negotiating little deals which will see the rest of us sold right down the river............

18 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

A cancellation can happen.  It’s actually one of the more straightforward options given the ECJ ruling.

That’s not the same as saying that it’s likely to happen.

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

You're using the wrong language here, with a mistakenly negative implication.

The EU is entitled to protect its own interests. As is the UK, who chose to leave. That's significantly different from implying that the EU is taking unfair measures simply as a means of dictating possible future implications to its own members.

Where the interests of the EU and the UK clash, the EU is perfectly entitled....in fact, bound....to favour its own needs and the needs of its member countries.

I suspect that many Brexit extremists have never understood that from the beginning. They're too busy looking upon our European friends and cousins as some kind of bullying enemy, that should be dealt with by sending in the Lancaster bombers.