Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Which of the Heinz 57 varieties of Leave did they vote for?

Many Leave campaigners promised that there would be a Norway or Switzerland style deal only for it to never be an option from the outset.

It's been hard Brexit or No Brexit from the start just to appease the wankers in the ERG.

I wouldn't even say it's the ERG's fault, at least not initially. May painted the whole country into a corner when she came up with those stupid red lines. The only time in the whole negotiation where she was in control of driving the narrative, and she chose to jump off a cliff.

I think Brexit is one of the stupidest things this country has ever done, but I would have grudgingly accepted a Norway or Switzerland style solution. 

I recall being in Angola when David Bowie died.  As a Portuguese speaking country, the main news channel was Brazilian.
It devoted a lot of time to his death.  I thought why would they devote so much time to David Bowie - surely Brazil has something equivalent.
Similarly, I encounter foreigners talking about the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens and James Bond films.
You would think this might count as exceptionalism.
Yet the Brexiteers show no interest in any of this.
They are more interested in great battles and world conquest.
In the past, militarily, the UK had one big advantage - a giant moat.
Once some fool invented the airplane, that changed everything.
For the future, there are no colonies to be created and I doubt there will be any great battles and territory to gain.
I guess the Brexiteers haven't realised that the world has moved on.

Cause arts funding has been decimated and culture has become a safe and sanitised middle class career. Britain owes its decades of cultural relevance to the working classes who aren’t allowed to dream big anymore unless they win the X Factor.

42 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Which of the Heinz 57 varieties of Leave did they vote for?

Many Leave campaigners promised that there would be a Norway or Switzerland style deal only for it to never be an option from the outset.

It's been hard Brexit or No Brexit from the start just to appease the wankers in the ERG.

It's like someone moving out of the family home.

Does it still count if you move to a house only three doors down?
Does it still count if you still live on the same street?

Voters were asked if they wanted to Remain in the EU or Leave.
After the voters went for Leave - nobody ask them how much.

"We've leaving the family home - Australia here we come."
("You know - New Zealand is even further away")

For people like Farage and UKIP and the ERG, any deal with the EU will be seen as betrayal.
They can afford to endure the purest of pure Brexits.  I doubt everybody else can.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

She acknowledged that Northern Ireland had voted to remain and that some saw this departure as having "unwanted" impact. I think that is the first time she has diverged from the "We voted to join as a country, and we will leave as a country"-- the answer she gives to Ian Blackford etc in  Westminster, I cant remember her ever acknowledging this about scotland in any other comments but I stopped listening to her many months ago . She also said the GFA demands the consent of the people of NI to any change in it's   Constitutional status-surely losing your EU Constitutional status is being effected in that Remain  province? ( or one of the four nations in our family of nations)  She also appears to say there has to be an insurance policy so the Bin the backstop guys will be just as likely to vote down any minor change next week. She could have given that drivel of a speech at any time since becoming PM.

She should have headed straight to Brussels instead of wasting time in N.Ireland.  What could she possibly change  that's going to satisfy N.Ireland, Rep of Ireland and the EU? 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
12 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:
Arlene Foster just been on  Radio 4 saying that the intransigence of the EU and the Irish Republic in negotiations over the backstop is unacceptable.
"IT'S UNACCEPTABLE SO IT IS."

© Jim MacDonald.

I’ll tell ye this and I’ll tell ye no more, Elizabeth.

Edited by Antlion

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You can't scoff as stories about chlorinated chicken then start banging on about a European army you mad fanny

I don't think I have made any comment on the very serious matter of chlorinated chicken.  The only thing I have seen on the matter is that the EU food safety people have twice looked at it and twice deemed it safe.

Apparently there is more chlorine I the water that you drink.  Bloody EU and there chlorinated water.

16 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

She should have headed straight to Brussels instead of wasting time in N.Ireland.  What could she possibly change  that's going to satisfy N.Ireland, Rep of Ireland and the EU? 

Trying to get the Irish onside and maybe some cooperation from Labour MPs. I think she's finally given up on the ERG and hoping domestic pressure is building up on the DUP. 

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If the result was clear then answer the question.  What form of Brexit did the people vote for; a Hard Brexit, May’s Deal or something else?

All of those are more reasonable than voting to leave on the basis that it might bring about Scottish Independence. 

However, I am sure that there were many different reasons for the leave vote just as there were for remain.  Unless you believe that the remain voters are one late hemogenous group with identical expectations on our future relationship with the EU?

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

I don't think I have made any comment on the very serious matter of chlorinated chicken.  The only thing I have seen on the matter is that the EU food safety people have twice looked at it and twice deemed it safe.

Apparently there is more chlorine I the water that you drink.  Bloody EU and there chlorinated water.

Chlorine is a way of covering up the shocking conditions American poultry are reared in. It's about animal welfare rather than whether it's safe to eat.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Chlorine is a way of covering up the shocking conditions American poultry are reared in. It's about animal welfare rather than whether it's safe to eat.

Really?  Since you appear to be well versed on this, what are the relative differences between the EU and the US in terms of animal welfare?

Edited by strichener

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

All of those are more reasonable than voting to leave on the basis that it might bring about Scottish Independence. 

However, I am sure that there were many different reasons for the leave vote just as there were for remain.  Unless you believe that the remain voters are one late hemogenous group with identical expectations on our future relationship with the EU?

Don’t waffle.  You said it was clear what people had voted for, it certainly isn’t clear to me.

So, since you are very clear about it, for the third time what did people vote for?

1.  A Hard Brexit

2.  Theresa May’s deal.

3.  Something else.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I agree with you, it's becoming rather repetitive.  So let me ask you, hand on heart what is it that you seek from Brexit ?  Freedom from whatever it is that haunts many British Nationalists about the EU, illusory or otherwise ?  Or freedom for the UK to finally become Baldrick to America's Blackadder as we jointly intervene in sovereign economies and undertake illegal military adventures whilst arming despotic b*****ds to the hilt, as long as they are 'our' b*****ds ?

I'm almost 63 and I've watched the UK descend into a grubby, greedy, grasping, immoral and corrupt  little island.  The EU has many, many faults, but it is my firm belief that retaining membership is the best option for the UK, Scotland and my grandaughters' future.

Feel free to read my previous posts on my expectations of our relationship with the EU. 

Just now, strichener said:

Really?  Since you appear to be well versed on this, what are the relative differences between the EU and the US in terms of animal welfare?

In the EU they don't have to chlorinate their chicken meat to make it safe to eat.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t waffle.  You said it was clear what people had voted for, it certainly isn’t clear to me.

So, since you are very clear about it, for the third time what did people vote for?

1.  A Hard Brexit

2.  Theresa May’s deal.

3.  Something else.