Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I am currently reading A Small Town in Germany by John le Carre, set against the backdrop of European protests against Britain joining the Common market.

Interesting. Even half a century on, the feeling in this country (well, parts of it) is that they need us more than we need them. Not at all. I think there are many in Europe happy to see Britain go.

Yeah but never mind.  We'll get some marvelous deals from countries that really don't need us at all.  That will show them!

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yeah but never mind.  We'll get some marvelous deals from countries that really don't need us at all.  That will show them!

I'm particularly excited about my chlorinated Chicken !!

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I am currently reading A Small Town in Germany by John le Carre, set against the backdrop of European protests against Britain joining the Common market.

Interesting. Even half a century on, the feeling in this country (well, parts of it) is that they need us more than we need them. Not at all. I think there are many in Europe happy to see Britain go.

It's a weird fetish that the Empire-ists have where they want everyone to think that England is massively important on a world stage and that everyone needs them, and thinking that any of that shit really matters.

Very need people. In truth England is just part of a daft wee island that is often seen as arrogant, stupid and self interested, as well as massively delusional.

They're like cavemen who are proudly boasting about a massive big of mammoth meat and saying how everyone needs them and their stone age tools or they'll be no mammoth meat whilst the others are firing around on their new chariots and inventing maths and discovering planets.

A clumsy metaphor, but really a lot of folk don't care about the posturing that we see from the pathetic successive UK governments. The need to be seen as powerful and important is very much a stone age characteristic in it's thinking, but it's a certain type of arsehole who still thinks it's in any way relevant or desirable. Of course such people and politics exist everywhere, but I get the impression that it's much more prevalent in UK politics.

It's not even as if they want any sort of power to help people; it's all about greed and money.

Edited by DA Baracus

It's a weird fetish that the Empire-ists have where they want everyone to think that England is massively important on a world stage and that everyone needs them, and thinking that any of that shit really matters.
Very need people. In truth England is just part of a daft wee island that is often seen as arrogant, stupid and self interested, as well as massively delusional.
They're like cavemen who are proudly boasting about a massive big of mammoth meat and saying how everyone needs them and their stone age tools or they'll be no mammoth meat whilst the others are firing around on their new chariots and inventing maths and discovering planets.

A clumsy metaphor, but really a lot of folk don't care about the posturing that we see from the pathetic successive UK governments. The need to be seen as powerful and important is very much a stone age characteristic in it's thinking, but it's a certain type of arsehole who still thinks it's in any way relevant or desirable. Of course such people and politics exist everywhere, but I get the impression that it's much more prevalent in UK politics.
It's not even as if they want any sort of power to help people; it's all about greed and money.
Obsessed by status, either preserving or achieving; socially, financially, politically. As though anyone should give a solitary f**k.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:
12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Obsessed by status, either preserving or achieving; socially, financially, politically. As though anyone should give a solitary f**k.

Aye, that's it! Sums it up much better than my long winded nonsense.

Reminds me of a certain football club in Scotland

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Like interpreting scripture, defining what exactly is meant by 'Leave' is beyond almost every UK politician and pundit so your suggestion that voters should have migrated to the Liberals is utterly fatuous.

Meanwhile back in the real world, the only clear 'leaving' is being conducted by UK-based companies, head offices, jobs, EU nationals, etc., and absolutely all of it caused by internal divisions in the Tory Party.

Or we could have remained and shaped the EU with our loud, strong, voice that holds such sway over the EU.  Do we know where that would have led us?  How did you vote regarding the Maastricht or Lisbon treaties?

The absolute shambles in negotiating an exit and the subsequent Westminster shenanigans can be laid squarely at the feet of the politicians.  This in no way detracts from the referendum result - the electorate made their position clear.

I'm particularly excited about my chlorinated Chicken !!
This is a good examples of something that has been taken in by the public as fact in the same way it's the SNP fault if people have to pay to park at work.

Why on earth would we need to have chlorinated chicken when we have Scottish food standards which won't change. We don't need or want to import chicken, beef, pork, lamb in this country.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

Or we could have remained and shaped the EU with our loud, strong, voice that holds such sway over the EU.  Do we know where that would have led us?  How did you vote regarding the Maastricht or Lisbon treaties?

The absolute shambles in negotiating an exit and the subsequent Westminster shenanigans can be laid squarely at the feet of the politicians.  This in no way detracts from the referendum result - the electorate made their position clear.

Really?  Was it clearly in favour of a Hard Brexit, or clearly in favour of Theresa May’s proposal or was it clearly in favour of some alternative?

This is a good examples of something that has been taken in by the public as fact in the same way it's the SNP fault if people have to pay to park at work.

Why on earth would we need to have chlorinated chicken when we have Scottish food standards which won't change. We don't need or want to import chicken, beef, pork, lamb in this country.
Out of the EU but in the UK, Scottish food standards will change whenever Uncle Sam tells us too

We're gonna be one of them "Rogue Nations" aren;t we - not to worry we can always count on Persia as an ally!

NEW: Ministers’ private concern over US Congress siding with Dublin. Specifically Cabinet sources point to impact on any US-UK trade deal should UK be seen to renege on commitments to Dublin.

Edited by btb

37 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Go into your local supermarket and read the labels on where the produce comes from, you may indeed stay in Dunfermline or Cowdenbeath with loads of local produce available but your supermarket will still be offloading Chicken from Thailand, Malaysia and the likes, of course it's still up to you whether you eat it or not, but sadly not everyone has the option of affording locally sourced produce and it's they who will be hit hardest as always.

Go into your local supermarket and read the labels on where the produce comes from, you may indeed stay in Dunfermline or Cowdenbeath with loads of local produce available but your supermarket will still be offloading Chicken from Thailand, Malaysia and the likes, of course it's still up to you whether you eat it or not, but sadly not everyone has the option of affording locally sourced produce and it's they who will be hit hardest as always.
Pish.

Morrisons fresh meat is entirely British. I'm sure they are not the only ones with that policy either.

I have never seen chicken from Thailand on sale.

Just because it's Thai chicken doesn't mean it came from Thailand. No-one is that dim?????

8 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Pish.

Morrisons fresh meat is entirely British. I'm sure they are not the only ones with that policy either.

Just because it's Thai chicken doesn't mean it came from Thailand. No-one is that dim?????

As it happens we import 127,200 tonnes of chicken from Thailand.

https://www.poultryworld.net/Meat/Articles/2016/6/UK-less-self-sufficient-for-poultry-2821542W/

9 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Pish.

I'm sorry matey but you're arguing with someone who works in the business here and you are 100% wrong.

As for your Thai Chicken nonsense, I'm not even going there.