Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:
6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
You have to have some grudging respect for the Tory party, who aren't so much a party in the traditional sense, but more a coalition of evil c***s who have so often been willing to put their hatred of each other to the side to concentrate on their shared hatred of the poor.

You'd think it would be exhausting being hateful, evil c***s all the time

It is. May is only 36.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Brexiteers on BBC News just there talking about potential food shortages:

"A seasonal diet will probably do us good"

"I think it will make people appreciate what they have if we have to go without for a bit"

I'm sure that will play out well in a consumerist society.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

article-1264092-081D0A9F000005DC-144_468x339.jpg

Wait, his post was serious?! I thought he was joking!

Are we all enjoying the delicious certainty, safety and security we were promised in 2014 if we stayed part of the Union? A Union that has served us well for hundreds of years, if it ain't broke don't fix it, why take the risk etc? I don't know how many Scots cringers I had this argument with at the time, how many times I said that it doesn't quite work like that, a No vote isn't a vote for everything to stay the same forever. The SNP should be shouting this from the rooftops and reminding unionists what they said at the time but as usual they're wasting the opportunity.

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

The Telegraph are trying their hardest to blame Jeremy Corbyn.

Tbf it was years ago, before they got him for visiting graveyards without respectable people like Karl Marx under the ground.

Theresa May spent 2 years negotiating with Europe before coming back with a deal that she said was the only deal available.  She now wants Tory MPs to accept a backbench amendment to that same deal.

A half way decent, credible, capable opposition leader would be humiliating her with this nonsense; absolutely destroying her.

You'd think someone would ask May during PMQs (or just anyone really, as it would then be in Hansard and presumably the news - yeah, yeah, I know) "Does the Prime Minister still believe that people should have a vote on whether they agree with the terms of any deal after a referendum as she did after the Welsh Assembly referendum? If not, what had changed since then, especially given that the EU referendum was only ever advisory and that the promise of "The Easiest Deal in History" and "Nothing would change" have proven to be false?"

Theresa May & the ERG/DUP seem to have out-stared the Remain faction in the Tory party by getting "leading Remainers" to agree to an amendment to the Brexit Bill calling for a new Backstop to be negotiated and the Transition Period to be extended for a year until the end of 2021. This has resulted in a change of plans at Westminster with TM is now going to open today's debate outlining the new deal she hopes to negotiate. at Brussels.

The proposals have already being dismissed as unworkable in Brussels & Dublin. 

Edited by btb

8 minutes ago, btb said:

Theresa May & the ERG/DUP seem to have out-stared the Remain faction in the Tory party by getting "leading Remainers" to agree to an amendment to the Brexit Bill calling for a new Backstop to be negotiated and the Transition Period to be extended for a year until the end of 2021. This has resulted in a change of plans at Westminster with TM is now going to open today's debate outlining the new deal she hopes to negotiate. at Brussels.

The proposals have already being dismissed as unworkable in Brussels & Dublin. 

At least this thread will continue for another 2 to 3 years at least.

"Brexit", the gift that literally never stops giving.

I've also heard that the latest blockbuster remake will be groundhog day with Theresa May replacing Bill Murray, where she'll get to re-live and repeat each day time and time again as she's certainly had lots of practice recently.

Still, at least things are strong and stable...........

Tony "Toxic" Blair..........................:lol:

Blair says people should listen to MPs on Brexit because MPs are better informed

Politicians should be ready to “stand up” to members of the public who brand them elitist because they argue for a second Brexit referendum, Tony Blair has said. Speaking at the launch of the annual Edelman Trust Barometer in London, he said people should listen to what MPs say about Brexit because MPs were likely to be better informed.

As the Press Association reports, Blair recalled an encounter with a member of the public in which he tried to explain details of the working of the EU’s single market and customs union which made him oppose Brexit, only to receive the reply: “You’re just trying to say to me that you know far more about this than I do.” Blair went on:

I was prime minister for 10 years.

I want to say to people, I follow Newcastle United, if a game is on the TV I will watch it, but I know that Rafa Benitez has forgotten more about football in one day than I will ever know.

It’s not because he is smarter than me - though he probably is smarter than me - it’s because that’s what he spends his life doing.

You send people to parliament and that’s their day job. It’s not your day job. So if they study the detail and say this is a bad idea, they are not squabbling children, they are doing what you sent them to parliament to do.

If you explain that to people they regard this as the elite fighting back. It’s absurd. We have got to have politicians who stand up and say ‘No, that is not a sensible way of looking at this’.

This is an argument contains an obvious truth, but it is not something MPs say in public these days - and even Blair would have thought twice about putting it in these terms when he was in the Commons himself. In the 19030s the Labour politician Douglas Jay famously wrote: “The gentleman in Whitehall really does know better what is good for people than the people know themselves.” But this quote became a byword for establishment hubris and ever since MPs have been extremely nervous about ever saying they are better informed than their voters.

Strong & Stable...........

The government has scheduled a Commons statement today on HM Revenue and Customs estate transformation. As the Labourwhips Twitter account says, this is obviously to push back the start of the debate by about an hour, until around 1.30pm, because there is no reason why MPs need to hear an update on this today.

It might be because May needs more time to negotiate the terms of the assurances she is going to offer in her speech (see 10.30am), or it might be because she just needs more time to write the wretched thing.

48 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

At least our quality standards will be protected............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47036119

Wasn't that one of the plays all along? Standards are negotiated downwards to meet US ones so their food and drugs companies profit. Think it was one of the Cambridge Analytica articles in the Guardian which suggested billionaire Mercer was heavily invested in such businesses.

6 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Wasn't that one of the plays all along? Standards are negotiated downwards to meet US ones so their food and drugs companies profit. Think it was one of the Cambridge Analytica articles in the Guardian which suggested billionaire Mercer was heavily invested in such businesses.

Undoubtedly, we're seen as a cash cow to the yanks and when best to hit us but when we're down and out of options.

The really sad part is that there's those who believe that the Americans are our saviours with the "special relationship" etc, of course for those in power it's more about the future job prospects with NED positions and advisory roles suddenly appearing in the big US corporations.

"What can your country do for you" ??