Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

14 minutes ago, strichener said:

Even with the current directive, it is a floor that is set.  Countries are free to set it to any rate above the 15% floor.  Ask yourself why that floor isn't 0%.

We still have zero rated goods, and 5% is allowed in certain circumstances. You're just not allowed to drop from the standard rate having set goods there. I'd try to reform it from the inside to allow higher rates on luxury goods and lower rates on essentials, but the cost/benefits of leaving just for VAT control under a Tory Government would rule it out.

Edited by welshbairn

56 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

They need us more than we need them. We need to start telling Brussels what to do rather than the other way around. Who won the fucking war again?

Every time I see the “they need us more” argument and the idea that they will suffer as much as us it makes me think of this:

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We still have zero rated goods, and 5% is allowed in certain circumstances. You're just not allowed to drop from the standard rate having set goods there.

I know exactly what the rules are, we are not allowed to set goods to reduced rates unless there is agreement across the EU to allow it (see tampon tax).  Also the current directive does not allow the government flexibility to temporarily increase VAT revenue by increasing the vat rate as once this is done, it cannot be set back to the zero rate or reduced rate regardless of what was in place in 1991..

Your argument regarding distortion would hold more weight in there were similar restrictions to prevent distortions in the labour market or with corporate taxes. 

A sovereign state should have control over domestic taxation. 

I ask again - why is the floor not zero which would also prevent member states from using the tax to distort markets?

Asking what EU law needs changing should work, but they just say all of them and spin to taking back control. Or how they think we can get better trade deals with the leverage of a market of 60 million rather than 700 million, but they'd just say we wouldn't know until we tried. Logic doesn't trounce emotion.
Is that not what us in the Yes movement were also saying?

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

I ask again - why is the floor not zero which would also prevent member states from using the tax to distort markets?

Having Somerset scrumpy set at 0% and Normandy cidre at 20% would be a bit unfair.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

My objection to the VAT directive is not around the current VAT rates.

So what would you reduce it to? I'll edit this to: what should the rates be considering we already have reduced rates and zero rates on a ton of stuff. If you don't know you've really just got a general mump n' moan about the EU for no real reason.

Edited by Baxter Parp

9 minutes ago, strichener said:

I know exactly what the rules are, we are not allowed to set goods to reduced rates unless there is agreement across the EU to allow it (see tampon tax).  Also the current directive does not allow the government flexibility to temporarily increase VAT revenue by increasing the vat rate as once this is done, it cannot be set back to the zero rate or reduced rate regardless of what was in place in 1991..

Your argument regarding distortion would hold more weight in there were similar restrictions to prevent distortions in the labour market or with corporate taxes. 

A sovereign state should have control over domestic taxation. 

I ask again - why is the floor not zero which would also prevent member states from using the tax to distort markets.

You seem to be simultaneously arguing that the EU rules aren't flexible enough to allow market distortion and aren't flexible  enough to prevent market distortion.

What is it you actually want?

4 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

You want to abolish the Directive to increase revenue?

No.  That could be done within the current directive.  The UK could set the standard rate to 25% within the current directive.  We ccamot however reduce VAT on domestic energy from 5%.