Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Sony following Panasonic's lead by moving its headquarters to Amsterdam, as a result of Brexit.

The sad reality is that even if Brexit is cancelled completely it has already done huge, irreparable damage.

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

DxhWkwGWwAAgDvL.jpg

Indeed, it always reminds me of the begging charity adverts (which are non stop these days) where the multi millionaire "star" is pleading with us all to fork out "only £5 per month" to help cause A, B, C or whatever. Meanwhile they're often being paid for their appearance,  give bugger all of their own cash in most cases and sit back watching the zeros add up on their bank balances while Jimmy and Margaret Smith are feeling guilty about this child suffering in Africa while they're struggling to put food on the table for their own kids.

Barstewards the lot of them !!!

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

See also charities that pay their chief executives £100k+, comic relief/children in need telly appeal money going into investment portfolios that include arms and tobacco companies instead of directly helping people. It's a minefield donating ethically, best rule of thumb is keep it small and local.

Yip, it's basically just a legalised racket.

26 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

See also charities that pay their chief executives £100k+, comic relief/children in need telly appeal money going into investment portfolios that include arms and tobacco companies instead of directly helping people. It's a minefield donating ethically, best rule of thumb is keep it small and local.

In this day and age it's an absolute disgrace that children are dying of hunger and from drinking dirty water, I would give to those charities, but generally speaking, charity does begin at home..

5 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

The European Commission themselves have compiled a handy myth busting list

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

Just for the record, I voted Remain, and still would.

Within the link above , one of the subjects is 'acres'., and the  apparent 'banning' of it by the EU.

Here is the link..

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/acres-outlawed-by-brussels-2/

Right at the bottom is the rebuttal, which basically says that 'Hectare' as a replacement term for 'acre' has been used by the British government,

and the Land Registry for 20 years in official records., and that the EU thing was only making official  what was already established practice.

Or to be more exact, the extension of this would now be that private landowners, and estate agents, could still refer to 'acres', but would also

have to include 'hectares' in ads etc.

The thing is, which is what a large part of what Brexit is all about, the average Joe, has had no input, or part in all this.

Politics, government, officialdom .... far from the citizens.

And media like the Telegraph, the Sun  ... instead of asking questions , which is what proper journalism is actually about......

they just feed peoples' fears and prejudices.

Edited by beefybake

15 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The thing is, which is what a large part of what Brexit is all about, the average Joe, has had no input, or part in all this.

Politics, government, officialdom .... far from the citizens.

That is the same for any form of government. It doesn't stop the average Joe from running for office, or campaigning and lobbying and trying to make change.  Plenty have successfully done it.

It's like me whining about being a fat git when I am full in the knowledge that I can get off my arse and do something about it...or at the very least try and do something about it

Edited by I'm Brian

Charity can never meaningfully replace the state as an aid giving organisation. The problem is how to do your bit to help when the government is rapidly shedding all of its social responsibilities.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Charity can never meaningfully replace the state as an aid giving organisation. The problem is how to do your bit to help when the government is rapidly shedding all of its social responsibilities.

Bring down the government.

2 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

That is the same for any form of government. It doesn't stop the average Joe from running for office, or campaigning and lobbying and trying to make change.  Plenty have successfully done it.

It's like me whining about being a fat git when I am full in the knowledge that I can get off my arse and do something about it...or at the very least try and do something about it

I don't think so. Most of the time, most of us are just trying to earn a living, raise a family......

And what you're sidestepping ..., and justifying, is top down government. 

29 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Maybe the average Joe could vote in the European elections, thus choosing the people who make these laws?

2 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I don't think so. Most of the time, most of us are just trying to earn a living, raise a family......

And what you're sidestepping ..., and justifying, is top down government. 

There are plenty out there earning a wage and raising families who campaign for many different things many of whom have been successful

I'm not trying to and I never would attempt to justify a top down government. 

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Maybe the average Joe could vote in the European elections, thus choosing the people who make these laws?

Would it have any effect though? The European elections are in a few months and there doesn't seem to be debate about the potential ramifications of the results.

Would it have any effect though? The European elections are in a few months and there doesn't seem to be debate about the potential ramifications of the results.
Given that we probably won't have vote there wouldn't be much point. There's plenty debate about it in Europe, especially with the rise of the far right.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

In this day and age it's an absolute disgrace that children are dying of hunger and from drinking dirty water, I would give to those charities, but generally speaking, charity does begin at home..

What does this mean? That people who live within a certain radius of where you live are more worthy than those who live outside that radius?

Postcode charity basically?

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What does this mean? That people who live within a certain radius of where you live are more worthy than those who live outside that radius?

Charity is surely more effective when you can directly fund a good cause rather than funnelling the money through dubious multinationals and NGOs.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not necessarily "more worthy", but if it was a choice between funding similar charities in Maghera or London, I know which one I'd choose.