Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Terrified his trade jaunts to the Seychelles will stop if we join a Customs Union. He hasn't signed a single deal with 3rd countries so EU terms will carry on till we negotiate proper trade deals after a hard brexit.
Tbf I don't think we can sign deals till 29th March (depending on the deal or lack of)

Thankfully a solution has been found, May plans to amend the Good Friday Agreement.  I assume that could be done in a couple of weeks, three tops, then everything is fine to go on March 29th.

We will have to find something else to post about soon.

9 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I confess I had to Google "Belgian biscuit" to see what it was........a sign I have led a sheltered life.

Is it not just another name for an Empire biscuit ?     Or have I too, had a sheltered life ?

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Has there ever been a more stubborn and stupid politician than May?

She'll either deliver Brexit but bring back the IRA or there will be No Deal Brexit and IndyRef2.

Compromise just doesn't seem to be in her dictionary.

She has boxed herself into a corner.  If she tries for a softer Brexit, basically anything that includes a CU, she will split the Tory Party.  That is not hyperbole.

As with her predecessor it will be Party before country every time.

What is astounding is that it seems she genuinely did not see this coming.  No one with that level of naivety should be in her position.

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

She has boxed herself into a corner.  If she tries for a softer Brexit, basically anything that includes a CU, she will split the Tory Party.  That is not hyperbole.

As with her predecessor it will be Party before country every time.

What is astounding is that it seems she genuinely did not see this coming.  No one with that level of naivety should be in her position.

So it's war in the Tory party or war in Northern Ireland.  Tough choice, you'd have thought.

Can someone tell me if I have got this right.

They are simply going to unilaterally remove the Backstop from the Withdrawal Agreement and put that to parliament. All this in the knowledge that the EU demand the backstop and won't budge on it.

So the vote will now be on something which is impossible to implement, but will appease the ERG and DUP and possibly be passed

In this scenario no deal is the only outcome. Am I getting this right?

There was an Australian trade expert who used to work for the WTO being interviewed on the radio this morning.

Three big takes from what he said.  WTO is always a baseline that every country tries to build on; geographical proximity is always key in trade agreements (ie where possible you always want to trade with those closest to you); trade agreements take a long time and you will always get worse offers as an individual than as a block.

Edited by Granny Danger

For me it's all smoke and mirrors now. May is counting down the clock until the very last moment she can present her deal to parliament.

Then it will be my deal or no deal. Basically blackmailing the Commons to vote for her deal or the utter chaos of no deal.

The English don't want a People's vote and don't mind a No deal according to SKY polling last night.

So I'm convinced we'll end up with May's deal or No deal. Nothing will change from now till then.

Our only escape now is  independence. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

There was an Australian trade expert who used to work for the WTO being interviewed on the radio this morning.

Three big takes from what he said.  WTO is always a baseline that every country tries to build on; geographical proximity is always key in trade agreements (ie where possible you always want to trade with those closest to you); trade agreements take a long time and you will always get worse offers as an individual than as a block.

I didn't hear all of it, and it may have been part of the same broadcast...  I heard Brexiter Peter Lilley being interviewed

on BBC R4 this morning.    He was almost babbling, like someone living on another planet.  Absolute inability, or refusal , to face truth in the eye.

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

For me it's all smoke and mirrors now. May is counting down the clock until the very last moment she can present her deal to parliament.

Then it will be my deal or no deal. Basically blackmailing the Commons to vote for her deal or the utter chaos of no deal.

The English don't want a People's vote and don't mind a No deal according to SKY polling last night.

So I'm convinced we'll end up with May's deal or No deal. Nothing will change from now till then.

Our only escape now is  independence. 

I think Parliament has the ability to stop this; I hope they have the will.

I predict  one of the two major parties splitting.  Either the Tories If May tries to compromise or Labour if Corbyn stands in the way of Parliament exerting it’s authority.

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Neither party will split, it is suicide in a FPTP democracy. The question is which party is most vulnerable to losing votes to a Tommy Robinson fronted UKIP.

Incredible, isn't it.  A party with no MPs is able to dictate the agenda.  So much for "take back control".