Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Tbf there's one direction the European Project is currently accelerating towards and it's not the left. Also,with this being the centenary of the brutal betrayal and murder of Rosa Luxemburg let's remember what happens when social democrats ally with rabid conservatives.

Germany in 1919 was mayhem, with a new government of social democrats trying to establish itself.

Rosa Luxemburg supported a communist uprising with the aim of trying to create a set up similar to Bolshevik Russia. 

In the circumstances of the time, probably very much a moot point as to who betrayed who.

Edited by beefybake

I don't think the rise of the right in Europe correlates directly with poverty, Hungary and Poland have had some of the fastest wage growth rates in Europe and they have the most right wing Governments. Hungary is trying to impose compulsory overtime because they're short of labour, their strict immigration laws probably don't help. Disillusion with the status quo after the stagnation following 2008 when the people who caused it got off scotfree is understandable in the West , but the Polish economy barely skipped a beat. 

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Utterly delusional, yet untouchable. If she carries on with this attitude then No deal will be the only outcome. It's almost as if she is a rabid brexiteer. Monday's plan B announcement will be a giggle.

In short the UK is utterly fucked with her at the helm.

21 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Utterly delusional, yet untouchable. If she carries on with this attitude then No deal will be the only outcome. It's almost as if she is a rabid brexiteer. Monday's plan B announcement will be a giggle.

In short the UK is utterly fucked with her at the helm.

Tough and resolute!

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think the rise of the right in Europe correlates directly with poverty, Hungary and Poland have had some of the fastest wage growth rates in Europe and they have the most right wing Governments. Hungary is trying to impose compulsory overtime because they're short of labour, their strict immigration laws probably don't help. Disillusion with the status quo after the stagnation following 2008 when the people who caused it got off scotfree is understandable in the West , but the Polish economy barely skipped a beat. 

I believe there is a link to poverty, but I am of the notion that you have to look at the history and culture of those people/races to ascertain where these extreme views come from. 

From the Guardian.

"You could call it swing Saturday or crossover day, for this Saturday, 19 January, marks an important moment. This is the day, in theory, when the country turns remain. Even if not a single person has changed their mind since the referendum, the demographic shift alone will have done the heavy lifting. Enough old leavers will have died and enough young remainers will have come on to the electoral register to turn the dial on what the country thinks about Brexit."

From the Express

"BREXIT FURY: UK will 'turn remain' THIS WEEKEND as Leavers have DIED OFF - sick claims."  :lol:

(Note overuse of capitals for thickos.)

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

I believe there is a link to poverty, but I am of the notion that you have to look at the history and culture of those people/races to ascertain where these extreme views come from. 

Yes, I'd agree with this, although as someone who visits Poland regularly I never see any sort of direct racism from the ordinary locals towards any non whites. The fact that they're anti immigration isn't overly surprising in today's world where we hear every other day about a terrorist attack or random stabbing / shooting etc by a "migrant" in the likes of Germany, France and even England so if you buy the narrative that immigrants are responsible for lots of crime, then why would you want to take the risk and let them in ?

I should add that that I'm speaking from their perspective rather than my own, before everyone jumps on me.

As Welshbairn says it's not all linked to poverty but corruption must be right up there along with huge wage inequality between top and bottom and of course you also have the general breakdown in community spirit throughout the developed world with the dawn of social media being a main contributor.

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I'd agree with this, although as someone who visits Poland regularly I never see any sort of direct racism from the ordinary locals towards any non whites. The fact that they're anti immigration isn't overly surprising in today's world where we hear every other day about a terrorist attack or random stabbing / shooting etc by a "migrant" in the likes of Germany, France and even England so if you buy the narrative that immigrants are responsible for lots of crime, then why would you want to take the risk and let them in ?

I should add that that I'm speaking from their perspective rather than my own, before everyone jumps on me.

As Welshbairn says it's not all linked to poverty but corruption must be right up there along with huge wage inequality between top and bottom and of course you also have the general breakdown in community spirit throughout the developed world with the dawn of social media being a main contributor.

I live in the UK but  personally have never seen any sort of direct racism on a day to day basis...

Just saying.

Watching Starmer’s speech just before Sky and BBC cut it off.  He looked to be reaching the point that the next step in following conference decision is a second referendum.

I can see the Shadow Cabinet having to deal with this very soon and splitting.  It will be funny if it’s the Corbynite ‘democrats’ are the ones who decide to ignore the party policy.

35 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I'd agree with this, although as someone who visits Poland regularly I never see any sort of direct racism from the ordinary locals towards any non whites.

How often have you seen non whites in Poland? When I lived in Norwich there were hardly any non white faces outside the University and restaurants, but the BNP HQ was based there and had a regular stall by the market.