Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

If it is a no deal I think Corbyn and Labour will get more blame for it than May and the Tories. May will have kept her promise of taking us out of the EU, and can say that if Corbyn hadn't blocked her deal it would have been with a smooth transition. And he made no attempt to prevent it by offering an alternative that could win parliamentary support. Tories will say she did her best and potential Labour voters will ask why he did fuckall to stop it.

Leadsom’s response to last night’s stunning government defeat is that the EU has to offer more concessions!!!
What an absolute fucking idiot.

I did see boris last night say something along the lines of “she needs to renegotiate, keep all the good bits of the deal and get rid of the bad bits”.

[emoji849]

Corbyn’s quite the enigma, isn’t he?

I genuinely don’t think he has a strategy on this. He’s winging it.
Corbyn's behaviour has been completely awful. No way this man should get anywhere near running the country.

2 minutes ago, printer said:
18 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Corbyn’s quite the enigma, isn’t he?

I genuinely don’t think he has a strategy on this. He’s winging it.

Corbyn's behaviour has been completely awful. No way this man should get anywhere near running the country.

The country has been let down just as badly by him as by May.  At this point we know that there'll be a token vote of no confidence in the Government, which the Government will win.  That rules out a general election, and actually gives May more time to polish the Brexit turd.  Where Corbyn goes from there, I have no idea.  I assume that there's nothing May can negotiate that will bring 200 odd MPs on side.  Therefore the default position is No Deal, which nobody, other than some rabid right wing loonballs wants.    If that happens, the blame will be placed by May, not without some merit, squarely on Corbyn for not taking the May Deal.   So then there's the question of extending Article 50, which will only happen if there's an election or a second referendum.

At some point, he is obligated to take the lead on a People's Vote.   Failure to do so suggests, again not without reason, that he's firmly in the Leave camp.

I actually support a lot of what Corbyn ostensibly stands for, but he's proven himself utterly incapable of leadership, and unsuitable to be PM.  This raises the question of why he's so dead set on a General Election which he's by no means certain to win, unless internal polling suggests something far removed from the general polls.

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

The arguments on what the question might be in a second referendum would take longer than the Brexit negotiations.

They can put options to the HoC and vote on them.  Each vote takes about 30 minutes.

I would be happy with Remain/May’s deal or Remain/May’s deal/Hard Brexit.

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

The arguments on what the question might be in a second referendum would take longer than the Brexit negotiations.

And the rest. The Electoral Commission rules are ridiculously drawn out, I think it's 20 weeks just to decide which group should represent either side of the vote. A General Election can be called and held in 3 weeks normally, but in this case it would likely need a Tory Leadership contest first which would take 2 or 3 months.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It'd have to be May's deal versus stay, surely?

You'd hope, but the Labour front bench want their own version of a negotiated Brexit, the ERG and the Kate Hoey bandwagon would be happy with "No Deal"...does the PM have the authority to decide on whether to hold a referendum? I can't remember what the process was for DC calling the original. 

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It'd have to be May's deal versus stay, surely?

Either May will secure support for a "new" cross party Withdrawal Agreement for Parliament to vote on.  (Which would involve a change to some of her red lines) and that would be our deal which we'd leave on.

or if that can't be secured because she won't entertain freedom of movement/Custom's union/Single Market I can only see Parliament voting down her same deal.  Any referendum would then based on No deal v Remain.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They can put options to the HoC and vote on them.  Each vote takes about 30 minutes.

I would be happy with Remain/May’s deal or Remain/May’s deal/Hard Brexit.

Then the electoral commission has to test them for bias which takes a while.

1 minute ago, dee_62 said:

Either May will secure support for a "new" cross party Withdrawal Agreement for Parliament to vote on.  (Which would involve a change to some of her red lines) and that would be our deal which we'd leave on.

or if that can't be secured because she won't entertain freedom of movement/Custom's union/Single Market I can only see Parliament voting down her same deal.  Any referendum would then based on No deal v Remain.

That makes sense, and, dare I say it, echoes what many of the Tory leavers were saying to Andrew Neill the other night.  

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Then the electoral commission has to test them for bias which takes a while.

Can you have a referendum in which two of the three options are effectively the same thing (no deal/May's deal are both leave options)?   Seems tactically dubious at best.