Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Voxpops reduce quality journalism to below tabloid levels.  One or two ignorant twats are quoted as if they are speaking for the nation; they aren’t.

It is very, very lazy journalism.

I especially love the small samples they use.

Reporter: "We're here in Inverurie to gauge opinion."

Person 1: "I think it is a good thing."

Person 2: "I against it."

Reporter: "And there you have it folks - a split community."

On a separate note, my favourite vox pop was when Mikhael Gorbachev received his freedom of the city in Aberdeen.
A reporter interviewed a couple in the crowd.
"This is amazing.  We didn't want to miss it.  We've come all the way from Stonehaven."

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

It is true that we put more in than we get out so the logic is sound.

Except that you have to factor in the possibility that the factory might not have received the grant from the UK government unless it was a Tory marginal seat.

Edit: re the potteries grant

This. 

Do people really think the Tories are going to chuck £100’s of thousands at remote areas of the UK for regional development? 

Ill wager that they fucking well won’t.

Just now, Fullerene said:

I especially love the small samples they use.

Reporter: "We're here in Inverurie to gauge opinion."

Person 1: "I think it is a good thing."

Person 2: "I against it."

Reporter: "And there you have it folks - a split community."

On a separate note, my favourite vox pop was when Mikhael Gorbachev received his freedom of the city in Aberdeen.
A reporter interviewed a couple in the crowd.
"This is amazing.  We didn't want to miss it.  We've come all the way from Stonehaven."

With transport links up here that is no mean feat.

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/the-wisdom-of-crowds-using-betting-markets-to-predict-political-outcomes

5/1 chance of May's deal being accepted???

Wouldn't fancy betting on those odds but I'm surprised that they're that good.

Edited by Suspect Device

1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

How do you come to that conclusion?

The UK's GDP is roughly £2,000bn per annum. The lost growth since the xenophobes took leave of their senses is about 1% per annum i.e. £20bn.

Being in the EU gives us rights like freedom of movement which would be lost if the racists have their way.

It's self-evident that the UK has more international clout as part of one of the only three economies that matter rather than as a small isolated archipelago.

Hope that helps.

Do you think everything gets checked in and out the country just now?

No, funnily enough since we are in a free trade area and also have lots of free trade agreements through the EU, I don't.

It would get exactly the same checks as now.

Ah, so that's why they've had to add a new lane to the motorway heading to Dover, talk about buying an old airfield, extend Operation Stack from the M2 to the M20 and M26, give out contracts for ships and ports to ease congension and the like? That's why it's not important to get a deal, since they'll get exactly the same checks as before? Or could it be that you're talking out your arse and that WTO rules don't just allow you to wave through freight at the port of entry?

It's not guys in white vans bringing this stuff in it's some of the biggest companies in the world who have been supplying the NHS for a long time.

Ah, sorry, I just have missed the news about some of the biggest companies cracking teleportation technology. I just assumed you know since 4 million tonnes of freight are imported by truck into the UK, 98% of which is from the EU (28% of the total is from France alone) that some of that might be brought in by van, truck and lorry. Clearly the 90% of freight that is currently moved by road doesn't include medicines. After all, these are some of the biggest companies in the world. It's not as if the likes of Amazon, Ford, Samsung, or even GlaxoSmithKline use road freight to move their goods. Oh no, wait...

Apart from that though, you seem to have a real grasp of the subject.

57 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

This. 

Do people really think the Tories are going to chuck £100’s of thousands at remote areas of the UK for regional development? 

Ill wager that they fucking well won’t.

Exactly, their form over decades suggest that London and the SE is ALL that matters and why anyone thinks this will suddenly change post Brexit seems rather strange / deluded.

49 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/the-wisdom-of-crowds-using-betting-markets-to-predict-political-outcomes

You have to factor in how slippery, self serving and two faced the majority of our politicians actually are.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I've seen 11/1 in a few places - can't say I've seen it as low as 5/1 anywhere.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

No, funnily enough since we are in a free trade area and also have lots of free trade agreements through the EU, I don't.

Ah, so that's why they've had to add a new lane to the motorway heading to Dover, talk about buying an old airfield, extend Operation Stack from the M2 to the M20 and M26, give out contracts for ships and ports to ease congension and the like? That's why it's not important to get a deal, since they'll get exactly the same checks as before? Or could it be that you're talking out your arse and that WTO rules don't just allow you to wave through freight at the port of entry?

Ah, sorry, I just have missed the news about some of the biggest companies cracking teleportation technology. I just assumed you know since 4 million tonnes of freight are imported by truck into the UK, 98% of which is from the EU (28% of the total is from France alone) that some of that might be brought in by van, truck and lorry. Clearly the 90% of freight that is currently moved by road doesn't include medicines. After all, these are some of the biggest companies in the world. It's not as if the likes of Amazon, Ford, Samsung, or even GlaxoSmithKline use road freight to move their goods. Oh no, wait...

Apart from that though, you seem to have a real grasp of the subject.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm here?

16 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Dig for VictoryIMG_20190115_101442.jpg

So, let me get this clear, the choice is to continue as part of the EU and enjoy free movement and the benefits of being part of the worlds largest trading block or alternatively we risk "hunger and starvation".

MMMM

That's a tough choice...............

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I think any wee chance had gone. Hillary Benn has pulled his amendment which possibly could have pushed some of the ERG to vote in favour for the deal.

I think the real drama of the evening will be how the ammendments and ineviteable no confidence vote go. I know turkeys don't vote for Christmas etc but there's the real option for the ERG to go nuclear with the knowledge that it'd give the party two weeks to try and get a caretaker PM in to win confidence in the house.

Next PM is an interesting one, Corbyn is actually favourite at 5/1 with Johnson & Javid at 7's and then it's 12's bar.

That basically sums it all up where there's nobody stepping forward and nobody appearing capable / interested.

#shambles

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So the day has finally arrived when we can hand on heart say to the mods to delete the ‘slowly becoming’ part of this thread title. I mean its been a farce for ages but its confirmed after tonight.

Bit of wishful thinking there. I think May will definitely lose tonight, but not by the huge margin that so many are predicting.

That will let her argue that she might still be able to get more out of the EU, and continue the process of bringing deals back for parliament to chew over for some time yet.