Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

No because if you improved wages and terms conditions in the UK without ending Freedom of Movement then a large majority of the benefits will be absorbed by workers from lower wage economies rather than contributing to improving social issues here.
Right wing national governments and the right wing EU have been working together to lower wage costs across Europe. There is no solution in only taking on only Westminster or Brussels, it has to be both.

Eh? You and I were speaking about education, vocational training and social welfare being put in place. That takes years. Turning the tap is instant. There’s only one result with this approach and it isn’t very good for anyone.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is this bit true?

Proportion would probably be a better word choice than majority but if the improved UK labour market attracts another 1 million EE workers that prevents the benefits stretching down to the UK resident populations who most need them.

3 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Eh? You and I were speaking about education, vocational training and social welfare being put in place. That takes years. Turning the tap is instant. There’s only one result with this approach and it isn’t very good for anyone.

It'll be good for the people who get jobs and higher wages. It might be bad for employers but tough shit, Tory employers can deal with British workers moulded by Tory policies.

13 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

This is a personal observation and I don't have any facts or figures to back this up, but there seems to be fewer eastern Europeans going around than there was a few years ago. I certainly haven't noticed many working in supermarkets or cafes recently whereas 5 or 10 years ago there was loads.

Could it be that they're just drifting away by themselves?

I do know of quite a few who have returned home to Poland and this is mainly due to a real terms 25% wage cut in the past couple of years. You were getting over 6 zloty to the pound, however we're now in a trading range between 4.6 and 4.8, this has a huge effect considering many of the poles are saving up and sending their cash back home for real estate purchases etc.

There's also the other aspect that someone else has mentioned regarding the fact that Poland is booming at the moment, we generally go over 4 or 5 times a year to various Towns and City's, however the investment over the past 4 or 5 years has been huge, the places are all beautiful and spotless, lovely shopping centres, beautiful gardens and canals, fantastic architecture, their transport is all modern and advanced and there's lots of multi national investment popping up all over the place from large retail parks in the suburbs to investment bank skyscrapers within the City Centres.

Wroclaw and Bydgoszcz have especially come on in the past few years and the next upcoming area is Rzeszow in the SE of the country, what can I say, we're just very fortunate that we have easy access to these places from our local airports and also very fortunate that we can see the truth about Eastern Europe, which quickly dispels the myth that we're the rich ones and they're the poor people.................

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Wroclaw and Bydgoszcz have especially come on in the past few years and the next upcoming area is Rzeszow in the SE of the country, what can I say, we're just very fortunate that we have easy access to these places from our local airports and also very fortunate that we can see the truth about Eastern Europe, which quickly dispels the myth that we're the rich ones and they're the poor people.................

Good point, the likes of Wizz Air and Ryanair will likely cut their routes right back. But blue passports eh!

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Good point, the likes of Wizz Air and Ryanair will likely cut their routes right back. But blue passports eh!

They already have, Wizz have axed their Glasgow to Poznan, Lublin, Gdansk & Warsaw routes and the only 2 remaining are Budapest and Katowice.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

They already have, Wizz have axed their Glasgow to Poznan, Lublin, Gdansk & Warsaw routes and the only 2 remaining are Budapest and Katowice.

Glad to see they haven't cut their Aberdeen to Gdansk and Warsaw yet.