Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Well let's look at their options (if meaningful vote fails):

You've missed out one other Parliamentary option:

- May's government finally collapses after losing next week's vote and providing no credible alternative plan

- after confidence votes are held, the Mumbleclown cobbles together a brief minority government with enough cross-party support to address Brexit, presumably leading to some sort of customs union based compromise 

- after March the Mumbleclown ministry inevitably falls to a no-confidence vote and practically everyone in Parliament backs a new GE. 

The 70% threshold isn't the real stumbling block to holding a snap election now - the lack of a Tory leader would surely stop them from backing that option. Handing over to a minority government for a few months would allow them to hold a leadership contest in the meantime though.

I don't think that the above is the best solution but it's a realistic option on the table.

Edited by vikingTON

28 minutes ago, virginton said:

You've missed out one other Parliamentary option:

- May's government finally collapses after losing next week's vote and providing no credible alternative plan

- after confidence votes are held, the Mumbleclown cobbles together a brief minority government with enough cross-party support to address Brexit, presumably leading to some sort of customs union based compromise 

- after March the Mumbleclown ministry inevitably falls to a no-confidence vote and practically everyone in Parliament backs a new GE. 

The 70% threshold isn't the real stumbling block to holding a snap election now - the lack of a Tory leader would surely stop them from backing that option. Handing over to a minority government for a few months would allow them to hold a leadership contest in the meantime though.

I don't think that the above is the best solution but it's a realistic option on the table.

Thanks for that, never considered it. Presumably that scenario is dependent on the bold Corbyn negotiating your Customs Union compromise with the EU? 

We really are at the stage of choosing from different variations of shit show. 

Edited by Londonwell

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Or.....
No confidence motion is passed, no working government can be formed. Parliament is dissolved, March 29th there is no parliament so no vote. Hard Brexit.

Why would no working government be formed when there is a clear majority against a hard Brexit? That's all a caretaker government needs to sort out and then it can be dissolved.

The gammons meanwhile don't appear to be taking these developments well at all. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would no working government be formed when there is a clear majority against a hard Brexit? That's all a caretaker government needs to sort out and then it can be dissolved.

The gammons meanwhile don't appear to be taking these developments well at all. 

Is resolve Brexit not a bit simplistic?

The EU have stated there is no other deal to be made. So PM Jez would either need to cancel A50 or hold the nation's hand through a second referendum. And during this period the Tories will be fighting like cats in a sack. Then after Jeremy wins the referendum on Remain&Reform he takes on a Brexiteer Tory challenger in a General Election.

It seems unlikely that  Tory party donors are going to be comfortable with that scenario.

It's not up to Tory party donors to decide the matter; Parliament is sovereign and the onus is on MPs to find a solution. If that has a greater chance of happening under a Mumbleclown minority than a completely rudderless Tory party then that will be explored in the weeks to come. 

The main conclusion of the new year is that May's laughable ''preparations for hard Brexit' campaign has backfired; Parliament still isn't buying her shite deal and is now coming together to reject dropping out without a deal as well. 

I think you might be waiting a while before a single Tory MP goes #JC4PM.

Labour are also committed to a GE so if the government is dissolved they would go straight for a GE rather than playing nice with c***s like Grieve and Soubry.

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Pretty sure they voted with the government. 

I’m struggling to find out for sure, but if so that is significant.  It would show that even with DUP support the government can be defeated.

I’m assuming the difference in numbers is as a result of authorised pairings rather than abstentions.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m struggling to find out for sure, but if so that is significant.  It would show that even with DUP support the government can be defeated.

I’m assuming the difference in numbers is as a result of authorised pairings rather than abstentions.

They voted with the Government in both votes, it was Tories voting against what won it. For Labour to win a big vote Corbyn would have to be offering Tory remainers something decent.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They voted with the Government in both votes, it was Tories voting against what won it. For Labour to win a big vote Corbyn would have to be offering Tory remainers something decent.

It might not be Corbyn offering anything, I can see a situation where Parliament asserts itself and cuts the feet from both Corbyn and May by taking control of the process.

Mind you if there is any indication of that happening I see Corbyn falling into line; in some respects he has more to lose than May.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, Londonwell said:
Direct democracy is a key point of Swiss politics. They do have referenda on a much more regular basis than we do. 

Agree, but the Irish have a few per yr too. Any change to their referendum must be ratified by the people.

I think you meant change to their "Constitution" ? Sorry to be pedantic!