Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

There were 16.8 million people, in the UK, who voted Remain and in England and Wales they are denied a voice.

Sure, the Liberal Democrats, Greens and Plaid Cymru are in favour of a second referendum but are any likely to win a General Election.

Yes, Leave won the vote by 600,000 votes - less than 1% of the population.

If Corbyn still wants to go ahead with Brexit then the obvious question is this:
Why vote Labour if you are a Remain voter who seriously thinks Brexit will be a disaster for the UK that will obliterate everything else on Labour's agenda?

I think a lot of people, including traditional Tory voters, voted for Labour in 2017 thinking it might be the best way to thwart Brexit.
IMO, if Corbyn continues to back Brexit, a lot of Remain voters will not even bother to vote.
Brexit is the number one issue and everything else on Corbyn's agenda is a distant second.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
Just now, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
We could meet half way. The Scottish Nationalists agree not to ask for a kndyref 2 for a minimum of 20 years.

Merry Christmas you servile craven tart.... Don't forget to doff your cap on way out.

Remember to curtsy to wee Nic's photo on your wall.

Labour may well lose some seats in their Brexit strongholds of the North of England for example, but reckon they would pick up a higher number of people now veering to remain if they backed an unequivocal withdrawal of A50. Yes it would be a calculated gamble but what have they got to lose? Being in same hopeless position as now?

Genuine question. Is there any evidence that supports this?

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

There were 16.8 million people, in the UK, who voted Remain and in England and Wales they are denied a voice.

Sure, the Liberal Democrats, Greens and Plaid Cymru are in favour of a second referendum but are any likely to win a General Election.

Yes, Leave won the vote by 600,000 votes - less than 1% of the population.

If Corbyn still wants to go ahead with Brexit then the obvious question is this:
Why vote Labour if you are a Remain voter who seriously thinks Brexit will be a disaster for the UK that will obliterate everything else on Labour's agenda?

I think a lot of people, including traditional Tory voters, voted for Labour in 2017 thinking it might be the best way to thwart Brexit.
IMO, if Corbyn continues to back Brexit, a lot of Remain voters will not even bother to vote.
Brexit is the number one issue and everything else on Corbyn's agenda is a distant second.

Leave 17,410,742 votes - Remain 16,141,241 votes = 1,269,501 majority for Leave.

Where do you get the 600,000 figure from?

32 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Leave 17,410,742 votes - Remain 16,141,241 votes = 1,269,501 majority for Leave.

Where do you get the 600,000 figure from?

No idea, but the leavers represented 36% of the electorate. If potential voters are finally taking in the potential cost/benefit ratios of leave versus remain the importance of turning up to vote could change the numbers in a second referendum.

Genuine question. Is there any evidence that supports this?

Genuine answer, no not that I’m aware of, just a feeling.
Work takes me down south at least a couple of times a month. Talking to customers and suppliers or just having a chat in the pub, I seem to hear a recurring opinion that we’re going in the wrong direction. Also that given Parliament’s inability to resolve the problems associated with leaving and their consequences, perhaps we should have a serious rethink. Yes it would be a risk for Labour to change position, but I don’t think that towing the line will do them any favours if the sh*t hits the fan before the next GE.

11 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Genuine answer, no not that I’m aware of, just a feeling.
Work takes me down south at least a couple of times a month. Talking to customers and suppliers or just having a chat in the pub, I seem to hear a recurring opinion that we’re going in the wrong direction. Also that given Parliament’s inability to resolve the problems associated with leaving and their consequences, perhaps we should have a serious rethink. Yes it would be a risk for Labour to change position, but I don’t think that towing the line will do them any favours if the sh*t hits the fan before the next GE.

Living down south unfortunately I don't get the same sort of response. It seems to be more of a "f*ck the EU, we won the war, let's leave and pay nothing" nonsense that prevails. Worrying.... 

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Problem with devo max is it doesn't get us out of another Iraq

Seeing as our "Best in the World" army got humiliated in Basra and Helmund, probably for being asked to do far too much with far too little, and with America going isolationist apart from taking on China, and the disaster that was Libya, I doubt any Government is going to take on any major "boots on the ground" adventures soon.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

OK. Yemeni blockade then. I can see the appeal of federalism but when one country has amoral foreign policy, I can't get on board with it. I want to be able to vote out any Scottish c**t that tries that.

A step by step mode might be more effective though. It's a realistic chance that the SNP could hold the balance of power in future elections and demand more devolution, to the point where independence would seem more of a slight realignment to the wary than a revolution.