Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

The SNP could try and force a no confidence vote but given Anna Soubry publicly stated her support for one while simultaneously claiming she’d back May it would be fairly obvious that it was a ploy to force another referendum. Barring a WWE style shocking face turn, the rebel Tories aren’t going to join the opposition until the Brexit deal goes to a vote.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There must be a growing number of Corbyn supporters who are growing restless at his ineptitude.  

Maybe they would be more vocal of it didn’t mean appearing to side with Tony Warcriminal Blair.

Agree with this, but have to add I find myself more and more agreeing with every word Blair has to say on the subject.

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Agree with this, but have to add I find myself more and more agreeing with every word Blair has to say on the subject.

I don't disagree, but having such a discredited politician trying to lecture people doesn't help the cause IMO.  Particularly when the folk who need to be convinced are those who dislike him most - and with good reason.

His motivation is also questionable.  He has proven himself to be a self-serving, money grubbing individual and his intervention is purely for personal promotion and gain.

54 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

How many different predictions have you made?

He's been fairly consistent with that one of late. (Without re-reading this thread from the start - only Theresa May is that big a masochist - I can't confirm if it's always been his stance.)

I also postulated at one stage that we wouldn't leave.

The EU have stated it's this deal or no deal. They must be gullible and/or swallowed Project Fear, too.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Robert Peston's take.

Here is the measure of Theresa May’s failure last night - according to an observer of her request to EU leaders for “assurances” that UK membership of the EU backstop would be finite and of short duration.

They were ready to help. They assumed a process of officials agreeing a text over coming week would start today, to give her the necessary words that would persuade Tory and DUP critics of her deal to ultimately support it.

But it was during the course of questioning her that they concluded such a process - such an extension of talks - would be a total waste of time.

Why?

Well according to one observer of the conversation between May and the EU27 leaders, “she could not say what would actually deliver a majority in parliament for her”.

Why on earth could and should they start talks in the absence of knowing what May actually wants?

The other things she could not give them comfort on were

1. could Northern Ireland’s DUP MPs, who keep her in power, ever be brought round?

2. when would it be best for the EU to actually provide the assurances she wants?

3. And in the words of one EU leader, wouldn’t it have been better for the PM to build a majority for some version of the Brexit deal BEFORE asking for their help?

This impasse, this debacle, means the PM faces a deeply painful and humiliating choice.

She either now has to admit failure to parliament and ask MPs what kind of Brexit or even no-Brexit they want.

This would be to surrender all pretence that she is in charge of the process and somehow restyle herself as head of a government of national unity.

And with the clocking running down till Brexit day on 29 March, she probably does not have the luxury of waiting till after Christmas to make this pivot of all pivots.

Or she will have to continue with her conceit that the alternative to her Brexit is ONLY a no-deal Brexit and somehow make the best of that - however much she fears that would make millions of people poorer.

The stakes could not be higher - for her and us.

He's been fairly consistent with that one of late. (Without re-reading this thread from the start - only Theresa May is that big a masochist - I can't confirm if it's always been his stance.)
I also postulated at one stage that we wouldn't leave.
The EU have stated it's this deal or no deal. They must be gullible and/or swallowed Project Fear, too.
Cheers , another poster I wind up but have a lot of time for you... Merry Christmas old chap [emoji319]

5 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Some c**t on Sky news just compared no deal Brexit preparations to putting together the Falklands taskforce. It's just so fucking depressing.

If  we do finish up with a peoples vote, they'll need to put a Falklands style taskforce into operation to quell the rioting  hardcore brexiteers - and that would just be in Burnley FFS.