Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46560807

So no deal or no Brexit. (Unless by some miracle the vote passes in parliament.)

My guess is we are heading for an election to let the people decide,. I assume the noises being made about the tory right forming a new party and the ex-kippers doing the same are linked

10 hours ago, beefybake said:

My understanding of what you call ".. the Switzerland model... " is that Switzerland does not have an immigration problem, because they don't let anyone in.  

Switzerland is not a member of the EU, so they can get away with it. 

Who, other than an idiot, wants to be like Switzerland..., the only useful thing they've done in 1000 years is the invention of the cuckoo clock.

The population has gone from 7m in 1998 to 8.5m in 2018 by not letting anyone in. Makes sense. Last census said that just over 20% of the population is non Swiss. The UK, last I read, was around 14%.

Not a member of the EU but in order to get single market access they have to allow freedom of movement and have pretty much adopted most EU regulations in doing so.

As for the comments about the Swiss being boring, whoever said that hasn’t met many Swiss. They don’t binge drink, tan lines and act like arseholes of a weekend, but they have a tremendously dark and dry sense of humour, and don’t suffer fools gladly.

May has absolutely no reason to delay putting her deal to Parliament, but she will.

If the DUP were genuine (yes I know) they could force the vote.

If May thinks that by d laying things it strengthens her position it shows how little she knows, there are people on her own side growing very weary of her antics.

Two and a half years since the referendum, just over three months to the leave date and she has failed miserably.  She will go down in history as the most inept PM of modern times.

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

FB_IMG_1544740190272.jpg

It wasn't Rees-Mogg but some Tory arsehole was on GMB yesterday, crying that despite a vote of confidence, that May should leave anyway and the vote pretty much disregarded. 

On that basis, Susannah Reid asked then if that's the case, surely a case can also be made for a second referendum given that so much has changed in the last two years. Without so much as a hint of irony, his response was, 'Absolutely not, that was the will of the people and should be respected...you cannot just disregard a democratic vote because you disagree with the result' 

Absolutely. Fucking. Shameless. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Can someone clarify the 'backstop'?

Is the EU saying Northern Ireland can have no hard border with the ROI but has to stay in customs union etc with the EU?

Northern Ireland can leave the customs union along with rest of the UK but there would then be a hard border with Ireland?

Most people in Northern Ireland don't want a hard border and they don't want a border in the Irish Sea (e.g. Stranraer etc)?

10 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

With who?

The EU, her government or Parliament?

I meant through Parliament (she's already got her deal agreed by EU iirc).  But actually, I've swung away again, not a feckin' chance.  

<<inserts popcorn eating gif>>

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

...and the Swiss Army Knife.  I’d have been stranded a few times had I not been able to remove a stone from my horse’s hooves with that little beauty.

...whilst filing your nails, opening a tin of beans and bottle of wine.  Who hasn't had a day like that?

The backstop is that the whole of the UK stays in some sort of customs union with EU until the border issue in Ireland is resolved to the satisfaction of the EU and especially the Republic of Ireland.

The Brexiteers are furious.  They know a hard border would be required if there are different customs regimes but their approach is to pretend it isn't, force the EU to put one up and then blame the hard border on the EU.

The EU are having none of it.

It's getting to almost the point of ridicolous that some Brexiteers are still screaming for things they've been told they can't have no matter how much they shout and stamp- unless they class the GFA are something not worth keeping, I guess. 

2 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46560807

So no deal or no Brexit. (Unless by some miracle the vote passes in parliament.)

My guess is we are heading for an election to let the people decide,. I assume the noises being made about the tory right forming a new party and the ex-kippers doing the same are linked

EU: "This deal's as good as you'll get, we won't renegotiate it"

Tory Party: "We don't like it, go and renegotiate it"

Theresa May: "Ok"

EU: "This deal's as good as you'll get, we won't renegotiate it"

*Repeat*

19 minutes ago, Antlion said:

One of May’s responses to one of the EU27’s request for clarity on what the UK wants was “Brexit means Brexit”. Beyond parody at this stage.

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1073383405704937472

Hey that's easy.   "Brexit means Brexit" means "Brexit means Brexit"

13 hours ago, beefybake said:

My understanding of what you call ".. the Switzerland model... " is that Switzerland does not have an immigration problem, because they don't let anyone in.  

Switzerland is not a member of the EU, so they can get away with it. 

Who, other than an idiot, wants to be like Switzerland..., the only useful thing they've done in 1000 years is the invention of the cuckoo clock.

I’m sure the cuckoo clock was invented in Germany, in the Black Forest region.  

You can understand why the EU 27 leaders haven't given her any backing if she's gone in and just used the soundbites she's been using in the press here as responses to their questions. What an utter clusterfuck.

Let's not forget that there is a sizeable proportion of Scots who are so servile and craven that this is perfectly acceptable to them to remain part of the Union.

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

Journalists widely agree day one of the EU summit has effectively been Salzburg 2.0.  May couldn’t even tell the EU leaders what she wanted from them. Sounds like another disaster brewing. 

I was listening to BBC R4 this morning. They interviewed Lidington... , the May ally. 

About half way in, I realised that what I was hearing wasn't actually an argument for or against anything.

What popped into my mind was that it was ...   'articulate babble'.

The political equivalent of headless chicken mode.