Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Think he's got no chance in the racist outposts shires, but I put a drunken £50 bet last night on May to get her deal through in 2018 at 10/1, so I'm not the man to judge.

I'm salty cause my mate got May winning the confidence vote at EVENS. It was 1/4 by midday. Off The Fence agree with you on the shires not voting in Javid and that's where he could fall down but I imagine the parliamentary party would love him in charge. Ticks all the boxes to troll the liberal press and he's apparently very popular among MPs.

3 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

If it wasn't so incredibly far-fetched, someone could claim that this was the plan from the day after the referendum, from duplicitous politicians.

i.e. Appear to try to give the people what they 'democratically' voted for (almost) but at the end fail to do so and stay IN (because it was always the sensible thing to do).

BTW I am NOT the 'someone',  but it's all so surreal that loony conspiracists can have a field day.

You could accuse Labour (correctly) of doing this specifically against the Tories attempt at Brexit.

3 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

Google 'German Revolutions'.  Unsurprisingly, I was ignorant of them.  

Do you mean the 1848 revolutions or the 1918 Spartakists one? Or something else?

55 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't get why SNP etc. are tilting at windmills on this.

Over and over again, something happens which gets a big headline. Yes folk carp about 'no no! read the detail!'.

When are they going to realise the headline is the story and most folk are not going to read the nuance. So much time and energy is wasted on the fallout from this stuff. Take the UK government blocking the Scottish government from paying the £65 settled status fee for EU public servants. Why didn't they just go 'f**k off, we're paying it, take us to court'? That'd get the headline and the positive press.

It's weird since they're adept at exploiting the arcane rituals and inscrutable politicking of Westminster to have pops at Labour and the Tories for on the surface nonsense.

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

What is "enough to get the deal through", though?  From what I can see, there are some Tories aren't going to vote for anything short of absolutely everything they want, which is a heck of a lot more than anything May's likely to come back with, surely?

They would need to give the UK a unilateral right to leave the backstop.

Since a UK government that wanted to leave the backstop would just break the treaty and do it anyway they aren't losing much.

If it wasn't so incredibly far-fetched, someone could claim that this was the plan from the day after the referendum, from duplicitous politicians.

in the course of this saga has a claim being ”incredibly far-fetched” has seldom been a problem for anyone making it.

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

They’d probably fancy their chances with Diane Abbot’s sloppy second lentil munching friend.

I doubt it.

There is already a populist government in Italy. A left wing government that opposes ECB rules in Portugal. Authoritarians in Poland and Hungary. Romania is in crisis. There are weekly riots in France and Melenchon leads the polls. The ECB has just announced they won't be unwinding QE and rates are staying at 0%.

Macron and Merkel want a UK government that starts nationalising things like they want a hole in the head.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sorry.... I thought you were talking about the "meaningful vote" that May chickened out of on Tuesday. I believe the deadline for that is Jan 21.

It was before the Withdrawal Bill was finished. Now the legal last date is March 28th although May is still promising Jan 21st.

7 minutes ago, new kyd in town said:

Next moves from EU will be tantamount to economic warfare. Nice partners to have eh.

Pretty much the same tactics were actually used on Scotland from 1703-1707. Nice partner to have, eh?

1 minute ago, new kyd in town said:

I can feel your pain. lovely. However, your argument is baseless by today's laws and standards. Mercantilism was the norm then. Not nice but that was then, this is now. 

I think the point is that realpolitik has always been with us, and always will be, maybe it was once called mercantilism, then imperialism but it's all the same.  The EU, in order to protect itself and it's constituent partners may need to go so far as to screw the UK because the UK is trying to screw the EU through a negotiated settlement that would undercut the EU's principle for being. If anything it demonstrates that they are in fact very fucking good to their partners. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

I think the point is that realpolitik has always been with us, and always will be, maybe it was once called mercantilism, then imperialism but it's all the same.  The EU, in order to protect itself and it's constituent partners may need to go so far as to screw the UK because the UK is trying to screw the EU through a negotiated settlement that would undercut the EU's principle for being. If anything it demonstrates that they are in fact very fucking good to their partners. 

To launch a trade war you need to be able to compensate the sections of your domestic economy that are hurt by it. As an example Trump has given an extra $5 billion dollars to American agriculture on top of all the other free money they get. The EU can't do that and the single market isn't designed to allow it.