Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Little chance of a hard Brexit and no chance of No Deal now, if May’s re-presents her deal with a solid assurance on the Back Stop and it’s still voted down, then surely a 2nd Vote is the only remaining option. The Tory Brexiteer Rebels might even yet, have done us all a favour, a retraction of A50 and they would be largely responsible. That would be some achievement.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

Little chance of a hard Brexit and no chance of No Deal now, if May’s re-presents her deal with a solid assurance on the Back Stop and it’s still voted down, then surely a 2nd Vote is the only remaining option. 

Isn't this the 'golden ticket'?

Edit to add more:  This is the outcome I would like.  How likely it is?  No idea.

Edited by The_Kincardine

6 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

What he means is 17 million voting for Brexit (from  an electorate of 46 million)  is overwhelming. 

It is, to find out we have 17 million racists in the UK is overwhelming, it is disturbing.

38% of Scottish voters is below half but still overwhelming.  

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Think he's got no chance in the racist outposts shires, but I put a drunken £50 bet last night on May to get her deal through in 2018 at 10/1, so I'm not the man to judge.

She's got until January 21st to get that deal through.

Next time you're drunk can you send me some money?

Isn't this the 'golden ticket'?
Edit to add more:  This is the outcome I would like.  How likely it is?  No idea.

I guess we’re back to the issue of whether she can gain agreement on a temporary backstop in Norn Iron. If she can manage that, she can then bin this tired mantra of ‘uniting the country and uniting parliament’. People still won’t be happy but at the point of no return, if it’s still not sufficient to pass through the commons, the move to a second public vote is justified.

7 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Little chance of a hard Brexit and no chance of No Deal now, if May’s re-presents her deal with a solid assurance on the Back Stop and it’s still voted down, then surely a 2nd Vote is the only remaining option. The Tory Brexiteer Rebels might even yet, have done us all a favour, a retraction of A50 and they would be largely responsible. That would be some achievement.

If it wasn't so incredibly far-fetched, someone could claim that this was the plan from the day after the referendum, from duplicitous politicians.

i.e. Appear to try to give the people what they 'democratically' voted for (almost) but at the end fail to do so and stay IN (because it was always the sensible thing to do).

BTW I am NOT the 'someone',  but it's all so surreal that loony conspiracists can have a field day.

Edited by cyderspaceman
clarity

Seeing Cameron’s intervention the other day reminded me about how unaccountable politicians are.

If May plays chicken with the backstop and fucks the whole thing up she can simply walk away with a big pension and the pick of boardroom appointments.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

She's got until January 21st to get that deal through.

Next time you're drunk can you send me some money?

Legally it's 28th of March. My thinking was is what she needs is fairly simple, not a massive renegotiation of the whole treaty but a guarantee of no hard border from the British side in exchange for a way for Britain to end the back stop unilaterally. Or go back to the previous formula of being able to extend the transition phase year by year until a final settlement is reached, which would remove the need for a backstop if both sides agreed to guarantee no hard border in whatever shape of final settlement is reached. I think there could be a vote next week. 

Legally it's 28th of March. My thinking was is what she needs is fairly simple, not a massive renegotiation of the whole treaty but a guarantee of no hard border from the British side in exchange for a way for Britain to end the back stop unilaterally. Or go back to the previous formula of being able to extend the transition phase year by year until a final settlement is reached, which would remove the need for a backstop if both sides agreed to guarantee no hard border in whatever shape of final settlement is reached. I think there could be a vote next week. 

This. Extending the transition stage on a rolling 12 month agreement would put a timeline on a temporary backstop and satisfy both sides, until a final trade deal is reached upon, no?

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you see an indefinite (because that is what it is) extension of the transition period being anymore palatable than the backstop?  I certainly don’t.

Does anyone think there will be another EU referendum?

Remain in the EU percentage votes in Scotland in the 2016 referendum:

City of Edinburgh
74.40%
East Renfrewshire 74.30%
East Dunbartonshire 71.40%
Stirling 67.70%
Glasgow City 66.60%
Renfrewshire 64.80%
East Lothian 64.60%
Inverclyde 63.80%
Orkney 63.20%
South Lanarkshire 63.10%
Midlothian 62.10%
West Dunbartonshire 62.00%
North Lanarkshire 61.70%
Aberdeen City 61.10%
Perth and Kinross 61.10%
Argyll and Bute 60.60%
Dundee City 59.80%
South Ayrshire 59.00%
Fife 58.60%
East Ayrshire 58.60%
Scottish Borders 58.50%
West Lothian 58.30%
Clackmannanshire 57.80%
North Ayrshire 56.90%
Falkirk 56.80%
Shetland 56.50%
Highland 56.00%
Angus 55.30%
Na h-Eileanan Siar (Western Isles) 55.20%
Aberdeenshire 55.00%
Dumfries and Galloway 53.10%
Moray 50.10%
Edited by FlyerTon

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Do you see an indefinite (because that is what it is) extension of the transition period being anymore palatable than the backstop?  I certainly don’t.

We'd stay in the single market for as long as negotiations last or we apply to rejoin, so yes, I'd be happy with that.

Just now, welshbairn said:

We'd stay in the single market for as long as negotiations last or we apply to rejoin, so yes, I'd be happy with that.

Fair enough but it’s not the question I was asking.

We would continue to pay the EU*, be subject to EU laws, have freedom of movement, and be subject to the common fisheries policy.  All without a seat at the decision making table.

* as I understand it our ‘rebate’ will also end after the initial 21 months transition period.

41 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

If it wasn't so incredibly far-fetched, someone could claim that this was the plan from the day after the referendum, from duplicitous politicians.

i.e. Try to give the people what they 'democratically' voted for (almost) but at the end fail to do so and stay IN (because it was always the sensible thing to do).

BTW I am NOT the 'someone',  but it's all so surreal that loony conspiracists can have a field day.

Yeah, that's it.  Except they weren't being duplicitous - they were just bored! :)