Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
8 hours ago, Detournement said:
You are an idiot.
Imagine someone chapped the door of a impoverished family with unemployed parents and said actualy you deserve to be hungry and cold this winter because of the policies of Blair, Brown, Cameron and May. That's how stupid your post is.

Greece's fiscal deficit was unsustainable - claiming otherwise shows what a fucking economic illiterate you really are.

It may have been practically unsustainable but that doesn't justify punishment austerity policies that killed tens of thousands of people, reduced millions to misery and caused a mass emigration of it's young people. There has been an explosion of suicides, mental health issues and drug addiction. This was all done to protect the balance sheets of French and German banks.

Anyone who thinks the treatment of the Greek people is anything less than a crime doesn't have a compassionate bone in their body.

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
I have said on here many times that I am adamant that there will not be a No Deal Brexit; there is no desire for it in Parliament.
May has said no second referendum but she has said other things and been forced to change her position.
The funny (?) thing about a leadership challenge is that there will be no unanimity.  The Brexiteers won’t want a Remainer and the ‘sensible’ Tories won’t want a rabid No Dealer.
A ‘moderate’ Brexiteer will get no more concessions from Brussels than May has.

A new leader will just be like moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.

And yet it’s looking like a real possibility.

On the subject of power and who has how much...
5c10181752a92_scotlandirelandpowerbrexit.thumb.jpg.296a2780e0c33331855799c1c57c7499.jpg

Did Theresa May actually quote that? “There will be no place for Scotland at the Brexit talks” or did she say we will negotiating on behalf of the U.K. as a whole. There’s a bit of a difference no?

58 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It may have been practically unsustainable but that doesn't justify punishment austerity policies that killed tens of thousands of people, reduced millions to misery and caused a mass emigration of it's young people. There has been an explosion of suicides, mental health issues and drug addiction. This was all done to protect the balance sheets of French and German banks.

Anyone who thinks the treatment of the Greek people is anything less than a crime doesn't have a compassionate bone in their body.

First part sounds really familiar. 

God knows why anyone would wish to remain tied to a union like that eh. 

BBC Laura K reporting... Hearing that SirGraham Brady has asked to see the PM after #pmqs tmrw, and multiple sources, including senior tories and a cabinet minister, telling us tonight they believe the threshold of 48 letters has been reached - v unlikely to be any confirmation until tomorrow

7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

First part sounds really familiar. 

God knows why anyone would wish to remain tied to a union like that eh. 

At the risk of sparking a few tantrums the Growth Commission's plan involves at least another decade of austerity.

And while I agree that UK austerity was needless, politically motivated and cruel the hardships inflicted on Greeks have been of a different magnitude.

11 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Looks like a no confidence vote incoming....can she win it? 

I think she would, there's no time for a 6 week minimum campaign for a new leader while all the EU shit is going on, and there's no contender that could unite the party. Maximum 80 votes against her imo, making her safe.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Paddy Power have her 4/5 to win a VONC, evens to lose.

My guess (and my record with these guesses is pretty honking) is a win, but not by enough to carry on.

They have 10/1 on the Withdrawal Bill getting voted in in 2018. Bit tempted, as I think the DUP would relent if May comes back with a sweetie or 2 for them, and all it would do is kick the drama into the grass for a couple of years, or four, so the Brexiteers and Remainers would just have to play a waiting game. Labour doesn't have a plan, and there isn't a simple majority for any other option. Doubt the house is in the mood to approve it in 2018 after this week though, so will probably leave it alone.

They have 10/1 on the Withdrawal Bill getting voted in in 2018. Bit tempted, as I think the DUP would relent if May comes back with a sweetie or 2 for them, and all it would do is kick the drama into the grass for a couple of years, or four, so the Brexiteers and Remainers would just have to play a waiting game. Labour doesn't have a plan, and there isn't a simple majority for any other option. Doubt the house is in the mood to approve it in 2018 after this week though, so will probably leave it alone.
Think your problem there is that they have until 21st January to vote on the Bill. I'd say the final vote will creep into 2019...

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The US sub-prime market was a house of cards built on unfettered greed and a total lack of regulation.

I think that regulations that were subsequently introduced to minimise the chance of it happening again have been scrapped by Trump.

It was a house built on poor foundations guaranteed to fail due to government intervention. Had the sub prime mortgages not formed the basis of the various mortgage equity investment portfolios then the crash wouldn t have happened. 

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think your problem there is that they have until 21st January to vote on the Bill. I'd say the final vote will creep into 2019...

You're probably right, but May will know in a week if she can get a deal. Drawing it out might panic the Remainers but it would encourage the hard Brexiteers. 

More from the bookies... in the market for whether or not there will be a second referendum, 'Yes' has just taken oven as favourite in a couple of bookies. It was generally 3/1 a few days ago.

Paddy Power (again) - Yes = 8/11, No = evens.