Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I'm in Thailand for another week the rate is the shitiest I've ever seen, Actually dearer than home.

Haven't been following the dollar and other currencies, the rate against the Euro is probably cushioned by the fact that the uncertainty is bad for the Euro as well as the pound.

Just been listening to Sir Jeffrey Donaldson tying himself in knots (or maybe getting tied in knots by Stephen Nolan) on the Nolan Show. Basically he was asked two questions - (1) What did you think would happen to the Irish border when you were campaigning for a "Leave" vote during the referendum? (2) What do you propose for the "Backstop" now? 

Answers (I paraphrase slightly) - (1) We didn't think about it. (2) We don't know.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

European Court has ruled that UK can stop Brexit without EU consent.

According to the Guardian it can be kicked upstairs..................... 

The emergency judgment came the day before the critical Commons vote on Theresa May’s Brexit deal and will be reviewed urgently by Scotland’s civil court in Edinburgh. That process will kickstart what is expected to be a last-ditch legal battle by the UK government, which is likely to end in the supreme court.

Best option would be for us to do a Dallas and pretend the last two years have all been a dream! :lol:

2 minutes ago, btb said:

According to the Guardian it can be kicked upstairs..................... 

Best option would be for us to do a Dallas and pretend the last two years have all been a dream! :lol:

Or assassinate the PM...

42 minutes ago, doulikefish said:
49 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:
I'm in Thailand for another week the rate is the shitiest I've ever seen, Actually dearer than home.

Just you tell johnny foreigner to give you the rate you want...its the brexit way

I thought that johnny foreigner was still at home with his lifetime supply of vagisan. It's the scotslavs way to rub their vulva.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

If this all ends with the UK saying 'actually guys, we've decided this wasn't a brilliant idea after all, let's call it off', then it could be the most hilariously embarrassing political event in history.

Why?  People are entitled to change their mind.  It'd actually be a good example of an educated electorate.  What would be far more embarrassing would be for us to carry on headlong into potential disaster on the grounds that we voted on something two years ago so tough cookies.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Why?  People are entitled to change their mind.  It'd actually be a good example of an educated electorate.  What would be far more embarrassing would be for us to carry on headlong into potential disaster on the grounds that we voted on something two years ago so tough cookies.

Maybe I should have been clearer.

I don't mean changing our mind alone would be embarrassing, and if it's the right thing to do we should obviously do it.

I more meant the entire thing from the moment a referendum was called, 2 years of people running around with their hair on fire to eventually deciding that maybe this is all a bit stupid would be hilarious.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If this all ends with the UK saying 'actually guys, we've decided this wasn't a brilliant idea after all, let's call it off', then it could be the most hilariously embarrassing political event in history.

"Actually guys, we need to be honest here.  For decades, we have used the EU as a scapegoat for our own shortcomings and pretended that every failed policy was actually their fault.  We moaned and groaned and talked about how much better life would be if we were out.  We pressured David Cameron into holding a referendum, safe in the knowledge that only a total idiot would actually agree to it.  Big mistake.  Anyway, once that happened, we had to pretend we were all for it, even if we had never really thought it through.  Anyway, what can we say?  17.4 million of you actually thought it was a good idea.  Argh.  So we had to play along.  Well here is the long and the short of it.  Bad idea, bad idea, really seriously bad idea. Sorry.  Not going to happen.  Let's move on."

Edited by Fullerene

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Maybe I should have been clearer.

I don't mean changing our mind alone would be embarrassing, and if it's the right thing to do we should obviously do it.

I more meant the entire thing from the moment a referendum was called, 2 years of people running around with their hair on fire to eventually deciding that maybe this is all a bit stupid would be hilarious.

The behaviour of the Brexiteers at the time of the referendum, and indeed of Cameron, will live long in the memory for their gall, incompetence and negligence.  I absolutely agree with that.  As will the resignations of those who campaigned to leave and who left everyone else to deal with the fallout.  Shame, rather than embarrassment, would be the noun I would use.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Bloomberg saying the vote's off.

Sooo what happens now.

I thought May or any other leader would be in a better position to negotiate, once any vote had been lost.

Clearly trying another tactic now, but what. I can't see the EU budging much, on any issue of great importance. 

Possible that she had some constructive conversations with the EU leaders she was on the blower to over the weekend, although doubtful, she might think she has something she can work with, hence delaying the vote to get an amendment on the wording of the exit agreement. 

6 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Sooo what happens now.

I thought May or any other leader would be in a better position to negotiate, once any vote had been lost.

Clearly trying another tactic now, but what. I can't see the EU budging much, on any issue of great importance. 

The only way of fixing the Backstop problem would be doing a deal with Dublin, then the EU would likely go along with it. Don't see what May has to bargain with though, other than that a hard Brexit would be nearly as bad for Eire as it would for us.