Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, sophia said:

I think you've allowed yourself to be diverted from the very worrying message that Sir John has delivered here

Would you join me in a proselytising process to guide the ill informed?

You misunderstand me.  I have no issue with The EU's open borders policy.  I happily live in a town with a very mixed and delightful community.

My only issue is with native  Scots...

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You misunderstand me.  I have no issue with The EU's open borders policy.  I happily live in a town with a very mixed and delightful community.

My only issue is with native  Scots...

Not if you're in it.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

What a silly word spoonerism , eh Kinky? It has nothing to do with spoons. Wish folk would stop using it.

You are right, it is nothing to do with spoons.

It is to do with an Oxford Don called William Spooner, who was a bit "dyslexic" in the way he spoke.

He was frequently teased by his students "you are just trying to get me to say one of those things again."

I like the story in the Bill Bryson book "Mother Tongue", where he wrote a letter to a fellow don, saying

"We need to have a meeting to discuss Student X who is being very disruptive.  P.S. Matter resolved, meeting no longer required."

Edited by Fullerene

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sending a cruiser up the River Moskva and tossing a couple of shells at the GRU headquarters might settle the Russkies for a bit. Are you game? Quiet weekend for me, Daphne's out hunting badgers again.

No, no.  They've got nukes.  I'm told they can be really nasty.

Meanwhile back on topic.....

Amber Rudd now suggesting Norway + could become Plan B in the likely event of May's deal being comprehensively rejected.

Has she discussed this with Norway?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/07/norwegian-politicians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan

Amber Rudd now suggesting Norway + could become Plan B in the likely event of May's deal being comprehensively rejected.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/07/norwegian-politicians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan
What does the plus mean? No freedom of movement?

6 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
23 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Dinnae ken.

I don't quite get the argument about Norway being impacted by a Norway + deal... is it not the type of deal we'd be after rather than actually joining the EEFTA? I'm a bit ignorant on this but I don't see how the UK having a "Norway style" deal automatically means we'd be running roughshod over Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein?

7 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I don't quite get the argument about Norway being impacted by a Norway + deal... is it not the type of deal we'd be after rather than actually joining the EEFTA? I'm a bit ignorant on this but I don't see how the UK having a "Norway style" deal automatically means we'd be running roughshod over Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein?

From what I’ve read, which I admit I say limited, any changes to the rules affecting the existing signatories have to be agree don’t unanimously and the Norwegians feel the U.K. would be a divisive and disruptive influence.

Looking at the shenanigans during the Brexit campaign and subsequent to the vote it’s hard to disagree.  If the U.K. agreed to Norway+ there would be people in the U.K. opposing it from day 1. 

I think it’s very arrogant of politicians to think that after 30 months of wasted talks we can suddenly decide we want another option and expect all those affected to simply nod their heads in agreement.

27 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm a bit ignorant on this too, but....

my immediate reaction was that Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein seem reasonably happy with their arrangements,

whereas the arrival of England, sorry, Britain on the scene with all it's troublemaking baggage...

is about as welcome as a large Alsation crapping on the living room carpet. 

Edited by beefybake

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Once you leave (the UK), you can't get back in/ once you're in you can't leave...