Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's less money involved and so less corruption.

I take your point though, as it's very naive to think that our politicians are somehow a better class of people.

Sure the reason SLAB are so useless is that anyone with ambition/greed targeted Westminster for their careers. SNP probably have far better MSP's because they have more meaning in Holyrood.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I take your point though, as it's very naive to think that our politicians are somehow a better class of people.

It's so obvious that the hegemony that exists at Westminster could not exist in a smaller, clean slate Edinburgh environment.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Given time Holyrood will go the same way as Westminster. All parliaments do.

The laziest, stupidest thinking imaginable. Is this the best that cheerleaders of dependence can do?  “The system is shite, but we might be shite too, so let’s suffer under it anyway”.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

20th Century Westminster has been massively influenced by Scots.  "A better class of people"?  Really?

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You're either naive or deluded.  Use Glasgow City Council as your litmus test.

Neither.

The labour councillors existed in the context of a British construct.

It's no coincidence that the transparency of our evolving democracy has seen them gone.

1 minute ago, sophia said:

Neither.

The labour councillors existed in the context of a British construct.

It's no coincidence that the transparency of our evolving democracy has seen them gone.

Deary me.  Their Snipper replacements are as equally venal and vacuous. 

It's so obvious that the hegemony that exists at Westminster could not exist in a smaller, clean slate Edinburgh environment.

It's really not obvious at all.

Power corrupts. Independence would give Holyrood substantially more power, and I'm not in any way convinced it wouldn't eventually sink to the cesspit levels so currently evident at Westminster.

18 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Everyone hates The Rangers

You are absolutely right, of course.  This is the only unifying, and probably, defining message of New Scotland..

I watched us hand Albania a footballing lesson last night.  Not often you see Scotland boss a team away from home.  An enjoyable watch and a rare one from someone who started supporting Scotland in the mid 60s.

What did you see on the match thread?  A considerable number of empty-headed yessers trying to make puerile jokes about Rangers. 

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's really not obvious at all.

Power corrupts. Independence would give Holyrood substantially more power, and I'm not in any way convinced it wouldn't eventually sink to the cesspit levels so currently evident at Westminster.

It’s a hoary old cliche to claim that power corrupts. It can, but it doesn’t necessarily. Is every boss in a management position corrupt? Is every police officer corrupt? How about every leader of every political party; has every single one been corrupted? It’s just a lazy bromide.

The fact is that certain powerful institutions can be enabled to allow corruption, depending on the soundness of monitoring processes, the ability of an engaged populace to question authority via open and accountable means, and the willingness of the people in charge to play by the rules. Similarly, strong checks and balances, impartial watchdogs, and a willingness of electors and appointers to hold incuments to account can help guard against corruption. But that doesn’t make for a catchy aphorism.

19 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You are absolutely right, of course.  This is the only unifying, and probably, defining message of New Scotland..

I watched us hand Albania a footballing lesson last night.  Not often you see Scotland boss a team away from home.  An enjoyable watch and a rare one from someone who started supporting Scotland in the mid 60s.

What did you see on the match thread?  A considerable number of empty-headed yessers trying to make puerile jokes about Rangers. 

It's telling that you appear to be more interested in looking at a forum and looking for anti-Rangers bias rather than watching & enjoying an excellent Scotland performance.

I wasn't looking at the match thread - I watched the game.

Edited to add: See you at Hampden on Tuesday?

Edited by lichtgilphead