Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

46 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I can see May surviving all this tbh

She may well survive the inevitable leadership challenge, but she's still not getting this deal through the houses of parliament.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What do you reckon would be worse for the United Kingdom? Brexit and three types of vegetables, or no Brexit and gammon revolt?

Bring on the thick bacon slices. I'll be hiding under my duvet.

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What do you reckon would be worse for the United Kingdom? Brexit and three types of vegetables, or no Brexit and gammon revolt?

What would a Gammon revolt look like, multiple heart attacks?

So five cabinet members are going to meet over the weekend and try to persuade May to change the deal.

This is five members who supported the deal, had a chance to resign and didn’t do so.

They’re going to ask for changes to a draft agreement that the EU has already said won’t be changed.

In particular they’re going to ask for changes to the backstop, the most contentious of issues, that will fundamentally change the nature of the backstop.  They must know that they have zero chance of that getting changed.

What do they do once they’re unsuccessful?

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So five cabinet members are going to meet over the weekend and try to persuade May to change the deal.

This is five members who supported the deal, had a chance to resign and didn’t do so.

They’re going to ask for changes to a draft agreement that the EU has already said won’t be changed.

In particular they’re going to ask for changes to the backstop, the most contentious of issues, that will fundamentally change the nature of the backstop.  They must know that they have zero chance of that getting changed.

What do they do once they’re unsuccessful?

"We tried our best."

"We must all now get behind this deal."

"It would be counter productive to resign."

"We will bide our time before stabbing Theresa in the back."

32 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"We tried our best."

"We must all now get behind this deal."

"It would be counter productive to resign."

"We will bide our time before stabbing Theresa in the back."

I don’t see it.  If you’re a Remainer it’s a really shit deal, and if you’re a Leaver it is an even worse one.

The idea that this deal is “taking back control” in any way, shape or form is beyond laughable.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t see it.  If you’re a Remainer it’s a really shit deal, and if you’re a Leaver it is an even worse one.

The idea that this deal is “taking back control” in any way, shape or form is beyond laughable.

I was being facetious, Granny...

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

From an NI perspective it's a very good deal economically (in the short term, maybe in the longer term, too) Business organisations and the Ulster Farmers Union have been very supportive of this deal. Also it gives the fishing industry here - such as it is - encouragement.

However, in the long term it's a bad deal constituitonally - it separates us from GB and can only lead to greater separation in the years to come, and having to adhere to EU rules and regulations with no input, although I'm not sure how much influence our MEPs wielded in Brussels/Strasbourg.

On the other hand NI voted "Remain". On the third hand it was a UK wide vote. What to do?

From an NI perspective it's a very good deal economically (in the short term, maybe in the longer term, too) Business organisations and the Ulster Farmers Union have been very supportive of this deal. Also it gives the fishing industry here - such as it is - encouragement.
However, in the long term it's a bad deal constituitonally - it separates us from GB and can only lead to greater separation in the years to come, and having to adhere to EU rules and regulations with no input, although I'm not sure how much influence our MEPs wielded in Brussels/Strasbourg.
On the other hand NI voted "Remain". On the third hand it was a UK wide vote. What to do?
It's a great deal for NI m8. Business is very supportive of this, unfortunately the DUP don't care about the economy and are more concerned with some battle that happened several hundred years ago.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's a great deal for NI m8. Business is very supportive of this, unfortunately the DUP don't care about the economy and are more concerned with some battle that happened several hundred years ago.

You don't half post some shite...