Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

ONLY 2 OPTIONS FROM HERE.

OPTION 1 -- New leadership team of JRM, Boris etc and a 100% hard Brexit.

OPTION 2 -- 2nd Referendum where "Remain" must win and a return to the old status quo.

There's no doubt that this whole episode including today's resignations is all a carefully contrived plan to force this 2nd referendum, which, in their minds, will make all the bad things go away.

There are no "good" options to be honest and I'm pretty sure "option 1" would trigger a 2nd Scottish referendum in which the "Yes" vote would undoubtedly have a landslide.

The bottom line is that politics across this whole country is a shambles and the word "crisis" is now very apt.

Thanks David................

There's every chance you could get option 1 plus a no vote.

Even as a yes voter, I'm putting all my (EU approved in weight and size and shape) eggs in the option 2 basket.    A second referendum is about as good as anyone can ask for at this point, other than UKIP gammon folk who would be delighted with option 1.

There is a third option, which is a(nother) general Election, but Christ knows where that would get us.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

ONLY 2 OPTIONS FROM HERE.

OPTION 1 -- New leadership team of JRM, Boris etc and a 100% hard Brexit.

OPTION 2 -- 2nd Referendum where "Remain" must win and a return to the old status quo.

There's no doubt that this whole episode including today's resignations is all a carefully contrived plan to force this 2nd referendum, which, in their minds, will make all the bad things go away.

There are no "good" options to be honest and I'm pretty sure "option 1" would trigger a 2nd Scottish referendum in which the "Yes" vote would undoubtedly have a landslide.

The bottom line is that politics across this whole country is a shambles and the word "crisis" is now very apt.

Thanks David................

There will not be a Hard Brexit.  In the unlikely event of Mogg, Johnson, etc. beating May in a leadership election the deal would still have to come back to Parliament and there is no majority for a Hard Brexit.

If May is beaten in a leadership election by a 'compromise candidate' that person would still have to bring forward a proposal that will win a majority in Parliament.  I cannot see how that can happen.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There will not be a Hard Brexit.  In the unlikely event of Mogg, Johnson, etc. beating May in a leadership election the deal would still have to come back to Parliament and there is no majority for a Hard Brexit.

If May is beaten in a leadership election by a 'compromise candidate' that person would still have to bring forward a proposal that will win a majority in Parliament.  I cannot see how that can happen.

Yup.  At this point, I'd put the chances of likelihood as:

1. A general election

2. A second referendum

3. A soft Brexit

4. (By some distance) A hard Brexit

1 and 2 may well be the same thing.

Actually, I forgot about OPTION 3, which is a REAL shocker.

Antonio Blair makes his long awaited comeback with his new centre party flanked by our old friends Peter Mandelson and Ed Miliband, SOS goes out to all his "New Labour" worshippers, defections aplenty both from Labour and disillusioned centre right careerist Tories (and probably Gove if you offer him a decent gig) and bob's yer uncle, the new Blair led Centre party rescues British Politics from the abyss.

Hopefully, I've just got a vivid imagination as this nightmare scenario would just be too much to take..................

The bizarre thing is that whilst May will probably beat any challenger I don't see how she can come out of this any stronger.  All it will do is further highlight the divisions in the Tory Party and if 48+ Tory MPs vote against her then they sure as hell will not support the current proposal.

Just now, WATTOO said:

Actually, I forgot about OPTION 3, which is a REAL shocker.

Antonio Blair makes his long awaited comeback with his new centre party flanked by our old friends Peter Mandelson and Ed Miliband, SOS goes out to all his "New Labour" worshippers, defections aplenty both from Labour and disillusioned centre right careerist Tories (and probably Gove if you offer him a decent gig) and bob's yer uncle, the new Blair led Centre party rescues British Politics from the abyss.

Hopefully, I've just got a vivid imagination as this nightmare scenario would just be too much to take..................

Sounds good to me.

3 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Sad thing is that if there was a general election the Tories would probably still win it.

Yup.  Jeremy Corbyn believes in a lot of good and decent things, but as leader of the opposition he's been worse than incompetent.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The bizarre thing is that whilst May will probably beat any challenger I don't see how she can come out of this any stronger.  All it will do is further highlight the divisions in the Tory Party and if 48+ Tory MPs vote against her then they sure as hell will not support the current proposal.

That's why I think a General Election is the most likely outcome from all of this.  The government is completely unmanageable under current conditions.  And actually, you could argue that a Labour government would have little more wiggle room.  Its an absolute mess.  Almost as if it were designed by a nefarious overseas state or state-sponsored agency

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That's why I think a General Election is the most likely outcome from all of this.  The government is completely unmanageable under current conditions.  And actually, you could argue that a Labour government would have little more wiggle room.  Its an absolute mess.  Almost as if it were designed by a nefarious overseas state or state-sponsored agency

If there were a GE all party manifestos would have to make their position on Brexit clear.  That would be tough but I think the parties who tried to fudge or prevaricate would pay dearly for it.

It would also make life difficulat for individual MPs.  They would not be able to get elected/re-elected on a specific Brexit position then renege on that position.

I am not sure how the Conservative manifesto could even be put together.

ETA I think a second referendum is more likely than a GE.

Edited by Granny Danger