Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Labour abstentions won't see it passed if Tories rebel. The government need votes not abstentions.

I'm basing my view on the assumption that some of the Tories tough talk towards May won't actually turn into votes against her deal.

If we're being honest it's all guesswork atm.  I admit it could go either way. 

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve just had a look at the Twitter feeds of some of Labour’s ‘usual suspects’ and they seem to be clamouring for a second referendum.  This seems the polar opposite of allowing May’s proposal to skate.

Corbyn’s lack of support for this, and his general lack of leadership on the whole, is the bigger threat IMO.  If he screws this up he will risk losing a lot of the grass roots support who have put him where he is.

Even Brexiteers like Hoey will be opposed to the proposal due to the NI situation.

You could be right.

FWIW i spoke with an SNP MP last night who's opinion was that Tories will by and large fall in line and that Labour will be split enough for it to pass. I assume they base this on the feeling on the ground at Westminster. To be honest, who the f**k knows anything anymore. 

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
13 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Well no. You are comparing apples and oranges.
EU rules about private competition in public transport or utilities are in no way comparable to QE policies.

I'm comparing lemons with lemons - all Governments indulge in rule-bending when it suits them, so let's not call out only those in the EU.

You can't compare QE which has basically had the effect of giving free money to the wealthy and something like nationalising the trains which would remove private profit.

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

I wonder if May will ever answer a question. She ignored Blackfords 2nd point. He will need to be more canny on how they are framed.

It doesn't really matter though, does it? PMQs has been a marginally less minter of a charade than QT for years. It's for the commentariat to sound off about and nobody else.

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Dominic Grieve is the perfect example of English Tory spinelessness.

He would have been great ordering men to run into machine gun fire in WWI.

Grieve is and always has been a spineless toady - first to the royals, now to his dear leader. 

Even without reading it and the news last night, I think most of the cabinet will back this and it will get through parliament too.

I may well be wrong, but might as well stick it out there before trying to claim credit when/if it does work out for the Tories.

SNP, Lib Dem, DUP, ERG Tories, some Labour may well vote against it ; but I have a feeling this deal (whatever it may well be in full) will have enough support from the 'rebels' of the Tory party, and some Labour support, some abstain to see it pass. 

Let's see how the next few days/hours go.

One very joyful thing though has been reading political Twitter is the seethe this causing in Gammonland. Just have a read of any Tweet and the replies :)

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I can understand why Tory Remainers might back it; it is as close to BINO as they could have hoped for.  It is the Brexiteers who will face a humiliating climb down if they decide to go along with it.

I think some people are forgetting it's just a temporary deal for the transition. Both remainers and brexiteers can imagine getting the deal they want at the end, meanwhile trade can go on more or less as normal. I'm hoping it will become increasingly clear during the transition (if the deal passes) that the best option by far is fully staying in the EU.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think some people are forgetting it's just a temporary deal for the transition. Both remainers and brexiteers can imagine getting the deal they want at the end, meanwhile trade can go on more or less as normal. I'm hoping it will become increasingly clear during the transition (if the deal passes) that the best option by far is fully staying in the EU.

If it locks in an Irish veto on leaving the customs union and permanently locks NI into the single market then it's more than just temporary.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

If it locks in an Irish veto on leaving the customs union and permanently locks NI into the single market then it's more than just temporary.

The hardcore Brexiteers will think that's unenforceable if we just go for a hard brexit and decline to accept the authority of the European Courts.