Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Leaving the EU would be a piece of cake if people were prepared to accept a hard border in Ireland.

I am not being flippant.

I think it would cause huge damage but that issue aside any kind of Brexit could be agreed.

As an aside that’s yet another poster from this forum I have put on ignore.  :(

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Leaving the EU would be a piece of cake if people were prepared to accept a hard border in Ireland.

I am not being flippant.

I think it would cause huge damage but that issue aside any kind of Brexit could be agreed.

As an aside that’s yet another poster from this forum I have put on ignore.  :(

Leaving would also be a lot easier if there were no border and a customs union. What's difficult is leading the EU, no hard border and no customs union. And despite booting the can along a road for years now, that's the best the UK can come up with. It wasn't an option over 2 years ago and it's not an option now.  Still, £350m a week saved eh? 

4 hours ago, boosarker said:

They are both complex, that's why the Scottish Government produced a white paper on what independance would mean.  The leave campaign just wrote some made up shit on a bus.

Not just the leave campaign - think there was an item on BBC news that the government itself had absolutely no plans in place for a potential Leave vote.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Not just the leave campaign - think there was an item on BBC news that the government itself had absolutely no plans in place for a potential Leave vote.

...and yet you would never have thought that given how smoothly things have gone.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I think most of us had worked that out for ourselves without the need of a BBC news item.

3 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-46109213

Really bad news for Dundee.

Lots of talk about a change in demand being to blame.

There is no mention, but Brexit, and the likely impending trade barriers to the EU must have been a factor.

Many more such shocks to come I fear.

They should stick to jam, jute and the Sunday Post.

(I nearly said journalism there.)

Britain's place in the world...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/brexit-is-teaching-britain-its-true-place-in-the-world-1.3688454

Now the nation is facing the painful truth that the UK is not as pre-eminent as it has liked to believe.

For proof, look at the negotiations over the Irish border. One need not get into the rights and wrongs to see that the UK has essentially been pushed around by Ireland, because the EU has thrown its weight behind the demands of its continuing member. The hard fact is that the power imbalance has meant the UK is being forced to choose between the chaos of a no-deal Brexit or undermining the constitutional integrity of one of its four sovereign parts and signing up to a significant amount of rule-taking. This is what happens when a single country that is not America or China negotiates with a global trading bloc.

Britain's place in the world...
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/brexit-is-teaching-britain-its-true-place-in-the-world-1.3688454

Now the nation is facing the painful truth that the UK is not as pre-eminent as it has liked to believe.
For proof, look at the negotiations over the Irish border. One need not get into the rights and wrongs to see that the UK has essentially been pushed around by Ireland, because the EU has thrown its weight behind the demands of its continuing member. The hard fact is that the power imbalance has meant the UK is being forced to choose between the chaos of a no-deal Brexit or undermining the constitutional integrity of one of its four sovereign parts and signing up to a significant amount of rule-taking. This is what happens when a single country that is not America or China negotiates with a global trading bloc.

This isn't news, Britain has been a minter for years

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This isn't news, Britain has been a minter for years

Can you tell that to several colleagues of mine who are very rule Britannia and think we should just tell the EU to "f**k off"?

I sincerely wish I was kidding with this:(

9 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Can you tell that to several colleagues of mine who are very rule Britannia and think we should just tell the EU to "f**k off"?

I sincerely wish I was kidding with this:(

Yes, it always makes me laugh when people belt out "Britannia rules the waves" when we've got virtually no Navy anymore !!!