Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 hours ago, doulikefish said:
4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
Ruth Davidson and Fluffy threatening to resign over TM brexit plans over fears it strengthens the indy argument.
Hard brexit all but inevitable, saw it coming personally.

Roothie is resigning from what???

Good question. Resign as a conservative party member? As leader of the Scottish Tories? As an MSP?

Whatever she resigns from she will have my complete support and backing.

Quote :

"The Sunday Times also claims the Scottish Secretary, David Mundell, and Ruth Davidson, leader of the Scottish Tories, have also made clear they would resign if Northern Ireland faces new controls that separate it from the rest of the UK.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

An MEP for 34 years, so only a non-entity because the European parliament was ignored by the British media due to the outdated  imperial twilight attitudes that have got us into this mess. The bit about a convergence in the language used by Arlene F and Barnier is worth watching. Still think this is going over the edge of the cliff due to Corbyn's hard left agenda and Rees-Mogg and co's far right one, but good to see a glimmer of hope.

From what was being bandied about in the media last week I thought things were heading towards a compromise of sorts rather than a No Deal.

Heard a proposal on the radio on Friday to make Northern Ireland an Enhanced Economic Area (or some such), basically a Free Port, and that would solve the problem, channelling imports/exports (from RoI, presumably, can't see it working for the entire world)  through Northern Ireland ports. There's a paper prepared by the NI Federation of Small Businesses, published on Friday last apparently, and it has been sent to interested parties, including all the NI political parties. 

From what was being bandied about in the media last week I thought things were heading towards a compromise of sorts rather than a No Deal.
Heard a proposal on the radio on Friday to make Northern Ireland an Enhanced Economic Area (or some such), basically a Free Port, and that would solve the problem, channelling imports/exports (from RoI, presumably, can't see it working for the entire world)  through Northern Ireland ports. There's a paper prepared by the NI Federation of Small Businesses, published on Friday last apparently, and it has been sent to interested parties, including all the NI political parties. 
That would be the same as keeping NI in customs union

38 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
45 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That would be the same as keeping NI in customs union

That wasn't the way it was explained.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06nptx5

Edited by Jacksgranda

Mundell can resign as a government minister, not so clear on Davidson. The Scottish Tories are still Unionist in their mindset, but I could easily see Theresa May being just as willing as the Iron Lady was back in the 80s and Ted Heath was in the 70s to push NI on a course towards an eventual UI if she still had a solid majority. The DUP are very lucky to have the leverage they have.

The whole backstop thing has been code for you can go easily with a reasonable trade deal as long as we only have to deal with sea borders. Otherwise it's got to be the customs union, which was what TM appeared to be close to agreeing to last week with the open-ended all UK backstop but Rees-Mogg and co would go bananas over that, unfortunately. So near but yet so far.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Mundell can resign as a government minister, not so clear on Davidson. The Scottish Tories are still Unionist in their mindset, but I could easily see Theresa May being just as willing as the Iron Lady was back in the 80s and Ted Heath was in the 70s to push NI on a course towards an eventual UI if she still had a solid majority. The DUP are very lucky to have the leverage they have.

The whole backstop thing has been code for you can go easily with a reasonable trade deal as long as we only have to deal with sea borders. Otherwise it's got to be the customs union, which was what TM appeared to be close to agreeing to last week with the open-ended all UK backstop but Rees-Mogg and co would go bananas over that, unfortunately. So near but yet so far.

As long as they weren't straight ones they could probably accept  it...

no really buying the whole Mundell and Davidson to resign on a point of principle story.

That would infer that they actualy have a bit of political spine capable of standing up to Westminter. All the evidence from their careers up until now is to the contrary.

Fair play to them if I am wrong.

8 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

no really buying the whole Mundell and Davidson to resign on a point of principle story.

That would infer that they actualy have a bit of political spine capable of standing up to Westminter. All the evidence from their careers up until now is to the contrary.

Fair play to them if I am wrong.

Aye I'd have to agree.

also can you realistically see Fluffy getting another prominent front bench role? Because I can't 

Maybe it's just me, but all this dancing on head of a pin about the eventual small print rather ignores a fundamental point - whatever Brexit is arrived at will be a disaster, it will just be a question of scale.
It reminds me of my trade union days in the 70's when the employer would leak rumours of 200 redundancies when in reality they sought 100. Some of the less astute members adopted the 'Ah well, that's no' so bad' attitude when the facts emerged. It feckin was if you were one of the 100....

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Maybe it's just me, but all this dancing on head of a pin about the eventual small print rather ignores a fundamental point - whatever Brexit is arrived at will be a disaster, it will just be a question of scale.
It reminds me of my trade union days in the 70's when the employer would leak rumours of 200 redundancies when in reality they sought 100. Some of the less astute members adopted the 'Ah well, that's no' so bad' attitude when the facts emerged. It feckin was if you were one of the 100....

In that case, I suggest we set off a rumour that the sun is expected to go supernova on March 28th.  Problem solved.

For those of us recovering and preparing for a nightshift can you elaborate?
Rabb and Barnier in talks right now, they reckon a deal could be announced later. Foster is saying no deal is likeliest outcome. I'd suggest it involves some differences for NI. I'd expect a cabinet walkout starting as early as tomorrow

The deal that was rumoured to be in place appears to have collapsed according to what's on twitter at the moment. Suspect the issue that ultimately hinged on will have been whether or not there can be a time limit on the all UK EU-UK customs union backstop as Theresa May needed to add that to stop the imminent wave of cabinet resignations.

Edited by LongTimeLurker