Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

The DUP seem to be intent on preparing the ground for an eventual UI so would have thought you should be pleased. Ultimately it only boils down to the DUP if the Lib Dems and SNP were to both play selfish politics rather than do the sensible thing and get some sort of rational deal in place rather than contributing to the worst case scenario.  Not hopeful on the SNP voting with the Tories in what would effectively be a confidence motion, so it's probably only the Lib Dems can avert the catastrophe of a no deal exit. Rees Mogg and co will probably still send things over the edge, unfortunately.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
12 hours ago, Colkitto said:
Out of the Customs Union and Single Market. Backstop for N.Ireland. 

Over to you Arlene and probably Nicola too....

? What backstop. Has the UK shifted their position here. If not, why would the bigot Arlene be annoyed?

If rumours are true then May has agreed to a backstop in N.Ireland. Barnier has mentioned the UK will leave the CU & SM.

This effectively puts the EU/UK border in the Irish Sea. The DUP will not accept this under any circumstance and withdraw support to May's government.

With a Budget coming up the DUP will not support it. Which leaves  May as PM but cannot govern. A total mess in other words.

For me, it's the ideal scenario for indyref2. Scotland out of the EU and out of the CU & SM too. There is N.Ireland  with no border with the Republic and still effectively in the CU & SM.

This will also kill the scarestory of a border with an independent Scotland and England stone dead. How can N. Ireland get a special deal and Scotland (who also voted to remain) did not?

Former PM John Major said this leading up the Brexit referendum "UK with a shrunken economy, not just a diminished United Kingdom on the world stage, but a smaller country in a very real and literal sense. The most successful union in world history would be broken apart for good.”

If rumours are true then May has agreed to a backstop in N.Ireland. Barnier has mentioned the UK will leave the CU & SM.
This effectively puts the EU/UK border in the Irish Sea. The DUP will not accept this under any circumstance and withdraw support to May's government.
With a Budget coming up the DUP will not support it. Which leaves  May as PM but cannot govern. A total mess in other words.
For me, it's the ideal scenario for indyref2. Scotland out of the EU and out of the CU & SM too. There is N.Ireland  with no border with the Republic and still effectively in the CU & SM.
This will also kill the scarestory of a border with an independent Scotland and England stone dead. How can N. Ireland get a special deal and Scotland (who also voted to remain) did not?
Former PM John Major said this leading up the Brexit referendum "UK with a shrunken economy, not just a diminished United Kingdom on the world stage, but a smaller country in a very real and literal sense. The most successful union in world history would be broken apart for good.”
Wish John would just f**k off tbh. Don't disagree with some of the stuff he says, but he's not going to sway many

24 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Wish John would just f**k off tbh. Don't disagree with some of the stuff he says, but he's not going to sway many

Don't think he will sway many either, but he could see even before the Brexit referendum took place how it could all unfold. Lets hope he's right!

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/tom-peterkin-the-english-tories-who-care-more-about-brexit-than-union-1-4813350

... Still in Northern Ireland, 86 per cent of Leave voters say that a Yes vote in a second Scottish independence referendum is an acceptable price for EU withdrawal. Given that Leave voters in Northern Ireland are overwhelmingly of Unionist persuasion, these findings make one wonder quite what kind of Union it is that they actually believe in.  As one of the academics behind the study – Professor Ailsa Henderson of Edinburgh University – put it: “There is evidence that Brexit is dislodging long-held red lines about the Union. If even Unionists in Northern Ireland care less about the territorial integrity of the UK than pursuing Brexit, then it really raises questions about the type of Union we’re in, and indeed what Unionism means.” ...

1 hour ago, RiG said:

BoJo lying so much that even his own sister calls him out on it is really quite delicious.

He’s fucking desperate.  This is his last throw of the dice.  If he can’t use Brexit to achieve his political ambition then he is fucked.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

John Major, and Michael Heseltine (was on Scotland Tonight yesterday), have some cheek to lecture people on voting for Brexit when they’re two of the most responsible for causing the Leave vote in the first place.

What makes you say that? They were/are both strongly pro EU and Major took years of flack from his backbenchers over it.

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:
John Major, and Michael Heseltine (was on Scotland Tonight yesterday), have some cheek to lecture people on voting for Brexit when they’re two of the most responsible for causing the Leave vote in the first place.

I'd say Blair was far more responsible by instantly offering full free movement to the Eastern accession countries when there was no need. Other members like France and Germany put a 3 year delay on it. We had around a million new arrivals in the first year, which established contacts for later migrants even when the rest of Europe opened up.

P.S. Got my numbers wrong. It was more like 100,000 in the first year compared to an expected 12,000, 1.4 million in total by 2015. Germany delayed  full freedom of movement to those new members for 7 years, not 3.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd say Blair was far more responsible by instantly offering full free movement to the Eastern accession countries when there was no need. Other members like France and Germany put a 3 year delay on it. We had around a million new arrivals in the first year, which established contacts for later migrants even when the rest of Europe opened up.

Ireland opened up at the same time and took in a higher percentage of new arrivals per capita than the UK

Unless Blair is responsible for British xenophobia I'm not sure what you are talking about

Yes I’ll never forget them leading the leave campaign, spinning xenophobic soundbites and putting blatant lies on the side of a bus which garnered huge publicity. But it was all that cosying up to Nigel Farage they did that really clinched it.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That might have created a problem for the rUK and had much to do with the majority vote to leave, but it was good for Scotland.

I hope some kind of freedom of movement arrangement can still be worked out with Scotland post brexit  - if not, there should be an automatic call for indy2.

Ireland opened up at the same time and took in a higher percentage of new arrivals per capita than the UK

Unless Blair is responsible for British xenophobia I'm not sure what you are talking about

Irish politicians promote the message of how much they're gained from the EU, hardly any British politicians do. Blair single handedly created a massive demographic change in certain areas which UKIP was able to exploit, and the EU got all the blame. I'm all in favour of freedom of movement, but it could have been handled much better, without giving instant fuel to the bigots and those who manipulate them. The numbers in the first year were 10 times what Blair anticipated, mainly due to most other countries phasing it in.

What makes you say that? They were/are both strongly pro EU and Major took years of flack from his backbenchers over it.

Yes I’ll never forget them leading the leave campaign, spinning xenophobic soundbites and putting blatant lies on the side of a bus which garnered huge publicity. But it was all that cosying up to Nigel Farage they did that really clinched it.

I’m not talking about their views on the EU. I’m talking about the governments they served under or led that helped to cause widespread impoverishment and alienation that left people with no belief in the status quo that Remain campaigned on.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Irish politicians promote the message of how much they're gained from the EU, hardly any British politicians do. Blair single handedly created a massive demographic change in certain areas which UKIP was able to exploit, and the EU got all the blame. I'm all in favour of freedom of movement, but it could have been handled much better, without giving instant fuel to the bigots and those who manipulate them. The numbers in the first year were 10 times what Blair anticipated, mainly due to most other countries phasing it in.

Are you including Scottish politicians in that sentence?