Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

It’s stated often enough that the English parliament will reject a “no deal” Brexit. Can anyone explain this? Let’s imagine that a majority of MPs say no to no deal (if the Maybot does go off that cliff). Given they’ve already voted to activate Article 50, securing March next year as the leave date, what does their rejecting no deal actually achieve?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45616308
Looks like Labour’s position could become crystallised and offer a clear alternative to the Tories.  I can see Parliament rejecting any alternative May puts before it and a second vote becoming the only game in town.
Gammon coronaries left, right and centre being an added bonus.

Labours position was to trigger article 50 the day after the ref

Why the f**k do gammony Brexiteers (Raab on Marr, for example) get away with claiming the EU forces second referendums on countries when they, the EU, don’t like the first answers? It’s the individual countries who decide and legislate for second referendums. If the UK holds a second referendum it will be because its parliament votes for one - why no one challenges lying c***s like Raab when they claim the EU is responsible is infuriating.

29 minutes ago, doulikefish said:
38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
So?

Corbyn and co want a hard brexit just as much as the moggs and farages

Corbyn doesn’t want a hard Brexit but he definitely wants a Brexit.

But he’s going to be isolated in his own party I think and will back what the conference agrees.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Corbyn doesn’t want a hard Brexit but he definitely wants a Brexit.

Well access to the single market means the 4 freedoms plus a cash payment. 

I am not really able to see a better deal than full membership or hard brexit. I have no clue what he seems to want other than hard brexit. 

12 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Well access to the single market means the 4 freedoms plus a cash payment. 

I am not really able to see a better deal than full membership or hard brexit. I have no clue what he seems to want other than hard brexit. 

I think he wants a negotiated Brexit but he faces the same problems as May.  His position on Brexit has been unclear and he’s been lucky that he’s not been scrutinised more.

I get the impression that some posters on here would be pissed off if Labour/Corbyn managed to avoid us going of the edge of a cliff.

Personally I would be delighted.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

...I get the impression that some posters on here would be pissed off if Labour/Corbyn managed to avoid us going of the edge of a cliff.

Personally I would be delighted.

Why is Kate Hoey still a Labour MP? Corbyn's unwillingness to boot out the hard core hard Brexit extremists from his party and bring the rest of his party under control of the Labour party whip on this issue is a big part of why things have reached the point they have. He should have been able to push harder to draft amendments coordinated with the Lib Dems and SNP that pro-Remain Tory rebels would be willing to back so that a soft Brexit outcome could be engineered. Open goal after open goal has been squandered on that. The problem is that a lot of his relative success in the most recent general election came from a UKIP to Labour swing, so it's not clear that he actually wants to avoid a no deal exit.

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

There is no way Labour will have the stones to get behind another referendum on the EU. They have absolutely no bottle whatsoever.

I disagree, it would be a face saving way to change policy and allow them to refute claims of opportunism. Assuming Labour could get the bulk of their MPs aside from the obvious dissenters like Field & Hoey to back the switch it would probably have majority support at Westminster and create even more problems for TM & the Tory party . 

It's the smart move!

Edited by btb

5 minutes ago, btb said:

I disagree, it would be a face saving way to change policy and allow them to refute claims of opportunism. Assuming Labour could get the bulk of their MPs aside from the obvious dissenters like Field & Hoey to back the switch it would probably have majority support at Westminster and create even more problems for TM & the Tory party . 

It's the smart move!

He is facing a couple of serious votes on the mechanics of the Labour party, one on a new deputy leader and others with the unions pushing to regain some lost power. He is making appeasing noises to the majority of the membership that support remain for conference. 

His position post conference will be the thing to watch. 

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Why is Kate Hoey still a Labour MP? Corbyn's unwillingness to boot out the hard core hard Brexit extremists from his party and bring the rest of his party under control of the Labour party whip on this issue is a big part of why things have reached the point they have. He should have been able to push harder to draft amendments coordinated with the Lib Dems and SNP that pro-Remain Tory rebels would be willing to back so that a soft Brexit outcome could be engineered. Open goal after open goal has been squandered on that. The problem is that a lot of his relative success in the most recent general election came from a UKIP to Labour swing, so it's not clear that he actually wants to avoid a no deal exit.

I can understand Corbyn’s stance without agreeing with it.

His position is the Tories and a Tory government got us into this mess I’ll back off whilst they make a complete c**t of it.

Electorally it may be astute, politically it ain’t because eventually he will need to offer an alternative.

It’s funny that given all the criticism of Corbyn/Labour little is being asked of the SNP.  Sturgeon’s position could be clearer.

I say that as an SNP member who tries to take a balance view.

9 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

He is facing a couple of serious votes on the mechanics of the Labour party, one on a new deputy leader and others with the unions pushing to regain some lost power. He is making appeasing noises to the majority of the membership that support remain for conference. 

His position post conference will be the thing to watch. 

It should be bringing down the government.