Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

There is definitely a change in media coverage but there's not much evidence of opinion changing.

My opinion is that a second referendum won't happen as rank and file Tory MPs won't go for it. They know that the people they rely on to elect them voted leave and would again.

7 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Didn’t nearly 47% of English Voters support remain? Seems to me that there is a currently a greater change of direction happening down south (in terms of now supporting a second vote), than anywhere else.
The stark reality of Brexit is starting to bite amongst those who were previously ambivalent, even after the vote.
(An opinion only btw, based on recent conversations with friends, relations and customers in England. Reckon they need all the help and encouragement they can get).

Burnley voted 66% to leave - 33% to remain.

Strangely I seldom seem to encounter any of the 33% (Maybe they don't drink much!)

I did meet one once - a lovely old Lancashire lad, who admitted  to me that he had voted  to remain, but said :

"I keep very quiet about it, lad"

All I hear from the Brexit punters is that everybody  - politicians, the media, etc etc, just need now to shut up now and get on with it.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This Brexit thing isn't happening lads

I could believe that. Or else, there are so many concessions that the BorisFarageGoveReesMogg types form a new right-wing party and gammons take to the streets.

Either way it looks good for Scots Indy.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Try saying that in the pubs in and around the Burnley area - or in most areas of England for that matter.

I'm reliably informed that civil unrest would break out on a scale never seen before in this country. It will make the poll tax riots that finished off Margaret Thatcher in the early 90's seem like a stroll in the park.

The irony presumably being that most of the non-indigenous residents of the Burnley area are from, or have their family origins in, countries like Pakistan which the last time I looked wasn't in the EU.

The civil unrest point however is not over-dramatising the situation, and I think the months ahead will be increasingly fraught.  Deep in the darkest recesses of their minds our politicians must know that any widespread contagion could not be controlled by the civil or military authorities and yet still the madness persists.

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Try saying that in the pubs in and around the Burnley area - or in most areas of England for that matter.

I'm reliably informed that civil unrest would break out on a scale never seen before in this country. It will make the poll tax riots that finished off Margaret Thatcher in the early 90's seem like a stroll in the park.

By whom?

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The drinking fraternities in Burnley who know absolutely everything.

They'e probably almost as well informed as you are.

If I were predicting civil unrest I would not expect anyone to take me seriously.

However, on a serious note, I think there will be a slew of really pissed off folk if Brexit doesn’t go ahead.  I’m not quite sure how the frustration will manifest itself but sporadic outbursts of stupidity wouldn’t surprise me.

I think there will be political outbursts too and the Kippers and the likes of the EDL will try to capitalise on this.

Folk just wanted to get rid of foreign folk and stop othet foreign folk coming to the UK as they've been conditioned to blame them for all their woes by failed politicians and complicit media. Their tiny wee racist brains didn't realise that Brexit would involved anything else

11 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Why are folk from Burnley being brought into this? Who gives a f**k?

If we treat Burnley as a metaphor for all those places where folk will be unhappy if there’s no Brexit I think it’s a worthwhile discussion.

Whilst I think it’s crazy to proceed with Brexit, over 50% of those who voted did so for it.  There will be people who will be genuinely upset if they feel that the ‘democratic decision’ is not seen through.

Whatever happens we are facing a very polarised country.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Commenting on the Sky Data poll, Liberal Democrat leader Sir Vince Cable said: "In overwhelming numbers, people are concerned about the negative consequences of Brexit.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If I were predicting civil unrest I would not expect anyone to take me seriously.

However, on a serious note, I think there will be a slew of really pissed off folk if Brexit doesn’t go ahead.  I’m not quite sure how the frustration will manifest itself but sporadic outbursts of stupidity wouldn’t surprise me.

I think there will be political outbursts too and the Kippers and the likes of the EDL will try to capitalise on this.

I suggest that the possibility of a number of "Jo Cox incidents" happening could become a genuine risk. Particularly if the media and some politicians from the nutjob end of the spectrum continue with this "traitor treason, who are these people" pish. 

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The drinking fraternities in Burnley who know absolutely everything.

They'e probably almost as well informed as you are.

My anecdotal evidence is that there is a persistent air of English exceptionalism that won't be shifted.

We all know the type, they rail against the cheating foreigners yet ignore the black fish raping of the North Sea as a piece of bad luck.

(Damn those scientists, we've been fishing these waters for generations and we know what we're doing) (waves fist at meddling, overpaid Eurocrats)

Barmy Burnley Brexit Blunder

If we treat Burnley as a metaphor for all those places where folk will be unhappy if there’s no Brexit I think it’s a worthwhile discussion.
Whilst I think it’s crazy to proceed with Brexit, over 50% of those who voted did so for it.  There will be people who will be genuinely upset if they feel that the ‘democratic decision’ is not seen through.
Whatever happens we are facing a very polarised country.

But what Brexit did they vote for?