Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Reading the comments sections on the BBC, Independent, etc. is illuminating.

Apparently if the EU countries have difficulty exporting goods to us only they will have problems.  No recognition of how integrated manufacturing is, or that some of the goods may be vital medicines.

Also whist the Dutch have already recruited 960 new customs officers the appropriate government department can’t even confirm how many customs officers we employ.

If it were not so serious it would be hilarious.

Yeah but we buy loads of BMW's so they need us more.:blink:

8 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

According to defacto pm Mogg the benefits of Brexit wont be seen for 50 years emoji23.png

https://www.channel4.com/news/ways-to-change-the-world-a-new-channel-4-news-podcast-jacob-rees-mogg-mp

This is very close to the truth, May is PMINO but doesn’t posses the self respect to resign or fight.  Not that I have the slightest bit of sympathy for the mess she had got herself into.

She will deservedly go down as in history as am absolute disaster as PM.

Raab on Marr saying that he's still trying to convince fellow cabinet members about Theresa May's Brexit plans.
Strange, because I thought they were all in agreement after Chequers.
It's a shite plan Hard and Soft brexiteers don't like it. EU hates it.
Squaring a circle and all that.

28 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Raab on Marr saying that he's still trying to convince fellow cabinet members about Theresa May's Brexit plans.

Strange, because I thought they were all in agreement after Chequers.

Boring old fart John Major talked a lot of sense on the current state of play on Brexit.

49 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

According to defacto pm Mogg the benefits of Brexit wont be seen for 50 years emoji23.png

https://www.channel4.com/news/ways-to-change-the-world-a-new-channel-4-news-podcast-jacob-rees-mogg-mp

Which is much as I thought about the Scottish independence vote. Not necessarily 50 years but certainly a decade or so before we would see the benefit of any of independence.

I can also see similarities with Raab's statements regarding not paying the divorce settlement without a deal being agreed and Salmond saying we wouldn't take our share of national debt without a sterling arrangement.

It's totally incredible that we are asking serious questions on stockpiling food on a flagship national political programme in 2018. Even more incredible is a UK Government Minister doesn't  dismiss the idea!

What I don't understand is how my scotch meat will be missing from the shelves. Or my bread/potatoes etc. All produced in Scotland or the UK.

Most of my food is as local as I can get it. OK, it might get more expensive and imported goods may disappear under the Armageddon picture painted by some but I simply do not believe the more extreme opinions.

When the EU is facing a trade war with the US, I do not believe they would have another with us.

I could be wrong and we'll all starve by April/June next year but I doubt it.

What I don't understand is how my scotch meat will be missing from the shelves. Or my bread/potatoes etc. All produced in Scotland or the UK.

Most of my food is as local as I can get it. OK, it might get more expensive and imported goods may disappear under the Armageddon picture painted by some but I simply do not believe the more extreme opinions.

When the EU is facing a trade war with the US, I do not believe they would have another with us.

We don’t produce enough food to feed ourselves. Stick a few days waiting at Calais on delivery of fresh food from Europe and we’re fucked as that food doesn’t stay fresh.

ETA: Not to mention prices going through the roof due to the decrease in supply.

11 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

We don’t produce enough food to feed ourselves. Stick a few days waiting at Calais on delivery of fresh food from Europe and we’re fucked as that food doesn’t stay fresh.

ETA: Not to mention prices going through the roof due to the decrease in supply.

19 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'm not all that clued up on exactly what goes into the meat I eat (probably a good thing in some ways!) but I'd hazard a guess that while it may technically be produced here, a significant chunk of farmyard equipment, feed, fertilizers etc. that are involved in the process are all directly or indirectly linked to the EU...

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t be disrespectful.  I died in two world wars so you have the freedoms you enjoy today.

FFS, only two? What about The Boer War you white feather wearer you?

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm not all that clued up on exactly what goes into the meat I eat (probably a good thing in some ways!) but I'd hazard a guess that while it may technically be produced here, a significant chunk of farmyard equipment, feed, fertilizers etc. that are involved in the process are all directly or indirectly linked to the EU...

c9ff2af0b2c75587915c15ab62fde04d_f3946.png

The next time you're in a supermarket, go round the fruit and veg and meat and look at the country of origin labels on the packaging or the shelf. I guarantee you at least 90% will be from somewhere other than the UK. Someone a few pages back mentioned hearing people saying 'well, we were alright before the EU' and yes, it'll be just like that, in that you'll only be able to buy five different vegetables for most of the year. Hope you enjoy your potatoes, carrots, leeks and turnips.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

I don’t think we’ll starve either, but your “it won’t be that bad” schtick flies in the face of all the evidence including that provided by the government’s own agencies.

In contrast I’ve yet to see a credible study that supports the JRM line that we will all be better off.