Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
6 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:
What

Ok, lets try this one. Citizens born in NI are automatically allowed citizenship of ROI due to GFA, I'd say that's pretty unique between two sovereign nations in Europe.

Something not completely dissimilar happens in Bosnia with Croatian citizenship and things arguably get pushed further there because Bosnian Croats get to vote in Croatian general elections and have representatives in the Croatian parliament. This happens across a hard border on the outer edge of the EU.

Something not completely dissimilar happens in Bosnia with Croatian citizenship and things arguably get pushed further there because Bosnian Croats get to vote in Croatian general elections and have representatives in the Croatian parliament. This happens across a hard border on the outer edge of the EU.
So every person born in Bosnia today is automatically given Croatian citizenship?

So every person born in Bosnia today is automatically given Croatian citizenship?

No, but I think they have right of residence. Have a look at the Mamic case - he's fled to Bosnia but if he doesn't get his term commuted on appeal then he can be made to serve the time in a Bosnian nick due to some legal treaties they have.

"...not completely dissimilar..."
If you want to go there you can say any person who was born in the ROI before 1937 is entitled to British citizenship. The Good Friday Agreement enshrines citizenship for generations going forward. To say it doesn't make the NI/ROI border unique in European terms is frankly ridiculous

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:
"...not completely dissimilar..."

If you want to go there you can say any person who was born in the ROI before 1937 is entitled to British citizenship. The Good Friday Agreement enshrines citizenship for generations going forward. To say it doesn't make the NI/ROI border unique in European terms is frankly ridiculous

Beyond the semantics of all of this, what's the significance in practical terms? Are you saying the GFA is incompatible with a hard border being implemented? If so, how? It's a bit like Catalan UDI. Saying something is the case over and over because you want it to be true doesn't cut it in international law terms.

Beyond the semantics of all of this, what's the significance in practical terms? Are you saying the GFA is incompatible with a hard border being implemented? If so, how? It's a bit like Catalan UDI. Saying something is the case over and over because you want it to be true doesn't cut it in international law terms.
Of course it is. GFA states ROI government and British government are neutral; It's up to NI to decide fate. NI voted remain so of course the whole thing is incompatible. Not to mention part of the UK get to keep EU citizenship (travel, work benefits) and part to not
The whole thing is incompatible..
Sooner we get a United Ireland the better imo

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Of course it is. GFA states ROI government and British government are neutral; It's up to NI to decide fate....

They can only do that through a border poll called by the Westminster government's NI Secretary, if there is solid reasons provided to believe that the UI option would win. In other words, the UK government as the sovereign state involved is a not a neutral observer, but has signed up to a mechanism through which UI can be peacefully achieved. I don't see how that changes in any way with a hard border beyond the effect it will undoubtedly have on public opinion.

30 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
36 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:
What

Ok, lets try this one. Citizens born in NI are automatically allowed citizenship of ROI due to GFA, I'd say that's pretty unique between two sovereign nations in Europe.

Ah see now you're adding caveats.  You said unique. 

Has anyone heard from Theresa Villiers about all this? She was the talking head every time the Irish Border came up before the referendum. I’d like somebody to ask her about her claims on the issue then compared to what is actually happening now.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I’m fairly sure she told us all that it wasn’t really an issue and everything will be fine because she used to be NI Secretary. Detailed stuff. Then she chucked the toys out of the pram when she didn’t get a Cabinet position. c**t.

If there’s going to be a hard Brexit then there needs to be a no confidence vote against the government.
I reckon there will be a few Tories supporting this or abstaining but not enough for it to succeeed.  If it’s a straightforward vote it will be interesting to see how the likes of Hoey votes.
IMO the chances of a hard Brexit now look more real now than at any time before.

You know my views on Brexit - heart says soft Brexit, head says hard Brexit to hasten independence vote.l

43 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
45 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
You know my views on Brexit - heart says soft Brexit, head says hard Brexit to hasten independence vote.l

Careful what u wish for. If they don't settle the NI border issue then we will be threatened with a hard border with England

If only we could have a hard border with England.

Not looking good for the EU to show the flexibility May claimed to be expecting:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44903652

You'd almost get the impression that certain Westminster politicians have yet to grasp that Britannia no longer rules the waves. How dare Johnny Foreigner expect to be able to do things his way and not hop along to London's tune.

Not looking good for the EU to show the flexibility May claimed to be expecting:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44903652
You'd almost get the impression that certain Westminster politicians have yet to grasp that Britannia no longer rules the waves. How dare Johnny Foreigner expect to be able to do things his way and not hop along to London's tune.
Mogg [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tory Farmers Suffering
:lol:
If only someone had warned them this might happen. Also, the state of the comments on that story is something to behold. Brexiters, to the last man and woman, are absolute fucking morons. 
GET.

IT.

FUCKING.

UP.

YE.

There are working class people in this country who think that thier interests are aligned with those of the like of Jacob Rees fucking Mogg. In that regard, unfortunately we deserve to be doomed to failure and despair. Its fucking mind boggling.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Working class people in this country who think that thier interests are aligned with those of the like of Jacob Rees fucking Mogg. In that regard, unfortunately we deserve to be doomed to failure and despair. Its fucking mind boggling.

It's fucking mental. A couple of the boys I go hillwalking with are leave voters, and think it'll be fine because we "managed OK before the EU:lol:

I expect old c***s to vote leave because they're largely selfish, pull-up-the-drawbridge b*****ds, absolutely mental though that anyone of working age with kids would vote for something that will almost certainly f**k up their futures. Fucking idiots.