Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-philip-davies-letter-of-no-confidence-theresa-may-conservative-leadership-race-a8454286.html

Tory MP Philip Davies submits letter of no confidence in Theresa May

'It is with much sadness that I have to say that  have also lost trust in her to deliver the referendum result too'

The squablling gets louder

4 hours ago, mjw said:

Turns out the pairing mistake was nothing of the sort and a tory whip told Brandon Lewis to ignore the deal and vote anyway.
Absolute shysters.

Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, replied:

I’m grateful to [Carmichael] for his measured words and I’m glad that he did indeed meet with the chief whip. I have, as I made clear yesterday, been absolutely assured that it was an administrative error. I sought to explain to the House yesterday that in pairing it is very often the absence of an hour or two and therefore the administrative complexity around managing temporary pairings during the course of a day are quite significant. I also made clear to the House that [Brandon Lewis], by virtue of the conversations I had with him - it was absolutely clear to me that he was totally unaware that he was paired with [Jo Swinson]. I myself texted [Swinson] and I have made very clear to her that I will continue to ensure that her maternity pair is in place. I apologise again for that error that took place, and also reassure the House that it did not change the outcome of that division.

This explanation is odd because Jo Swinson, the Lib Dem MP, needs a pair because she has just had a baby and is on maternity leave. It is not as if she was planning to vote in some divisions, but not others. And Lewis did not not take part in most of the divisions on Tuesday night (honouring the pairing arrangement). But he did take part in the two closest ones (one of which the government won, and one of which it lost.)

This is what Andrew Bridgen, the Conservative MP, told the Daily Politics a few minutes ago when asked what he thought actually happened in the broken pair incident. (See 12.23pm.) He said:

I think the fact that Brandon Lewis abstained on six votes and then just mysteriously voted on the vital two - I think it tells you all you need to know.

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-philip-davies-letter-of-no-confidence-theresa-may-conservative-leadership-race-a8454286.html

Tory MP Philip Davies submits letter of no confidence in Theresa May

'It is with much sadness that I have to say that  have also lost trust in her to deliver the referendum result too'

The squablling gets louder

Just 47 more to go...

Still has to get the party nomination though. From a quick look she voted against the hunting ban, against EU workers already here being allowed to stay and against an elected House of Lords. Can't see that being a popular stance in Vauxhall.
She is in the wrong party.

If I were a Labour voter (I'm a long lost former one) I'd be disgusted at plenty of them - John Mann anyone ? - but at least that right-wing creep Woodcock in Barrow has finally fucked off.

I read yesterday that Hoey’s CLP are preparing a call for her suspension and deselection.

New explanation for the pairing, erm, situation...………………...

1. Ready for this explanation? Tory sources say chief whip considered but did not go through with telling any MPs on short term pairs to vote even though they weren’t meant to

2. But Julian Smith did, by accident, they say, tell Brandon Lewis to vote, breaking the long term pair of Jo Swinson

Pinocchio_Lying.jpg

It's all beginning to unravel...………….

A Tory source confirms @JulianSmithUK did instruct Tory MPs who had “short-term” pairs to break them (though apparently he didn’t succeed), in a frantic attempt to maximize government vote on trade bill (hence text from @JulianSmithUK I quoted in earlier tweet). But...

...he wasn’t trying to break long-term pairs with those on maternity leave. Which is why he apologised to @joswinson when @BrandonLewis broke pair with her. This is a genuine distinction but is it a proper and ethical one? You decide

19 minutes ago, Comrie said:

But the EU still needs us more than we need them, right? Right?

One Tory minister (possibly Heaton-Harris) quoted on the radio today saying just that.

The reality is that a hard Brexit would be really bad for the EU and a disaster for us.

One Tory minister (possibly Heaton-Harris) quoted on the radio today saying just that.
The reality is that a hard Brexit would be really bad for the EU and a disaster for us.

Correct. Nobody had ever said this will be good for the EU. The problem is the utter c***s driving this are waiting for a last minute heel turn from them that isn’t going to happen. That’s why we’re so fucking disorganised.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Anyone in Scotland who now wouldn't vote for independence is demented

Really? Alex Salmond and co assured us there would be no hard border after independence regardless of what happened on currency use and EU membership. It now should be abundantly clear to all that's not necessarily the case. A no deal or hard Brexit puts Scotland in a very difficult position because the rUK would be the main trading partner but will have needlessly isolated and impoverished itself Free State/Eire post-partition style, and there is no land border with the EU to pivot away effectively enough from that market to undo the damage caused by adding a border with the rUK into the equation. Kenny MacAskill is right in that priority number one right now for anybody who isn't completely obsessed with independence to a degree that is unhealthy should be reversing Brexit and not tilting at windmills with an indyref2.