Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

Not true. Ping pong can go on for as long as both sides want it to.

Ultimately the Government can let the bill fall before the current session is prorogued, and bring it back in the next session with the intention of using the Parliament Acts. 

Not what they taught me in university.  I'm pretty sure it's three times.

7 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Not what they taught me in university.  I'm pretty sure it's three times.

The Parliament Act 1911 meant the Lords could only "reject" the same Bill three times before the Commons could force it through. That was amended by the Parliament Act 1949 to reduce it to two. 

But "reject" in this sense is a failure to agree before the session ends. The two houses can make as many attempts to agree as they want (so-called ping-pong). 

Edited by The Master

1 minute ago, The Master said:

The Parliament Act 1911 meant the Lords couldn't only "reject" the same Bill three times before the Commons could force it through. That was amended by the Parliament Act 1949 to reduce it to two. 

But "reject" in this sense is a failure to agree before the session ends. The two houses can make as many attempts to agree as they want (so-called ping-pong). 

Interesting.  I'll take your word for it.

The Lords can overturn Commons amendments by themselves amending the Bill to remove the amendments. It's then up to the Commons to decide whether or not to agree.
When the Bill arrives back in The Commons it will have the exact wording the Lords want it to have as an Act, along with an accompanying document with explanatory notes as to the amendments made.  Nothing will be "suggested"; anything the Lords agree to amongst themselves will stand part of the Bill at the point it is sent back.
As I wrote above. The Lords can't overturn anything, they can amend and return. Commons makes the rules..

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
25 minutes ago, The Master said:
The Lords can overturn Commons amendments by themselves amending the Bill to remove the amendments. It's then up to the Commons to decide whether or not to agree.
When the Bill arrives back in The Commons it will have the exact wording the Lords want it to have as an Act, along with an accompanying document with explanatory notes as to the amendments made.  Nothing will be "suggested"; anything the Lords agree to amongst themselves will stand part of the Bill at the point it is sent back.

As I wrote above. The Lords can't overturn anything, they can amend and return. Commons makes the rules..

If the clauses added last night no longer stand as part of the Bill when it returns to the Commons, the Lords have overturned them. 

The commons can subsequently reverse that, but then need to send it back to the Lords for them to agree. And so begins the ping-pong.

If the clauses added last night no longer stand as part of the Bill when it returns to the Commons, the Lords have overturned them. 
The commons can subsequently reverse that, but then need to send it back to the Lords for them to agree. And so begins the ping-pong.
Perhaps we are disagreeing on the language used. I also believe that last nights custom bill was 3rd reading therefore Lords will merely have to accept and move for Royal approval. In other words they won't be overturning anything here; May has shat the bed.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 minutes ago, The Master said:

Perhaps we are disagreeing on the language used. I also believe that last nights custom bill was 3rd reading therefore Lords will merely have to accept and move for Royal approval. In other words they won't be overturning anything here; May has shat the bed.

It's only passed its Commons stages.

It's not even had First Reading in the Lords. 

That’s the Lib Dem’s spent the past 3 years moaning about being judged on their betrayal over tuition fees only for the two biggest hitters in the party to ignore a vote on the one issue they’ve campaigned on since 2016.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

That’s the Lib Dem’s spent the past 3 years moaning about being judged on their betrayal over tuition fees only for the two biggest hitters in the party to ignore a vote on the one issue they’ve campaigned on since 2016.

They're trying to blame Labour this morning, saying that they changed their mind at the last minute to oppose rather than abstain making the vote much closer than it would have been.

Genuinely not sure who to believe tbh. 

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
16 minutes ago, The Master said:
It's only passed its Commons stages.
It's not even had First Reading in the Lords. 

This is the same bill that's been pinging back and forward for the last 2weeks is it not ie the Customs bill? This was to be done and dusted pre summer recess

This is the Taxation (Cross-border Trade) Bill.

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2017-19/taxationcrossbordertrade.html

Fair enough, then your point stands(too many bills); it will probably be amended by Lords and sent back. However Lords has no power to overturn legislation hence my original point

17 minutes ago, The Master said:

They're trying to blame Labour this morning, saying that they changed their mind at the last minute to oppose rather than abstain making the vote much closer than it would have been.

Genuinely not sure who to believe tbh. 

Politics in Westminster is a good percentage optics and you would at least expect Vince Cable to realise that they should be opposing every Brexit vote to appeal to the rabid FPBE lot who hold Corbyn singularly responsible for Brexit. Some of them have been going wild on Twitter about the Libs this morning. Would expect the Greens, SNP and Plaid to be picking up some new members.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
8 minutes ago, The Master said:

Fair enough, then your point stands(too many bills); it will probably be amended by Lords and sent back. However Lords has no power to overturn legislation hence my original point

I didn't say they would overturn legislation. I said they would (could) overturn the amendments (which would then have to be either approved or undone by the Commons).