Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

47 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

In what way?

That we were definitely leaving the single market.

I’m willing to accept we’re leaving the EU, I’m willing to accept it might be better to leave the single market, customs union etc. But it’s total bs to say 52% voted to leave the single market (that’s not aimed at you btw, rather the folk who use “will of the people” as no 1 reason for a “hard” Brexit).

Who'd have thought that democracy was just an illusion eh? 

Even if you're all for the EU, you've got to admit democracy is dead.

Oh...And bye bye to any idea of an independant scotland (not that it was ever going to happen with the fake nationialsts in charge).

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The version of Brexit that was being sold to voters was an illusion

And you didn’t need to be part of the intellectual elite to spot that

It was pedalled by a mixture of multi millionaire tax avoiders, quislings and 5th columnists.

That we were definitely leaving the single market.
I’m willing to accept we’re leaving the EU, I’m willing to accept it might be better to leave the single market, customs union etc. But it’s total bs to say 52% voted to leave the single market (that’s not aimed at you btw, rather the folk who use “will of the people” as no 1 reason for a “hard” Brexit).

Less than 52% of population regularly vote the UK Government in. They also vote them in with much more vagueness of information than 'Do you want to leave EU?' Yes/No. I hate the idea of brexit but we live in a democracy

52% of the population didn't vote Leave, though. In fact, not even 52% of the total electorate voted Leave. 52% of the 72% of the electorate that turned out voted Leave. Indeed, it would be a total nonsense to suggest that the 17,410,742 Leave voters all had exactly the same reasons for voting the way they did, or had identical beliefs about what the final Brexit deal would and should entail.

It is also extremely flawed to compare pluriparty elections with dichotomous referendums, as a rule. 

17 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Less than 52% of population regularly vote the UK Government in. They also vote them in with much more vagueness of information than 'Do you want to leave EU?' Yes/No. I hate the idea of brexit but we live in a democracy

Fair enough. I totally disagree though! We’re leaving EU: no problem. Leaving single market might be best option: no problem. The vote means we need to leave single market: absolute shite.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

If you needed or wanted more proof that Yorkshire is full of vicious racists then he's another 'your da' type from Barnsley.

The type of Brexit these people want can't really be defined as "hard or soft Brexit"

more something down the lines of "f**k the country right up and put us back years Brexit"

Edited by zidane's child

The whole referendum, the build-up and the aftermath from the start was a clusterfuck and an omnishambles. Absolutely zero clarity from the Leave side regarding how an exit from the EU was going to happen and no ideas how to go about it, and the Remain campaign was weak as f**k.

The only thing the referendum achieved was giving the idiotic Little Englander types who think that leaving the EU will automatically make the UK a world superpower again a platform to spout their pish.

The whole thing can get in the fucking sea.

Imagine being so racist that you get into a seething mess at someone for exercising their democratic right and not wanting to hand a few Tories the total authority to stamp all over Britain to deport out a few Europeans.

Part of me wants a 'kick your back doors in' Brexit where the places like Yorkshire go into a 20 year recession.

Here's an eloquent, well thought out contribution to a Commons debate about some of the potential dangers of  poorly managed referendums:

"Referendums should be held when the electorate are in the best possible position to make a judgement. They should be held when people can view all the arguments for and against and when those arguments have been rigorously tested. In short, referendums should be held when people know exactly what they are getting. So legislation should be debated by Members of Parliament on the Floor of the House, and then put to the electorate for the voters to judge.

We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. For referendums to be fair and compatible with our parliamentary process, we need the electors to be as well informed as possible and to know exactly what they are voting for. Referendums need to be treated as an addition to the parliamentary process, not as a substitute for it.

What is being said to them, however, is you vote, and we'll decide what sort of region you will have.

As it stands, the Bill is an affront to those principles. It asks people to vote for proposals that are unspecified, untried and untested."

Who was this thoughtful MP I hear you ask?

Spoiler

1200px-Official_portrait_of_Mr_David_Dav

David Davis, speaking about regional assembly referendums back in 2002.

oP0adX1.gif

12 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Imagine being so racist that you get into a seething mess at someone for exercising their democratic right and not wanting to hand a few Tories the total authority to stamp all over Britain to deport out a few Europeans.

Part of me wants a 'kick your back doors in' Brexit where the places like Yorkshire go into a 20 year recession.

I understand what you are saying but if you made a visit to Yorkshire, it is entirely possible you will meet a lot of normal people and not a single member of the "foaming at the mouth" brigade that regularly appear on Question Time.

I was down in Yorkshire at the time of the EU referendum and went to York, Scarborough, Harrogate and Leeds.
These are all places that voted Remain.  However, if you watch Question Time or read certain newspapers - you might think no such places exist.
16.8 million people have simply disappeared.

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I understand what you are saying but if you made a visit to Yorkshire, it is entirely possible you will meet a lot of normal people and not a single member of the "foaming at the mouth" brigade that regularly appear on Question Time.

I was down in Yorkshire at the time of the EU referendum and went to York, Scarborough, Harrogate and Leeds.
These are all places that voted Remain.  However, if you watch Question Time or read certain newspapers - you might think no such places exist.
16.8 million people have simply disappeared.

Yeah I think we all fall into the trap of generalising when discussing emotive topics like this.

I can totally understand why people in Barnsley and places with similar industrial histories would be intrinsically sceptical of institutions and associated elites that extol the virtues of markets and free enterprise, even if I disagree with the conclusion the majority of voters there have come to regarding EU membership. 

59 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Here's an eloquent, well thought out contribution to a Commons debate about some of the potential dangers of  poorly managed referendums:

"Referendums should be held when the electorate are in the best possible position to make a judgement. They should be held when people can view all the arguments for and against and when those arguments have been rigorously tested. In short, referendums should be held when people know exactly what they are getting. So legislation should be debated by Members of Parliament on the Floor of the House, and then put to the electorate for the voters to judge.

We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. For referendums to be fair and compatible with our parliamentary process, we need the electors to be as well informed as possible and to know exactly what they are voting for. Referendums need to be treated as an addition to the parliamentary process, not as a substitute for it.

What is being said to them, however, is you vote, and we'll decide what sort of region you will have.

As it stands, the Bill is an affront to those principles. It asks people to vote for proposals that are unspecified, untried and untested."

Who was this thoughtful MP I hear you ask?

Reveal hidden contents

1200px-Official_portrait_of_Mr_David_Dav

David Davis, speaking about regional assembly referendums back in 2002.

oP0adX1.gif

David Cameron allow himself to get bullied with his class mates and  Boris and farage pounced on the immigration card and the British people fell for it.
The Norway option is all that's left there is no middle ground right or left pick your side.