Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

12 minutes ago, strichener said:

If only there was a organisation that the majority of countries in the world recognised as being the regulator of international trade.  Wouldn't it be great if rules had already been established that allowed countries to trade without specific bilateral trade agreements. :rolleyes:

If we don't reach a deal before the EU exit takes effect, then under World Trade Organisation rules both the UK and the EU would be obliged to apply to each other the tariffs and other trade restrictions they apply to the rest of the world.

There is the issue of pre existing 'strings attached' EU deals with various countries such as Turkey, South Korea and Chile. If Britain is to continue with the benefits of these agreements, negotiations will be necessary.

That is because the WTO rules only allow countries to discriminate in favour of a trade partner in a limited number of circumstances - including a full bilateral trade deal.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

Looking at your previous post this is really pot, kettle and black.

:rolleyes:

We've spent less than our overseas aid budget to have free access to our biggest trade partners, and to get much more leverage negotiating with the rest of the world by offering a market of 700 odd million consumers. The cost for companies and the Government to have different rules of product standards, one for EU exports and various ones according to bilateral negotiations will be prohibitive, so we'll just stick with 97% of EU laws. Even the Brexiteers are beginning to realise what a waste of time and effort it is, for no benefit. Soft or hard Brexit we'll have to follow nearly every judgement of the EU but without any input.

The Americans have been celebrating Independence Day.  Oh Boy are they in for a shock!

I have seen the Brexit plans.  Once we have said good riddance to the EU, do you know what's next?

That's right.  We are taking back the colonies.

Poor Donald Trump.  He'll be out of a job.  Don't need him.

20 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Vote Leave campaign director says voting leave may have been an “error”

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/07/vote-leave-campaign-director-says-voting-leave-may-have-been-an-error/

No duh.

He said SOME parts of leaving will possibly be problematical in the future but that will depend on how things pan out.  I doubt there is anyone who would argue with that pov.

Does not make the case for staying though as it is the will of the people to Leave.

The fact that there will be a few problem areas in the future is to be expected and will be dealt with and we will cope. You might not cope, Baxter Parp, but the rest of will cope just fine.

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

The Americans have been celebrating Independence Day.  Oh Boy are they in for a shock!

I have seen the Brexit plans.  Once we have said good riddance to the EU, do you know what's next?

That's right.  We are taking back the colonies.

Poor Donald Trump.  He'll be out of a job.  Don't need him.

I like it ! I want Rhode Island!

9 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.indy100.com/article/barrister-blames-brexit-for-racist-attack-on-woman-niqab-muslim-sunderland-eu-referendum-court-7824281

A man attacked a Muslim woman because he had his 'country' back. His barrister blamed Brexit

Benefits Of Brexit.

His barrister blamed Brexit!.....Aren't barrister supposed to possess a modicum of intelligence?

I blame the racist thug who perpetrated the attack.....end of.  Brexit is unrelated , only a moron would suggest otherwise.

https://www.indy100.com/article/barrister-blames-brexit-for-racist-attack-on-woman-niqab-muslim-sunderland-eu-referendum-court-7824281

A man attacked a Muslim woman because he had his 'country' back. His barrister blamed Brexit

Benefits Of Brexit.

While Tony Hawks, who was defending Scotter, described his client as an "ignorant and ill educated man."

He also added that the xenophobic rhetoric that was prevalent during the EU Referendum campaign, which took place only a few weeks before the attack, possibly influenced Scotter's actions.

It's not so much blaming Brexit as trying to come up with some kind of mitigation, as opposed to a defence, by explaining that his client isn't that much of a c**t all the time and was being particularly cunty because of specific circumstances.

And he's got a point

Whether the judge even vaguely bought that argument is unclear but it was worth a shot.

3 hours ago, McSpreader said:

His barrister blamed Brexit!.....Aren't barrister supposed to possess a modicum of intelligence?

I blame the racist thug who perpetrated the attack.....end of.  Brexit is unrelated , only a moron would suggest otherwise.

Are you denying that there's been an increase in racist and xenophobic incidents since the referendum ?

I recall a friend telling about this club he is in for his electricity and gas supply.

Basically it is run by this guy who is a professional negotiator.  He signs up so many people - I don't recall if it was 300, 3,000 or whatever but after he has signed them up he contacts the energy companies and says something like "I am 3,000 people in my club.  Offer us your best deal and you get all of us.  Otherwise we  go somewhere else."
Personally I can easily understand how that would work - and I can also see people at energy companies getting agitated and wanting to make sure they made it work

At the same time, I am sure there are individuals in the club who say "Hey I have seen that negotiator.  He drinks champagne, wearing a sharp suit, stays in fancy hotels and I am paying his commission!"
One of these individuals might then phone him up and say "Don't take this the wrong way but f*** off." and then go it on their own.  They call the energy companies and say "Hey sod that.  All that paperwork and all that nonsense.  I'm out that.  So now it is just me on my own.  Remember me - I use to have an empire.  Give us your best deal."

Not sure how this is entirely relevant to the Brexit issue but somehow I think maybe it is.

6 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Are you denying that there's been an increase in racist and xenophobic incidents since the referendum ?

Why are you questioning me like I'm a politician?

You are suggesting, are you not, that Brexit is inherently racist and xenophobic? I vehemently dispute that correlation.

The murderous and heinous terrorist attacks will have been a factor in any increased racist and xenophobic reporting, not Brexit.

The false news and climate of fear perpetrated by Remoaners such as Baxter Parp, the BBC, Nick Clegg et al will create a false dichotomy that  some will exploit to their political advantage

As long as Remoaners  falsely portray Brexit as xenophobic there will be those only too willing to brazenly  use that lie whatever the consequences or effect.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

He really didn't. This is Baxter unable to post anything without distorting the facts to suit his own agenda.

Or perhaps Baxter is simply incapable of properly interpreting the written word.

The barrister clearly blamed his client.

You are correct.

Anyone with a basic grasp of the English language will see that, exactly as TopCat described, the barrister was attempting to mitigate his clients guilt.

As we know, barristers are more than happy to twist and stretch the truth or throw in any curved ball  to try to skew justice to the advantage of their client . It would appear Remoaners are cut from the same cloth!