Queen of the South v Linfield

SUPERSOUTH

Just now, Flash said:

Ok. That is plenty for most games.

For the 2 games v Stenny and the Airdrie one, opening the East Stand would have been enough.

No it wouldnt (bear in mind there are about 50 seats covered by tv gantries at the moment too). Well it might just about have been but it would have been too tight to predict with certainty. In any event given the three boxes, dressing rooms, press facilities etc are in the other stand it would never not be open.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No it wouldnt (bear in mind there are about 50 seats covered by tv gantries at the moment too). Well it might just about have been but it would have been too tight to predict with certainty. In any event given the three boxes, dressing rooms, press facilities etc are in the other stand it would never not be open.

You wouldn't need to allocate 900 seats to away fans when they only bring about 30.

The other stand could be open for the reasons you describe, but not open to the public, hence no need for police or stewards. Maybe one to look after the hospitality box.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes we all know what Flash is getting at. And he is of course correct, it would be cheaper to do that though of course only feasible for matches with a likely home attendance under 2000 or so, probably even a good bit lower. However there are pr reasons why that wont happen as long as terraces are permitted whereas no particular incentive to incur additional cost opening a needless terrace for away fans. 

I think it's clear that not everyone did know what Flash was getting at.

I think that in PR terms, it's been a mistake also to keep Terregles Street shut for some games.  I suppose it's a question of where to draw the line.  The furrow Flash is currently ploughing, is designed to show that that's a bit arbitrary.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

You wouldn't need to allocate 900 seats to away fans when they only bring about 30.

The other stand could be open for the reasons you describe, but not open to the public, hence no need for police or stewards. Maybe one to look after the hospitality box.

There are no police in the Main Stand anyway. It would probably still need at least one steward.

The segregation point wouldn't change no matter how many away fans were in attendance. So if there is segregation at all then it would remain where it is (I suppose it could move a few seats along but no further than the first vomitory).

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There are no police in the Main Stand anyway. It would probably still need at least one steward.

The segregation point wouldn't change no matter how many away fans were in attendance. So if there is segregation at all then it would remain where it is (I suppose it could move a few seats along but no further than the first vomitory).

Fair play.

That's a magnificent use of the word "vomitory"

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think it's clear that not everyone did know what Flash was getting at.

I think that in PR terms, it's been a mistake also to keep Terregles Street shut for some games.  I suppose it's a question of where to draw the line.  The furrow Flash is currently ploughing, is designed to show that that's a bit arbitrary.

I'm not bothered about the away terrace being closed. But it is clearly quite expensive to open it, so it must be at least as expensive to open the home terrace. Any pr loss would be made up for by freeing up funds for the team. The home terrace does look good when it is busy. But it rarely is.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

I'm not bothered about the away terrace being closed. But it is clearly quite expensive to open it, so it must be at least as expensive to open the home terrace. Any pr loss would be made up for by freeing up funds for the team. The home terrace does look good when it is busy. But it rarely is.

Aye ok.  Your observations on this are clearly to be taken entirely at face value.  ;)

Behave yourself Flash . The home terrace should never ever be closed to supporters

When was the last time you stood on it anyway ...?

If the covered terrace was closed for certain games I'd hazard a guess that quite a few would be lost in attendance figures for 2 or 3 games at the outset.
Now before anyone has a go at me for suggesting this I would ask the question; have you stood and listened to some of those that constantly moan on the terrace??

PS. This year's front runner for gripe of the season from the central area of the terracing so far is......."We should've let Lyle go, he cannae last 90 minutes"

With this chat about the home terrace I would like to weigh in and say no from a personal point of view. I have tried all three stands and got to say best place in the ground for me is behind the goals.

I do like the idea however towards reducing the costs for the club. Could the idea be raised within the club. I wouldn't be fussed at one or two games if the club targeted predicted low crowds for example we get an u20 team in challenge cup. But I don't get too many games so don't think my opinion counts to much

2 hours ago, Telboy said:

If the covered terrace was closed for certain games I'd hazard a guess that quite a few would be lost in attendance figures for 2 or 3 games at the outset.
Now before anyone has a go at me for suggesting this I would ask the question; have you stood and listened to some of those that constantly moan on the terrace??

PS. This year's front runner for gripe of the season from the central area of the terracing so far is......."We should've let Lyle go, he cannae last 90 minutes"

At least you have the option of moving to another area of the terracing. You can just as easily find yourself sitting next to a bell-end, which can be much worse if it's an allocated seat scenario. I've found myself in that situation a few times watching Scotland...    

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Jeez.

Nobody is seriously suggesting shutting the home terracing for any games.  Stop treating it as a viable proposal please people.

This.

Honestly, this is what happens when Flash tries to be facetious people. Nobody, but NOBODY, is suggesting closing the home terrace for any reason (not even Flash is serious about it). It's not going to be closed as long as terracing is allowed at the level we are playing.

I am being absolutely serious about it. Obviously it won't work if there is going to be an outcry, but I thought it would be a good idea if it is going to save a lot of money.

Archived